PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a fibreglass undertail

bjrog2@hotmail.com
08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Morning all,
Been subconsciously thinking about this for the day and cant work it out. Ive bought a "ready-to-install" fibreglass undertail for my ZX12r, and cant work out exactly how to install it. As follows are the steps given in the instrucitons:

- Remove the seats (easy)

- Remove the tail fairing (easy)

- Mount the undertail with the tail fairing, this is to see how much cutting of your undertray needs to be done in order to mount the undertail (wtf!?)

- Once trying the undertail with the tail fairing, proceed to cut your undertray enough to make the undertail fit.

- Once the undertray is cut, mount the tail fairing back to its original place and proceed to mount the undertail.

- bla bla bla about lighting...

Now as far as i can gather, the following is what i understand.

The tail fairing being the ductail (tupperware bullshit covering the subframe)

The undertail being the gloss black fibreglass thing i just paid money for

The undertray??? Is that the abs plastic underbit that the number-plate & indicators are mounted to?

I dont mind chopping it, as ive got an LED taillight in the mail (to replace the red one), and apprently this undertail has the LED's that can be wired into show brake / turning signals. Basically, can someone whose had experience with this tell me exactly what im chopping and how its mounted? Do i remove the whole undertray or mount the undertail over it once all the indicator/numberplate parts are cut off?

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1257689044.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1257667762.jpg

Ben

Docktor
08-11-2009, 01:25 AM
did mine on the thou ducktail and had to remove and modify the under tray as well as the new undertail to make it all fit.

Booster
08-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Had to cut the shit out of my cheap undertail to fit the R1

sit the undertail close to its position and see whats going to interfere , and the undertray would be the "original undertail"

sharky
08-11-2009, 08:12 AM
and ya tail light is illegal....intergrated units not allowed....so be prepared to get stopped by the nice man in the white car...

BANDITROD
08-11-2009, 09:25 AM
just about everything we do is illeagal anyway russ and as far as im concerned i had to cut the shit out of the kwaka to get mine to fit and i have always found that if you are not a smartarse to the plod they will let you go anyway

bjrog2@hotmail.com
08-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Ahhh, thanks a lot fellas, its makin sense now. "Chop the shit out of whatevers stopping it from fitting" - Just what i needed to have clarified.

Oh, and as far as the plod are concerned, yeah theres already a few stuff that would defect it (noise, headlight, riding style, that T3/T4 turbo that my local bike shop are having fun with (Coming 2010))

If i fuck up royally ill post my failure, otherwise thankyou all :)

sharky
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Fair enough...just thought I'd point it out...

bjrog2@hotmail.com
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
No worries Sharky, thanks for that mate

boris
09-11-2009, 07:21 AM
I have the integrated tail light indicators on my gixxer and from what everyone that has followed me on a sunny day has said they are fucking hard to see with the sunlight behind us both the brakes and blinkers but fuck they look cool

Fight_fan
09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I had em on my Zed n had the same story Boris. Apparently the brake light worked well but yeh the indicators were hard to see! So I made sure I covered the brake when indicating, this meant that even if u couldnt see the orange u could still see the red flashing on & off!

bjrog2@hotmail.com
09-11-2009, 04:45 PM
The integrated LED issue isnt a big fuss to me, as ive also got a "smoke" / black taillight to replace the standard red one. Has anyone had any issues with Aftermerket LED rear taillights?

JackTar
09-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Only that the blink faster than originals unless you fit a delay thingimy to it but I just let mine blink faster, anything that helps the dude in the car talking on his phone while he is lighting a smoke see me can't be a bad thing.

rod185651
09-11-2009, 07:26 PM
No issues so far with cops etc.. Just gettinga pink slip once a year can be a little difficult with some mechanics not liking them. But I'm in NSW

JackTar
09-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Pretty sure there is no law that says they must blink at a certain rate, if I was going to get knocked back on a pink slip I would ask for documentation to back up their refusal to do it.

timbo
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
No pink slip to worry about in Vic so game on

rod185651
09-11-2009, 08:06 PM
My bad.. Didn't read the question properly, I was talking about my intergrated tail light blinkers

Booster
09-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I put catseyes indicators back on the R1 figured they were too difficult to see the intergrated ones and that was asking to get run over.... i have a right hand turn off a 80km zone on a highway and nearly been cleaned up before ... don't intend making it easier for them ....

boris
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Pretty sure there is no law that says they must blink at a certain rate

yep there is between 60 and a hundred times a minute I think it is but can check I just bought 2 resistors from bursons that are made by the LED mobs and you solder 1 in each indicator line between earth and power and it's all sweet I think they cost me about $14 each trade

Docktor
11-11-2009, 05:48 AM
got integrated led stop/tail/indicators in my ducktail, didnt even bother wiring up the indicators in the ducktail, coz A, they arent 30 cm apart (vic laws) and B they are a bit hard to see, so i just put another set of indicators on the number plae bracket so make it sorta legal. Now i put a alarm on it, everytime i tried to wire the alarm to my "working indicators" it would screw with blink rates n shit, so my integrated ones now only work as a visual for the alarm.