PDA

View Full Version : chain conversion

angrypom
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
i have recently been given a 81 xj750 so i thought i would fighter it. i dont like the shaft drive is there a way i can convert it to chain drive or would it just not be cost effective. any advice would be really good thanks.

bjrog2@hotmail.com
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Odd looking bike to 'fighter, but why the hell not... From what i can see, it'd be easier to swap the engine / rear swinger for a chain driven engine & wheel of your choice (virago 750 etc)? Just seems like a lot of rooting around to change the hub + gearbox & all the rest...

I could be wrong, i havent been donig this long

sharky
03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
The time, effort and expense would be more than the bike is worth...either live with it or flog it.

Chris41
05-11-2009, 07:16 AM
It will probably cost more than buying another chain drive donor bike to customize.
I looked into building a chain drive XS1100 (Mal Pitman replica) for a mate and It can be done but not that cheaply.

Hillsy
05-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I've got one of those in the shed at the moment. I was offered it dirt cheap so it's sitting in there waiting for my bro-in-law to get back from O/S and ride it <s>into the ground </s> around. From what I have been told, they have a different gearbox set-up to the older XS1100 and are not readily converted to chain like the XS was. So, not do-able really.

If you want to do something a bit different with it, apparently Virago rear hubs bolt straight on, which means you can run spoked wheels instead of cast. Although you're still limited to small(ish) tyre widths due the the shaft swinger (more a cafe mod than fighter).

Those things go forever though, so just use it as a hack ;)

angrypom
07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
thanks guys. i think i just scrub it up and sell it. id prefer and old gixer anyway