PDA

View Full Version : What oil to use in a CR1125 Buell

Roman
21-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Hi all, Well I bought the CR1125. Never had a bike with so much character and fun to ride. These are great.....Harley are telling me to run there oils which are a 20w-50. These are not a Harley and so feel that running there oil may not be good for anyone but Harley. I would rather use a 15-50 synthetic like Shell advance. I have tried to contact Rotax in Austria but no rely. Has anyone had experience with this. cheers Romano

bjrog2@hotmail.com
21-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Gday Roman,
In my opinion, i'd never listen to anything Harley said ever. I mean, they make shit bikes, so how much do they really know (except for how to suck $40k+ out of you for a polished turd)?

15-50w Shell Synthetic will be more than siutable for your application. Im running the same stuff in my ZX12r afterall. Theres buggerall between a 15 and a 20 anyway, so go with what youre comfortable with.

lurch
21-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Check your owners manual. I assume the bike is under warranty, if you don't use an oil that meets the specifications stated in there (API, viscosity, JASO etc) they can reject warranty claims on the motor should anything go wrong.

You'll get a better oil for your money if it doesn't say Harley on the bottle as well.

Roman
21-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi all, The owners manual is missing and so one has been ordered. I have spoke to someone who read the manual to me over the phone and all it stated was Harley oil. Yes the bike is under warrenty and so i must be carefull. Romano

Hillsy
21-10-2009, 01:24 PM
In light of the fact that Buell isn't with us anymore, I'd be parking the bike in the lounge and watching it become a collectors item.

EXBEN
21-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Roman, I've only ever damaged cams once in a bike motor. That was when I thought I'd give Shell oil a go. NEVER AGAIN! Every bike since gets Motul 5100 & I swear by it. N/A, Turbo, whatever...it's a great oil.

bjrog2@hotmail.com
22-10-2009, 07:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

Roman, I've only ever damaged cams once in a bike motor. That was when I thought I'd give Shell oil a go. NEVER AGAIN! Every bike since gets Motul 5100 & I swear by it. N/A, Turbo, whatever...it's a great oil.

How in the hell did you manage to stuff the cams? Surely theres more than oil at play in this story?

El_Hefty
22-10-2009, 01:11 PM
bgrog@whatevertherestsays...

Nope cams lobes can well and trully be damaged by shit oil, where the cam runs on the bucket its a knife edge contact point, unlike any bearing (conrods mains cam bearings etc etc etc in an engine,

This is where the 'shear point' oil can withstand comes into play due to the massive pressure vs contact area, some oils go to water in this instance

bjrog2@hotmail.com
22-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Wow, didnt realise that. If you reckon Motul is the goods, i'll use it next oil change then.

Thanks mate

Roman
23-10-2009, 08:32 AM
I have heard the the Motul is a good product. I have seen that some guys are using Motorex also. It comes at a premium though. Has anyone tried the Motorex product. I'm not too worried about the cost as i feel that oil is cheap compaired to a rebuild. These oils are now going to a 10W-50 in a synthetic. Thats no good about the cams. Yes this is a high load area and have seen this problem before. These Rotax motors are using a Hydraulic cam chain tensioner so I feel that a fast flowing oil at start up would be a good thing. Romano

Anakist
23-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I am using a local oil blenders' fully synthetic 20w50 . It seems a bit noisy so I am going to try Redline next. The local Redline distributor says it has worked magic in his BMW. I won't touch castrol, their "fully synthetic" oils are just cracked dinosaur juice, not PAO or esther based.

The general consensus seems to be run your preferred (at least semi synth) oil and change it regularly.

James

hotmilk
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM
has anyone used royal purple in their bike? back in the day when i was a young commodore bogan, street commodores mag did a test on different oils, and i forget exactly haw they did it, but all were tested exactly the same, some sort of round alloy bar spinning i think, rubbing against another piece of alloy i'm pretty sure, and in a bath of oil, and they took pics of what the scarring looked like after it and royal purple was by far the best. Some of the well known brands who are supposedly good, werent so good! but yes you pay a premium for royal purple. I'm spewing i threw the mag out or i woulda scanned it and posted it up. oh well

rod185651
10-11-2009, 07:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

I use motul 5100 on my ZX9R fighter and motul 7100 on my GSXR 600. I've been told that more important to the oil brand you use is the frequency you change your oil.

scotty
18-11-2009, 03:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by hotmilk

has anyone used royal purple in their bike?
Ive been told(by whom i consider one of the best spanner monkey's in Vic) that that stuff is fing good. prolongs engine life, give's more power and needs changing less.
I'll find a link....

hotmilk
20-11-2009, 05:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty

quote:Originally posted by hotmilk

has anyone used royal purple in their bike?
Ive been told(by whom i consider one of the best spanner monkey's in Vic) that that stuff is fing good. prolongs engine life, give's more power and needs changing less.
I'll find a link....

hmmm.... interesting... might just have to get some for the next bike!