PDA

View Full Version : handle bar Q

boris
29-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Ok so can I post a serious question here to the folks who have changed their clip ons to fat bars with risers on gixxers or whatever bike how much difference does it make to the handling of the bike and for better or worse? if this is the wrong spot for this question please move it si or large but I'm thinking of converting but am having doubts about the handling aspect
thanks people

Jup
29-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I have found that if I go too high with the bars that handling becomes a real pig, even though I ride sports/tourers mostly I should imagine the same principle would apply with a straight sports bike?

Others may have specific experience but I would suggest starting with the shortest risers you could to try and avoid scaring yourself like I did :O

Weaselman
29-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I have hlaf inch risers on my K1 and much prefer it to clipons.
My bike has a twitchy nature and i feel alot more in control with my bars. But i wouldnt use thin walled bars it'd be fat bars or nothing to stop the flex you will get.
But for me its miles better than clip ons

Bear
29-10-2009, 05:50 PM
I've got risers and fatbar on my R1 and when I'm commuting, I sit more upright and it's relaxed with no handling dramas however, when It's mumbo time, I lean way forward where you would usually be with clipons and the front will bite and turn.

No dramas, really. With original clipons, you're always in race position but with risers, you can sit up when cruising and still get low for extreme riding.

Ask Weasel how my bike handles.

There is only one issue to sitting upright with risers - damn bike wants to wheelie all the time. ;)

Weaselman
29-10-2009, 05:53 PM
yeah bear but aint it fun

boris
29-10-2009, 05:59 PM
lol I don't do many k's like commuting most of my riding is up and down dorrigo half a dozen times a weekend or the nymboida loop and occasionly the oxley highway but we trailer the bikes down there so no long rides now

bjrog2@hotmail.com
29-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Ive got slighty rised (1/2 inch as well im pretty sure)KTM bars on my ZX12r, and havent even come close to a tank-slap. Control is excellent when your bars are nearly 1000mm wide, but it certainly aint for long-long distance cruising

boris
29-10-2009, 08:47 PM
cool this is what I wanted to hear I'm finally gonna fighter the gixxer once I get a motor for this frame and trackbike the old crashed frame(once I get it measured and replace the subframe) so will be looking at risers woohoo

Cruisecontrol
29-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Go half way and get a set of drag bars.
I have had clip-ons, MX bars and flat drag bars on my bike and the drags are by far the best for both comfort and handling.
The MX bars made the front a little light during spirited cornering and it struggled to hold a line and the clip-ons were great for handling but a killer on the commute.

336LJ
30-10-2009, 01:46 AM
fuck - stop reminding me of how much i suck and havnt done this yet, I still cannot decide on the bars either - someone link me to somewhere cheap for drag/fat bars and risers for the zx9.
Was gonna get exben to sort it all out n do it good n proper like but might be able to get some help up here (I should be banned from power tools)

rod185651
30-10-2009, 05:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

fuck - stop reminding me of how much i suck and havnt done this yet, I still cannot decide on the bars either - someone link me to somewhere cheap for drag/fat bars and risers for the zx9.
Was gonna get exben to sort it all out n do it good n proper like but might be able to get some help up here (I should be banned from power tools)

I might be able to help you out mate, I'm thinking of going back to clip ons. So if you can wait until I get back from Cooma, I may have some raisers and flat bars for sale. I also have a clutch cover with window if your interested. Drop me an email.

yoda
30-10-2009, 07:58 AM
as most said, mx bars will make the front light(do you like wheelies?) but are far more comfy for long rides.
just have to get over the front a bit more in the twisties, but, im only 60kgs so where i put what little weight i have makes a big difference. if you're a fat bastard it wont matter!

boris
30-10-2009, 08:42 AM
haha yeah I'm a fat bastard yoda and never been game enough to get into the wheelie thing like I say I don't do many long rides we just like corners so if they will improve the handling in the corners then sweet if not then it's pointless if I put them on then the worse I can do is take them back off and just have holes in my triples

Bear
30-10-2009, 12:33 PM
What the MX bars give away in the twisties for being higher up, they make up for in leverage by the width of the bars. At low speed/tight corners, they're good for cranking the bike from side to side. High speed is where the clipons would be better IMHO.

It is one of those tough calls - you have to ride and try because everyone is different.

Bear
30-10-2009, 12:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

What the MX bars give away in the twisties for being higher up, they make up for in leverage by the width of the bars. At low speed/tight corners, they're good for cranking the bike from side to side. High speed is where the clipons would be better IMHO.

It is one of those tough calls - you have to ride and try because everyone is different and everything is a compromise.

holyman_999
30-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Bear, that almost did my head in... quoting yourself... but adding text... damn... I must be drunk... [:p][:p][:p]

Bear
30-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Buggar me! Don't know how I did that. A slip of the mouse?

boris
23-01-2010, 09:58 PM
finally got to ride the bike today after 7 weeks off while it's been on the bench and holy fuck batman I love it with the fatbars woohoo fun times are here my mate reckons the smile on my dial was from ear to ear when I took my helmet off

jakam04
23-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Good to hear mate... The only part you are missing is my akro exhaust... now that had a note....

MONO
24-01-2010, 06:52 AM
This thread needs pics .............

boris
24-01-2010, 12:54 PM
coming to a thread near you soon gotta get my finger out