PDA

View Full Version : anyone used dunlop GPRa11 tyres

Deano
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
need to get some super sticky tyres for the 600 race bike.
they say they are a track/street tyre and are simply brillant.

anyone got any experience with them?

miniman1
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
One of my mates was using them on his CBR and reckoned they were GREAT!!! But havent used em myself....

Duno if that helps you at all [:P]

80s freak
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Same as miniman, heard great things.

Jockney Rebel
10-11-2009, 01:15 AM
im about to test a set at cooma ill let ya know

Deano
10-11-2009, 06:17 AM
cool. gotta get something sorted in the next week so keen to hear responses

TurboKat
10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
You should know better than to ask for opinions on tyres Deano, what works/feels good on 1 bike will probly not work or feel shit to you on your bike.
On the Kawasaki forum they are always on about "What tyres should I use?" & there are always a dozen different opinions on every make/model of tyre - it's a joke. Because of the plethora of variables with different bikes/suspension setups/rider preferences/skills/applications/pressures/etc, tyres are not something you can give advice on, you just hafta try 'em on your bike & see if they work for you or not.

robmac
10-11-2009, 09:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

You should know better than to ask for opinions on tyres Deano, what works/feels good on 1 bike will probly not work or feel shit to you on your bike.
On the Kawasaki forum they are always on about "What tyres should I use?" & there are always a dozen different opinions on every make/model of tyre - it's a joke. Because of the plethora of variables with different bikes/suspension setups/rider preferences/skills/applications/pressures/etc, tyres are not something you can give advice on, you just hafta try 'em on your bike & see if they work for you or not.

Good advice mate. Anyone got a mate that works in the tyre game to get discounts??

Deano
10-11-2009, 05:07 PM
i don't want advice on 'what tyres should i use' i want peoples opinion on what THIS tyre is like.

seems all the 600 guys are using them but i don't no anyone that has ever ridden on them so hav no idea what they are like for wear and the like. if it is only good for 5 laps then i will choose something else

i will be making my own decsion on what i use but dosn't hurt to listen to other peoples opinions does it?

TurboKat
10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

i don't want advice on 'what tyres should i use' i want peoples opinion on what THIS tyre is like.
i will be making my own decsion on what i use but dosn't hurt to listen to other peoples opinions does it?

You missed my point mate, ALL tyres will work differently on different bikes with different riders so whatever people tell you about THIS tyre or ANY tyre is unlikely to work for you & your bike.
Of course it won't hurt you to listen to other peoples opinions but unless you know they have the same bike & ride at the same pace as you, why would you?

Deano
10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
i cant afford to buy a new set of different tyres every time i ride so any way of 'short listing' some tyre models is a good thing imo

if i adopted a 'buy em and try em' attitude to tyres i would never use the same set of tyres twice and i would be flat broke.

i understand what you mean but i dont take everything i read on the internet or dunlop's add campaign for gospel so that been said how would you arrive at a tyre choice considering that.

1. I have never riden the bike
2. the only treaded tyres i have pushed on the track are the widow makers that you sold me.
3. i want a tyre that is DOT approved for 600 class
4. i can't afford to buy a set of tyre use them for 4 laps and try another set.
5. you can't listen to anyone's opinion or advice cause they don't no what my riding style is like and what my bike is like.

DCRacing
10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Dean,
I Have a bloke i put on one of the race bikes and he will not use anything else other than dunlops swears by them, i couldn't see why until i got on and had a go. They are bloody good,
my 2 cents

Deano
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by DCRacing

Dean,
I Have a bloke i put on one of the race bikes and he will not use anything else other than dunlops swears by them, i couldn't see why until i got on and had a go. They are bloody good,
my 2 cents

are they this exact model?

TurboKat
10-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm not trying to get into an argument with you Deano, the fact is, all the DOT semi slick tyres - BT 016, GPRa11, Power Race, Racetec, etc, will be within a poofteenth of each other in terms of performance & you'd hafta be The Lord to notice any serious differences so you might as well buy the ones that are round & black.

Deano
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
ok great. thank you for your advice mate. black ones it is (the yellow ones would have matched my braided brake lines tho)

DiscoDan
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I reckon if you're looking for 600 race tyres then you're asking in the wrong place as road and race requirements are so different. There's only a few 600 racers here and TK's dead right about the subjective nature of tyres choices. Try posting it in the forums at the formula extreme site, lots of racers there who will be happy to spurt their opinions.

Deano
10-11-2009, 10:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

I reckon if you're looking for 600 race tyres then you're asking in the wrong place as road and race requirements are so different. There's only a few 600 racers here and TK's dead right about the subjective nature of tyres choices. Try posting it in the forums at the formula extreme site, lots of racers there who will be happy to spurt their opinions.

good idea mate thanks

TurboKat
13-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Deano, a bloke on KSRC is having a special on them for $430 a pair including postage, seems pretty cheap but I dunno if that's a good price or not, with a racer discount you might be able to get them locally for a similar price.
http://www.ksrc-au.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27353

scotty
13-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey Deano my mate works for dunflop in r&d and can get them (another mate ride's on the road with them on his mule and love's em) I on the other hand recon the super corsa's are the dogs(i'll get ya a good price on them toooooooooo)
so call me
call me now, I'm wearing....

Deano
14-11-2009, 08:34 AM
fark that is a good price. best i could do was 500 fitted.

got to get something this week

Jockney Rebel
15-11-2009, 09:35 PM
deano ..one word for those tyres ..fukin awesome stickys lol

DCRacing
16-11-2009, 04:40 PM
The tyre that he rides on is a n tech, i haven't looked to see what the code is of them, i have a coulpe in the shed i will have a look and let you know....

Deano
20-11-2009, 04:43 PM
thanks mate.

have scored myself a set of bridgestone slicks. they recon cause it is only club racing no one cares what you run.

ended up with soft front and the new moto gp style rear in medium. the guy was suggesting a 190 for the rear so went with his recommendation. aparently it is the done thing on 600's now days with the new tyre technology (except honda's they still need a 180)

will see how they go but predicting rain all weekend so fingers crossed it stays wet as i really like wet riding (mostly cause everyone else hates it and goes slow)