PDA

View Full Version : dyna 2000 wiring problem

suacycle
12-10-2009, 01:45 PM
The battery has 12+ volts and the wiring is spot on,i have just over 11 volts from the coils to the module.I piggy backed from the power side of coils as instructed,but im not getting enough voltage to the pick up's.The power light stays lit on the module all the time and is supposed to blink on and off when the ignition is turned on,it only does this when the orange wire is earthed for the automatic retard function but states you dont have to connect this wire,I've tested as per instruction's with no joy any help or idea's i've been over the instruction's for days.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255896834.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255888158.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255899316.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255900485.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255864721.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255870410.jpg

12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Talk to Freddy at SERCO, 07 3823 3833

zedsled
13-10-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm no expert mate, but ive got dyna 2000s on three of my bikes and have had similar situations. Your led goes out when system is earthed, and the fact that it works when you use the orange wire (which is a ground wire) is a good indication that the unit is working. Whats not happening is the signal from the pick ups which earth out when firing( makes led go out). Both times this has happenned to me it has been a dodgy 4-pin plug from ignition plate to unit. I replaced plugs and have never had problems again, but i would be looking at why its not getting a signal before i suspected the unit itself.
Hope this helps

alfiestorm
13-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Yep had the problem with the connector plug from the pickup plate. Also had three units stop working. problems with them were cutting out on two cylinders after one hours use leave for a few minutes and it would be ok for about 10 minutes so binned that one, water ingress killed another one when they are supposed to be watertight, cylinders two and three stopped working just like that.
Thought It was just bad luck with them but then a couple of my mates have had similar problems with them. Going to be putting the standard kit back on when the unit packs in next time and stuff the dyna gear it aint reliable for ever day use. Contacted dyna and suprise suprise no reply.

alf

suacycle
14-10-2009, 05:14 PM
The red light goes out after a while and blinks when you wind it over but wont start,It has spark so fuks me with a big stick and the unit is only 12 months old.

sharky
14-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Spoke to Scotty Lynch (Z900 tuning guru) (not about your prob but dyna 2000 in general) and he said to make sure you have a very good quality/power output battery...

suacycle
14-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah sharky,the battery has over 12v but maybe not so good under load,cheers bud.

suacycle
14-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey zed,the light stays on but flickers a little when ignition is switched on and today the light stayed on for a bit and after a while the i noticed the light went out,But the light should go out straight away,Im about to smash it all to pieces.

zedsled
14-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Allright, don't take offence to these questions, but i'll run through a few common causes. did you use good quality terminals, tin the wire, then solder fittings on, or did you use cheap crimp on ones, or worse, fucking scotch clips. The term was "good quality Battery" not have you got 12 volts? electrical components like a good steady power supply not erratic spikes. If there was no difference between a $45 battery and a $200 one, why do they make the expensive ones? Are the wires you piggy backed off in good condition? Did you run the earth straight to Battery or off the frame/motor somewhere, is it a good earth. As an example, on the old zeds the power wire goes from battery, through kill switch to coils, while bike is running though it can measure as little as 7 volts, looseing 5 volts through skinny wire and an old/worn/ dirty switch. The famous "coil mod" of the 70's was simply useing this wire to operate a relay and heavier wire straight to coils from battery. You would be amazed at the difference it makes. The point to this story is with just 12volts to play with it doesn't take to much mess with it. My dyna2000 has been on my bike for over 2 years now and does on average 500klm's a week, rain hail or shine. Last year I blew an oil cooler line and emptied a sump full of hot oil on to it. Cleaned it up and still going strong.
When it comes to wiring, patience is a virtue, but temper tantrums and smashing shit to pieces is far more common

suacycle
15-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah thats cool zed,just one time i would like something to work first time,so i will look into it further hey and thanks for the info.

suacycle
18-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Ok dont take offence to these answers,One thing i forgot to mention is im using standard coils but they read fine 2.5 ohm+.Another thing is the negative side of coils has power so all 4 wires have power back to the box and if you take the earth from the box off the battery the led light is still on,I have done power checks,power bridges,earths,volt checks on all area's,fitted a new bazza,Earthed negative side of coils to frame because i suspect all 4 wires shouldnt have power it didnt make a difference,I did rotor checks by winding by hand untill the magnet crossed a pick up,now this did work on a couple of accasions during this process and had spark to the plugs but bike wouldnt run,then after a few hours it would return to no signal to anything apart from power to the box.

sharky
18-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Taken from Dyna tech site.

quote:What type of spark plug wires should I use?
The Dyna 2000 Series ignition requires a good quality suppression core / resistor wire for optimum performance. Use of a copper core wire may result in poor or erratic performance, unless used with the stock resistor plug cap.
What coils should I use?
The stock coils usually will work fine. To optimize the spark output to its full potential, use Dynatek performance coils. Please call our Technical Support Department at 800 928-3962 or email us atInfo@dynaonline.com for the correct coil kit part number.
What spark plugs should I use?
In most cases, the stock spark plug and cap will work great. For heavily modified motors, consult with your engine builder for their recommendations, as incorrect spark plug may result in severe engine damage or loss of performance.
Why does my Dyna S spark continuously when I am charging the battery?
Battery chargers constantly switch between high and low voltage. The Dyna S see’s this as the ignition being switched on and off resulting in the constant spark described above.

suacycle
18-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah thanks sharky,i sent them an email no response,I think the pick-up plate and sensors are dodgey im all out of idea's,fuk it ill just put standard one back on.

suacycle
11-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Hey fella's,Well i've had the new dyna 2000 on my bike for 3 months now and i was coming back from morgan park raceway and my bike stopped,when i got it home i checked the spark and it was firing on 1 & 4 pots but not 2 & 3,so i changed coils and same thing looks to me the box has failed already i cant believe my luck with this dyna stuff.

livewire
11-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Check ya pick-ups. May not be the 'box'.
Also double check connector plugs/sockets.

livewire
13-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Is the green wire with the eyelet supposed to go under one of the bolts that hold pick-up plate on?

suacycle
14-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah mate thats just the oil pressure wire.