PDA

View Full Version : wont turn over FI bike

Jockney Rebel
10-11-2009, 01:22 AM
triumph speed triple 07 model..as per the title ..starter relays makin clicky noises but no turny over was fine on sat
..til i started to fit the acewell to it ...ive disconnected it again and fitted the old buggered instrument pack but still no joy ..panel shows an MIL. but still goes through its diagnostic run.

tried to patch the acewell directly into the packs wiring loom but got no joy ..have i just blown the solenoid or what?

2ndclasscitizen
10-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Does it sound like the starter is spinning? Apparently Speedies of your vintage eat the sprag clutch and won't start.

Deano
10-11-2009, 06:19 AM
clicky noises are usually a flat battery

Hillsy
10-11-2009, 08:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

clicky noises are usually a flat battery

+1. If that's the original battery, then it's due to crap out. You'll won't get much more than 2 years out of a bike battery nowadays.

grindella
10-11-2009, 04:48 PM
It may have been that you conected the acewell unit to a live battery feed and hence drained battery. You may even try jumper starting it and see if battery recovers. Check your battery load voltage should not be less than 10 volts. If lower than 10 volts then get a new battery.

watkins
10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
a few triumph models if the battery is anywhere under 10volts it won't start

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Try jump leads from ya car, if it starts the battery is fugged, easy. A trick OLDSKOOL told me after he stopped laughing at me.

grindella
10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
the battery may not be fuked but just flat, the acewell may have drained battery cause it was hooked up to a battery live and left on for a few days. jumper start of car great idea, I am with you OLD SKOOL BANDIT

boris
10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
before you jump to conclusions get urself a testlight and connect the clip to the earth and check that u have battery power to 1 side of ur solenoid and when u start it see if there is power going through the solenoid if it's clicking (usually a flat battery will make more than 1 click like a machine gun just saying usually) if the power stays the same on the battery side but doesn't pass through the solenoid then it's fucked but if the voltage drops down (u can usually see this by the testlight without a multimeter) then the battery may be flat or fucked it may come down to coincidence that it has happened at the same time or it may be like the others have said that something may have drained it

Jockney Rebel
11-11-2009, 12:35 AM
thanks guys sorted .... the headlamp fuse was blown mustve shorted a wire out somewhere [i wasnt going to connect it till later which is why i didnt notice ]anyway.... apparently speedys wont start if the headlamp fuse blows oi gunny whenyou comin round for a beer

grindella
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
[u]Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 01:35:35
oi gunny whenyou comin round for a beer </u>
If thats me, thanks bout i dont drink and just now no time, right now I really pissed at getting this bike back on the road,it should be a snap (100% standard and 4 years old) well 10 years old but only seen 4 on the road, but it aint. Found place for blue slip, next is tyres and battery ----&gt; the cost, how much, I dont want to be ripped off.

scotty
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Go and get a motorBat battery. just new on the market and by jimmbo(no pun intended) there gunna put roadshite and all the shit cheap crap out of work...
I payed 60 bucks whole sale for a battery as good as yussa.

Jockney Rebel
11-11-2009, 11:33 PM
cheers scotty my batts ok but its on its third year so soon ..
and ..steve ..ok mate anytime ur free ....tea nad biccys then go see paulie at rawson rd ..action workshop m/cs tell him i sent ya he cant do blueys but he'll know wheres best and hes fair

pappas
12-11-2009, 12:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty

Go and get a motorBat battery. just new on the market and by jimmbo(no pun intended) there gunna put roadshite and all the shit cheap crap out of work...
I payed 60 bucks whole sale for a battery as good as yussa.

Have you got a link on them? Google can't find them!

scotty
12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.motobatt.com.au/

pappas
13-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks!

grindella
13-11-2009, 01:04 PM
checked that battery out on the net,loved the gel electrolite it beats acid spils and battery damage on long wheelies, I guessed the battery would be "perfect" for my electrical system, then I went looking but to no advaile, just got garden variety lead acid battery.