Jockney Rebel
09-11-2009, 01:44 AM
sheet shame ..if he didnt have bad luck hed have no luck

appo
09-11-2009, 02:04 AM
why disagree??

thejester650
09-11-2009, 10:12 AM
LMFAO!!!! FAIL!!! no surprise though..... seems to be a ritual with him!

Hillsy
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by appo

why disagree??

Because Rossi is still riding next year.....

Tony OW31
09-11-2009, 10:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by thejester650

LMFAO!!!! FAIL!!! no surprise though..... seems to be a ritual with him!

Bit harsh don't you think? He's actually won a world championship, not many can say that.
Do you have any idea of how fine the line between success and failure is at that level?

DCRacing
09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree with you Tony, I don't know the details of why he crashed on the sighting lap, but just for any of those guys to line up shows how good they are..... the rest is just the politics and press of the industry

thejester650
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
yeah i agree Tony the line is very thin between success and failure. but most of the other riders can keep themselves on but Stoner just seems to keep coming off..... he should be well rested too compared to the rest of em because of his 'mystery illness'. Too much of Rossi's exhaust i think!

bladehunter
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I recorded it last night finished early today sat down to watch it, blotted out the news today, and had a bad feeling just before the warm up lap...and fuck me what happens ???????

Cruisecontrol
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

Bit harsh don't you think? He's actually won a world championship, not many can say that.

Nicky Hayden has also won a world championship, so anything is possible...

At that level, mechanical issues aside, falling off on the warm-up lap is inexcusable.

Deano
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Sad finish for Stoner
Sportal
Casey Stoner was left feeling 'frustrated and disappointed' after failing to finish the final MotoGP race of the season in Valencia on Sunday.

The Australian looked well-placed to make it three wins in a row to end the 2009 season after scorching through practice and clinching pole, but the 2007 world champion would never start the race after crashing in the warm-up lap due to his tyres not being up to the right temperature.
He was unable to line up on the grid because his bike was too damaged and he could not make it back to the pit lane in time to use his back-up machine.

Dani Pedrosa went on to win the race in front of his home fans and the victory took him past Stoner into third position on the standings behind world champion Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo.

"Obviously this is a frustrating and disappointing way to finish the season. There have been plenty of highs and lows throughout the year and we have ended on a low, but with another lesson learnt for next season," he said.

"We have had this strategy for two years and not had a problem until today so I guess it is better it happened here than in the first race of next season in Qatar."

"The important thing is that after back-to-back wins in Australia and Malaysia we have shown our pace here at Valencia and we know we have everything in place to be competitive next season if we do the job right over the winter."

It has been a tough year for Stoner with a mystery illness keeping him sidelined for three races, but with the season now over the 24-year-old can focus on getting back to full fitness and is confident of challenging for the title in 2010.

"Now I am looking forward to working on the bike over the next three days and then spending a couple of months building up my physical fitness, which I haven't been able to dedicate myself 100 percent to for such a long time," he said.

"We know it will be hard next year but we are confident that we can be back and fighting again."

It was also a disappointing finish for fellow Australian Chris Vermeulen, who crossed the line in 15th place in his last MotoGP race before switching to the Superbikes next year.

"I want thank everyone at Suzuki and in the team for what they have done in the last four years, we've had some good times - sadly today was not one of them unfortunately," he said.

"I hope the guys get a lot of work done in the winter and come out much stronger. I also want to wish good luck to Loris (Capirossi) and Alvaro (Bautista) for 2010. I have enjoyed working with Loris and will miss the friendship and rivalry that we had together."

Bet on the Grand Prix

Deano
09-11-2009, 04:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by thejester650

yeah i agree Tony the line is very thin between success and failure. but most of the other riders can keep themselves on but Stoner just seems to keep coming off..... he should be well rested too compared to the rest of em because of his 'mystery illness'. Too much of Rossi's exhaust i think!

Round 1 - Qatar - 1st
Round 2 - Japan - 4th
Round 3 - Spain - 3rd
Round 4 - France - 5th
Round 5 - Italy - 1st
Round 6 - Catalunya - 3rd
Round 7 - The Netherlands - 3rd
Round 8 - United States - 4th
Round 9 - Germany - 4th
Round 10 - Great Britain - 14th
Round 11 - Czech Rep. - DNS
Round 12 - Indianapolis - DNS
Round 13 - San Marino - DNS
Round 14 - Portugal - 2nd
Round 15 - Australia - 1st
Round 16 - Malaysia - 1st
Round 17 - Valenciana - DNF

take out the 3 races he missed due to illness and yesterdays problem and to me that looks like a pretty good year. not sure why you believe he keeps falling off.

appo
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hillsy

quote:Originally posted by appo

why disagree??

Because Rossi is still riding next year.....

true.. rossi is a legend!

but.. back the aussie's i say!
I reckon its freekin awesome when we have aussie's mixing it up
amongst the best in these sports!! even webber is scoring
well this year.
makes for wicked veiwing in my book!

tele22
12-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Bloody unlucky.

I read somewhere that the factory's strategy for starting is to have him get the tires up to temp on his spare bike on the sighting lap, then they swap them onto his first bike before the warm up lap and have him warm them up further. Supposed to solve their fueling issues. Not sure how true this is, but it makes sense to me

tele22
12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
found it.

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/3308/ducati-grid-strategy-explained

"Ever wonder why Casey Stoner is usually the last rider to line up on the grid? Simple, Ducati has a special grid strategy, a procedure that allows their riders to complete the race without fear of running out of fuel.

The goal is warm the tires as soon as possible and avoid an excessive fuel consumption. The rider heads out on the spare bike and brings the tires up to temperature as soon as possible with no worry about fuel, because the bike he’s using will not be used in the race.

Instead of heading to the grid, the Ducati rider heads back to the pitlane and changes to his race bike and leaves the lane and rides back on track at a very low speed to minimize fuel consumption. Once on the grid the tires are replaced with those that have been brought up to the right temperature on the spare bike and kept up with tire warmers.

Unfortunately for Casey Stoner, the usual strategy didn’t work today at Valencia, because the Aussie was so psyched up, that he got on his race bike instead of his spare, didn’t return to the pitlane and his tires were simply cold.

Sometimes explanations are much more complicated than simply admitting we fucked up."

Cruisecontrol
12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Sounds like a crock of shit.
Why would you not just put an extra couple of grams of fuel in the tank to account for the extra used during the warm up?

Me thinks it is simply a ploy to have all the other bikes on the grid rapidly losing temperature in THEIR tyres while they wait for him...

gibbo
12-11-2009, 07:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

Why would you not just put an extra couple of grams of fuel in the tank to account for the extra used during the warm up?

Me thinks it is simply a ploy to have all the other bikes on the grid rapidly losing temperature in THEIR tyres while they wait for him...

And the problem with that would be [?][?][?][?][?]
Some of you lot are pretty hard to impress,check the guys record, not too bloody bad. He did win I think 4 moto gp races this year which is 1 more than Nicky Hayden has won in his entire gp career[:0]

megareg
12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Cut from that wikipedia site...

Early years

He competed in his first race was when he was four years old, in an under-nine years old race at the Mike Hatcher's dirt racing track on the Gold Coast of Australia. Between his very first race win at the age of nine and the age of fourteen, Stoner won 41 dirt and long track titles and 70 state titles.[1]

One feat he achieved that illustrates his passion and "need" for racing was at age twelve. Over one weekend he raced in 5 different categories in all 7 rounds of each capacity. A weekend consisting of 35 different races... Not only did he compete in all these categories and different engine capacities, the young Casey Stoner went on to win 32 out of the 35 races. There were five Australian titles to be won that weekend, Stoner won all 5.

The legal age to enter into road races in Australia is 16. At the age of 14 years, Stoner and his parents agreed he was ready to move up onto road racing so they packed up and moved to England - where the legal age for road racing is 14.[1]

From 2000 to 2002, he contested the national 125cc GP championships in Britain and Spain, winning the English 125cc Aprilia Championship in 2000, before moving fulltime to the 250cc GP World Championships in 2002. His season on an Aprilia under the guidance of Lucio Cecchinello was turbulent, with no podium places from 15 race starts.

I'm a big Stoner fan, I'm also a big Rossi fan too, but when the 2 race each other, I'll take Stoner any day, I'm an Aussie and I'll support my fellow countryman and I'm proud of it.

I seem to remember that Rossi lost a world championship because he fell off, Haydon won it that year, a good consistant rider, but not in the class of the "fab four" (Stoner, Rossi, Pedrobot and Lorenzo),

If Stoner can't ride, why is it he is consistantly the best Ducati rider, after all, Caparossi, Melandri and Hayden are good too.

I enjoyed the 2007 year, finally, someone was able to give it to Rossi, and if it wasn't an Aussie, I would have cheered for Rossi, but it was Stoner handing Rossi his arse, turning him into a proctologist, always looking up Stoners arse.....

I would like to applaud Stoners parents, supporting him like they did, believing in him, after all, what other challenges did he have in Australia??? his early record suggests that there were no more challenges until another couple of years when he could road race here, I would have gone to the UK too.

Yes, I was pissed off that Stoner binned it in the warm up, but shit does happen sometimes, we may never know the truth but I'll still be cheering Stoner as long as he races.

I can see Rossi at the Ducati team soon, should be interesting... I'll cheer for Stoner though... I'm an Aussie.... see...

HOS
12-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Stoner is still getting over that virus that wiped him out.
We thought he may have ME at one stage.... hope not [xx(]
Never beat a guy when he`s down ! :(

He is a class act and we hope he gets his shit together for next season.
We have MotoGP at our local track 1st time next year..see ya trackside !!! [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Cruisecontrol
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

And the problem with that would be [?][?][?][?][?]

I have no problem with what they do.
It is when they dress it up with bullshit stories and pretend it is not happening that bothers me.

megareg
12-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Don't forget HOS, you have that "Oxford Scholar" by the name of Bradley Smith in the 125's, I'd reckon he just might take out the championship next year... and join the great Barry Sheene..... eventually, he might decide to live down here too....

HOS
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by megareg

Don't forget HOS, you have that "Oxford Scholar" by the name of Bradley Smith in the 125's, I'd reckon he just might take out the championship next year... and join the great Barry Sheene..... eventually, he might decide to live down here too....

I`ll watch out for him ;)

I was very lucky to see James Toseland in his 1st proper race in 1999(?) at Brands, when he blagged a ride on a 600 superstock bike.
Well, he lead the race for 2/3s of the way. His 1st proper race and he was only 16 years old..... I`ll never forget. That was a VERY competitive class at the time ! [8D]

JackTar
12-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Australia has been doing it against NZ for years why do you think that the Aussies wear their tracksuits while the kiwis do there haka(spelling?) and then remove them painfully slowly at the end of said haka? Gives the kiwis plenty of time to lose the adrenalin rush and to cool back down.

rod185651
12-11-2009, 09:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Australia has been doing it against NZ for years why do you think that the Aussies wear their tracksuits while the kiwis do there haka(spelling?) and then remove them painfully slowly at the end of said haka? Gives the kiwis plenty of time to lose the adrenalin rush and to cool back down.

Shame it doesn't work. when was the last time we won the Bledisloe Cup?

uncle pervy
13-11-2009, 08:19 PM
So what your saying is, we need to get the team back into the rooms and change their boots before running out onto the paddock. OK, worth a shot, in my book

Bear
13-11-2009, 11:11 PM
I read in the latest AMCN today that Stoner just likes to let the field pass so he can warm the tyres up hard with a fast lap, then return to the grid with heat while the rest are cooling down.

Stoner's team blamed the high winds and low track temp for cooling the tyres down more than usual after they removed the tyre warmers and Casey pushed it to hard in the 2nd turn.

That story sounds more believable to me.

Hillsy
14-11-2009, 11:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

I read in the latest AMCN today that Stoner just likes to let the field pass so he can warm the tyres up hard with a fast lap, then return to the grid with heat while the rest are cooling down.

Stoner's team blamed the high winds and low track temp for cooling the tyres down more than usual after they removed the tyre warmers and Casey pushed it to hard in the 2nd turn.

That story sounds more believable to me.

+1. That's just Stoner's ritual. Rossi crouches beside his bike and checks the RHS footpeg (and pulls his jocks out of his arse after the warm up lap [xx(]).

Seeing as Casey does this every race without incident, maybe there was a little "glitch" with the traction control this time??