PDA

View Full Version : Engine adaptor plates

bladehunter
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Still working on the CB\GSXR demon spawn.

Looking for a way to mount the motor with min frame mods.Front mounts line up height wise in such a way that the engine case\sump joint is just 1 or 2mm above the top of the bottom rail.Rear mounts are not lining up and no amount of ingested alcohol is changing that.
What I was thinking was 2 12mm Aluminum plates to adapt the engine to the frame.
As below.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1257160027.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1257163510.jpg

Intending to put spacers between the plates to keep the spacing or maybe machine it from one solid lump ?

Will this work or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

sharky
02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Don't see anything wrong...
What about taking it back so the straight edge isn't seen...follow the frame curve and then cut out some of the plate ?
Sort of like below...
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1257180363.jpg

Deano
02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
cant see why that wont work. you need more than 1-2mm clearance imo.

once the tension comes onto the output shaft expect it to cock a little to the chain pull side.

i mocked up some headers on the turbo bike working on 3mm clearance and as soon as i got it running the clearance was down to 0mm. even loosing the monts and tweeking the motor back to it original spot didn't work, as soon as there was chain pull the motor moved. had to make new headers.

if you get something done on cad you could get some fancy looking jiggers laser cut or get ben to cnc some out. be worth it. make a feature of it if you cant hide it.

bladehunter
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I like your idea sharky....gunna give them a go myself, decided the other week I need a small mill and now that's leading to CNC hehehe

Yeah the clearance is one thing I went tight on but it was just a proof of concept and to check dimensions

Watto
02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
drag racers mount their motors in chassis with plates similar to this so no reason why won't work on a bike - like sharky's idea of making em a feature

sharky
02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I can help out with cutting the plate if ya need it mate...You make an accurate mdf template and I can knock 'em out easy enough. (don't know what machines you have access to)

ozzy1100
02-11-2009, 10:32 PM
your a man of many tallents russ lol mind with a head like yrs ............. lol

80s freak
02-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Certainly sounds feature worthy to me.

MDM
04-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Those engine plates are cool - loadsa people done engine mounting like that.
One thing though - if you want the rear suspension to work as efficiently as possible, try and get the drive sprocket as close to the swinging arm spindle as possible. Many people keep the engine as far forward as they can, as it looks better and leads to fewer problems with exhaust headers, but then the bike'll handle like a pissed pig... Far better to have to fuck about with exhaust headers and have a bike that handles than be able to bolt on standard headers and then disappear through the hedge on the first coner you come to...

bladehunter
04-11-2009, 02:05 PM
MDM I've thought long and hard about this one, it's been a real bane for me and I know what you're saying.Have even been considering moving the swingarm pivot to a better place.