PDA

View Full Version : RWC issues on my 94 YZF600R

MaCkCiTy
28-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here... mostly because I've been too busy/lazy to do anything about my bike.

Anyways I took it down to a mates uncles shop to Streetfighter it for me, but he's palmed it off to Hinterland in Nerang and the idea of ripping off the fairing seems to have gone out the window?!?

So the problems that came up on the RWC was

*needs new rear disk (allegedly $240)
*leaking rear shock (needs to go to a shock guy $300ish)
*Speedo backlight
*right front indicator not working (it's not plugged in, I couldn't find the other end of the wires. Didn't look too hard though)
*2xpairs front brake pads
*something about the dodge "fixing" on the front fairings
by last guy. Also the visor has been cut back and a bit sharp, I'm assuming it cracked when it was dropped...

I'm surprised that he didn't pickup the front disks, I haven't ever seen disks that worn ever. Do bike disks get ground back?

But either way the quote was $800-$1000. The way he was going on I thought it would be in the thousands. But I just thought I'd check anyway to see if that quote doesn't sound over exxy?

Or should I take it to the place Si recommended me (the name escapes me at the moment)

Shadowzone
28-10-2009, 10:55 AM
The rear disc sounds about right.

The front brake pads you can change yourself in about half an hour. Buy 2 sets of EBC's from the shop and off ya go.

The speedo backlight is no doubt just a lamp open it up and do it yourself (or if your unsure get them to do it but check the wiring to it first to save the hassle of doing something you dont need to do)

Plug in the indicator stop being so damned lazy.

The fixing on the front fairings? rtell em to get fucked. If they're on and stable they're legal.

The rear shock? Probably cheaper to buy a second hand one for around the $100 mark then flog yours off on scambay for whatever you can get.

As for the visor? An angle grinder and grinding disc should fix it up for you...

80s freak
28-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Used to deal with the boys at Hinterland quite a bit, from within the trade. They aren't the sort of guys to rip you off. The only part that sounds a bit iffy is the fairing. As long as it is securely mounted then it is road worthy but it is up to the inspector's discretion. As for the front discs, I'm suprised they missed them.

80s freak
28-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Oops wrong button,
Yamaha don't give a minimum thickness on their discs, Their only ruling is that the difference between the contact patch of the disc and pads and the inner carrier part can not be greater than 0.5mm.

MaCkCiTy
28-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Well the fairing is "fixed", it just looks like it was done by a 5yr old who got their hands on some araldite. The fairing he said something about just running a rubber seal around the edge.

With getting hands on parts, wheres some good places to look? I've trolled ebay and a few websites and it's hard to find anything YZF600Rs pre 96...

Also with those EBC brake pads, are they good quality. Maybe it was because what I've had was going to poo, but I expected a lot better performance on the stopping side of things. Are there some higher performance ones or should they do the job?

CHEERS!

Shadowzone
29-10-2009, 02:35 AM
Spend the extra get the sintered EBC pads they're ok.

Change your brake fluid while your there because it's robably as old as the hills and bleed the system too and you'll be right the YZF's had a pretty good braking system on them.

oldskool
29-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Get your rear disk from metal gear yourself and save.

MaCkCiTy
29-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I got a disk off Evilbay for $96 inc. Express Post. So yeah, hopefully I get away with spending less than a grand. As well as a GP slipon which is rated at 105db, which my friend is telling me is an absolubt screamer. So after that goes on I'm guessing its a good idea to get tuned/rejetted?

Also apparently the rear shock has leaked whatever oil it had out... I'm really curious to know how this thing is going to go after getting all these bits and pieces sorted!

Good times!

MaCkCiTy
30-10-2009, 09:59 AM
hmmm rear disk came in the mail... it looks huge! Hope I've ordered the right part!

I've got a 94 Yzf600r

That wasn't on the direct replacement list (couldn't find it on any, but it goes...

FZR600 R Rear 94-95
FZR600 RF,RFC,RG,RGC,RH,RHC,RJ,RJC Rear 94-97
YZF600 R-G,GC,H,HC Rear 95-96

So fingers crossed mines in there, I'll find out soon when I head down to the bike shop!

80s freak
30-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Good luck with the disc, When you put your new pads in, scuff up the disc's with some course sand paper. this with stop the new pads glazing and will help them bed in quicker.

MaCkCiTy
31-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Eh, I'm not doing it. I'm probably the most useless prick in the world when it comes to tools.

There was an issue with disk though, the diamiter was 25mm bigger than the stock one. But being a wave disk the guys in the shop weren't sure if you'd measure the 'valley' or the widest part of the disk (a little disconcerting that they weren't sure of that). The models mentioned above though on paper did have a bigger disk than the 94 YZF so I'm pretty sure I've gotten the wrong part. But they said they'll have a crack and see if it clears the calliper... But it seems so random to me that only the 94 would have a different rear break set up compared to those other bikes. Heres to hoping though!

MaCkCiTy
21-11-2009, 10:38 AM
So got the bike back yesterday! They said it would be about a week... so after month it was done! Then I get to the shop before work... it's not finished so after an hour of standing around watching them change/blance the front tyre and do the final check, I'm off to work late!

Enough bitching. On a positive note, this bike is riding like a DREAM! It's like it's gliding down the road!

This morning I had a crack at putting on my new slipon. FAIL! Is there a trick to get the stocko pipe off? I obviously unbolted and loosened the clamp, but it's still tight as a fish! In pulling it, I'm dragging the bike backwards! Then I hurt my thumb and gave up and came here for help.

But while getting around under the bike, the rear shock looks adjustable to me (the stock one shouldn't be). Am I dreaming?
<center>
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/mackcity/shock.jpg</center>