PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler or water injection or both ?

Docktor
30-11-2006, 09:20 AM
The time has come for more mods to my tractor. I am looking at slappin the intercooler on it,but i think my limited room will make for a intercooler size that aint worth a pinch o goat shit... On the other hand I could water/methanol inject it. Or fuck it and do both. We are trying to make a pair of injectors from a gen3 fit at the moment for a bit more gas drinkin ability. I am told the water injection units do a damn fine job and if I am gunna hang more piping off the bike(ala intercooler) I want it to actually be useful coz I gotta try n keep intake temps down as she runs a litle hot.
Any ideas?

Doc

latheboy
30-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Intercoolers are a great thing but you gotta make sure that the cooler is right for the turbo and engine .. seen heaps of cars with massive coolers the rob boost .. not uncommon to lose 15PSI though the cooler .. dont use methanol , water only as you can refil the bottle anywhere and when you run out of methanol your stuffed (hurts engine, run bad ,etc etc etc ) water injection is a very good way to stop detonation ...

Docktor
30-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Its a stock cooler off a skyline, they are tiny, And we have to trim it a little to fit as well as make custom end tanks, in short a whole heap of fuckin around. whereas i can grab water injection and a drill and slap it on as my bike sits now.... easy. lookin at injection on the piping and again at the throttle body.Dont mind carrying methanol with me as it will be about a litre tops @50/50 mix.Think ya sposed to use nice filtered water too, but I spose i can buy a bottle of water for it at a servo....

Doc

Booster
30-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Doc they still flow ok to ~250hp, i put one on my busa in a less than efficant area and its knocking enough temp off that i can run boost levels that would ping before with out troubles, had water previously but ran out once without realising untill the tin of marbles noise , backed off real quick.
Here's where i put mine, similar to Racecomp , turbo connection do same for Vrods
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/79661942362621.jpg
I have seen intercoolers in many places , under the rear guard is another used occasionaly or 2 coolers either side of the front frame rails.