PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man 2011

Gsxar
26-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I know there is probably a post already on it, but shoot me I couldn't find it. But is anyone going to Isle Man 2010?
If one was debating a trip over, what should I know or plan? Any information helpful.......Just thinking about it at the moment ;)

Large
26-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Plan to take/buy/steal/borrow a bike for the event...the freedom will make the experience so much better.

Then...Wait till 2011.

Because that's the 100th anniversary of the "Mountain Circuit"

That's my plan

Hagarr
27-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Call me an'ol maid but when I went in '07 there were way too many people.

Mate went this year and reckoned it was heaps easier getting around because there was heaps less people.

Mind you the entertainment in Douglas was crap, Bushy's was still there but no Rocket Quads or stunts or anything like that.

Apparantly they were trying to push that Music event out towards Peel as in recent times nobody attended.

Definitely take/Beg/steal/Borrow a bike of any capacity!

Gsxar
27-10-2009, 06:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

Plan to take/buy/steal/borrow a bike for the event...the freedom will make the experience so much better.

Then...Wait till 2011.

Because that's the 100th anniversary of the "Mountain Circuit"

That's my plan

Maybe we should arrange a ASF trip
I was thinking of 2011 cause of the anniversary too, but then as Hagarr says might be '2' crowded. Wanna try and combine a GP or two as well. Where is it best to stay? ;)

Gix11
28-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I'll probably be there for 2011. This year was pretty quiet, but compared to the 100th anniversary any year will be quiet (I was there too). They killed thge street entertainment in Doiuglas this year so lots of bods were going back to their local pubs and getting pissed instead. Even the drags were quiet. If you want to ride then sure, quiet is good, although this year mad sunday was pissing down all day.

Best place to stay on the Island? Anywhere you can get! It's not that easy to pick and choose. Douglas is where it (used to) go off but if I had my choice I'd probably stay in Ramsey (but that's just personal preference).

Check a map of the Island and the race circuit and see where you think you'd like to be and I'm sure people who have been will tell you about that area:

This will give you your barings....

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1256766794.png

and this will give you detailed spots to view....

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1256730747.gif

Gsxar
28-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Cheers thanx Gix, we shall study it and come back ;)

thepj
28-10-2009, 06:22 PM
i wanna be at the spot were there going the fastest and getting the most air can you point it out please. 2011 sounds inviting an asf trip could be exciting.

thepj
29-10-2009, 06:20 PM
so what sort of $$ would it cost on average for travel and accomodation being i dont know what shit like thats worth overseas.

Gix11
30-10-2009, 02:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by thepj

i wanna be at the spot were there going the fastest and getting the most air can you point it out please.

Sure, the big blue or red line above. You'll understand if you go.

Gix11
30-10-2009, 02:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by thepj

so what sort of $$ would it cost on average for travel and accomodation being i dont know what shit like thats worth overseas.

Right now you'd get it cheap as all fuck, but who knows what the economy and exchange rate will be like in 2 years?

rock hard
30-10-2009, 02:22 PM
put me down 2011,bought a bike in 2007 cost 900 pounds for 3 weeks which was about the same as renting,ferry about 180 quid from memory we scored accom two weeks for 250 pounds(absolute god send)food and accom is pricey but fuck it its the I.O.M. watch the fuckin germans on the roads they are fuckin nuts..Si is rite about the exchange rates now and in 2 years..think about a couple of things..BIKE INSURANCE is realy hard to get because aussie companys wont cover your bike O.S.and uk companys wont cover you because your not a local..we got a scottish underwriter to cover us 150 pounds for 4 weeks multiply that by 2.5 and it was expensive..but it was worth every cent..And if you get hurt its a big problem gettin home so keep a bit up your sleeve when riding which is realy difficult because you will have a stiffie every time your on the track and holding back is very fuckin difficult

thepj
30-10-2009, 02:26 PM
well i'll have to go so i can see then.

MDM
04-11-2009, 12:31 AM
If you've never been and are merely considering it, then just get on and book it - it's mega, whatever year you go...
As Gix said, any place on the circuit is good to watch for a first-timer, although experienced visitors will have their own favourites, most of which will require your own transport and a big bag of patience as you'll have to get there early and/or walk a considerable distance...
As also mentioned, there was no entertainment on Douglas Promenade this year, although rumour has it that'll change for next year.
And it matters not where you get accomodation, as long as you get it. Plenty of campsites if you're prepared to risk the weather (it WILL rain), but nowadays you don't have to be in Douglas - due to the number of B&B, hotels and guest houses that have closed, there's far more people staying out of town, thus meaning the pubs in Peel, Ramswey, Port Erin, Port St Mary etc all have someone more than happy to share a few pints and some bike-orientated bullshitting!And there's now a decent number of buses to get you into Douglas if necessary...
Don't just sit and wonder 'if', just get it booked!

FIGHTERMC
04-11-2009, 02:07 AM
i have been going since 1997 and only missed
a couple of years and i have seen major changes
over the years but i still get a buzz when its time to go over
and when i land on the island off the boat.
about insurance if you have balls and don't care
and also don't do anything out of the way as in speeding
you won't get pulled if you know what i mean.
not that i would do anything like that lol.
if there are enough of ye get a house
between ye.
i should be over again next year
all going to plan.
i sayed in peel 2 years ago and if you don't have transport
your fooked and not much happens there.
i'd say for first timers Douglas is your shot.
rgds

Gix11
04-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I still reckon that pub in Ramsey on Mad Sunday is a bloody top location for stupidity. What's it called again Dave?

Gsxar
04-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Yep, glad I posted :D making me even more determined to go.
Is it worth shipping the bike over there? Makes it a lot more expensive or better to hire something?

FIGHTERMC
05-11-2009, 01:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gsxar

Yep, glad I posted :D making me even more determined to go.
Is it worth shipping the bike over there? Makes it a lot more expensive or better to hire something?

a couple of years ago i was in my local in ireland
and was wearing my asf shirt and 4 aussies walked in
and spoted the t shirt we had a chat it so happened that
they new Si{where is this going you say}well they shipped there
bikes over and were touring{met them at the TT too} ireland and the uk.i think it cost alot of money to get the bikes send over but they were using them for over a months driving,what i'd say to you is buy a bike for a grand
cos it will cost you more to rent one.
if you were going to visit ireland i might know a friend
that could sort you out with a bike on a buy and then
buy back when you are finished if thats any help to you.
rgds
Mc

MDM
05-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Gix - that pub we met is the Swan, and the Mitre is opposie - the beer's better in the Mitre, but the craic (and the music) are better in the Swan... Both ideal viewing spots for Mad Sunday, but usually a bit cramped on race days.
There was a big push to make Peel more of an entertainment spot this year, best pub there is the Creek (imho), but always packed in TT week...