PDA

View Full Version : CBR won't spark

nelpd96
29-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Ok guys I know that I will be getting the "I would rather have my sister in a whore house than my brother on a honda" routine but it has got me stumped. The things is sparking but very weak so the bugger wont run. Now I have checked plugs, leads, coils and the ingintion pulse generation and they all seem to be up to factory spec. The only thing that I haven't been able to check it the output voltage from the Ignition Pulse Generator, a new one only $75 so I have one on back order. Have any of you got any idea's on what it might be other than a stuff $500 ignition control module. The bike is a 10/95 CBR 600 F3 so the same through to 1998. I have googled this shit out it this question and come up with nothing.

Cheers
Paul

P.S. The Daytona should be on the road in a week or so.

29-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda hve shit rectifyers[}:)]this may be the prob[?]wen ya turn on the ign.do the guages do dumb things[?]Yamaha have stronger reco`s[8D]if it is the reco take ya old one to wreka & match it up;)

Slingblade
29-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Yup good call. The blades rectifiers shit themselves regularly as well. Its a mid 90's honda thing.

Greeny
29-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah i would go with the Good old regulator/recifier.

Fair chance if it has gone your battery will be rooted as well. mine pissed acid all over my swingarm.

Hillsy
29-11-2006, 07:49 PM
hey nelpd96 - do a few simple tests before you start pulling your electrics apart - does it start and run with jumper leads? If so, then it's gonna be your battery / stator or rectifier. If she runs, put a multimeter across the battery terminals and give it a rev. If you don't get a voltage increase, it's not charging properly (=stator, rectifier, wires not connected). If you do get a voltage increase, shut it off and check the battery voltage at rest. If it goes down under 10 volts, your battery is toast.

Greeny
29-11-2006, 08:30 PM
http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/

If you go into the tutorials on page two there is a great article on how to diagnose the charging system on a honda.

I used it when i was having issues and it was a great help.

fimpBIKES
29-11-2006, 08:50 PM
well, only because everyone else said helpful stuff....

"I would rather have my sister in a whore house and let her do a steamy dump in my mouth while having a midget stoking the fire under my freshly lit-up testicals than my brother even know of someone who ever even thought of test-riding a honda"

nelpd96
30-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys allready checked all that stuff. The Regulator/rectifier isn't part of the spark curcuit as such, I will try the jumper lead option though as I hadn't tried that. The battery seems to be fine, obviously it has been getting down a bit from me cranking the fuck out of it trying to work out what is going on. I will give the jumper lead thing a go this arvo after work and see how I go. Serves me right for buying a Honda :)

Cheers
Paul

megareg
30-11-2006, 09:19 PM
If you are getting a spark, it would appear that the Ignition Pulse Generator would be ok, erm.. how do you know that the spark is weak??? I used to have a spark tester, you could check how far the gap was your spark would jump, another thing to ask is "how is your compression????"

Zed14
30-11-2006, 09:36 PM
higher octane fuel will get that baby burning. i will buy you 20 litres if i can watch

fimpBIKES
30-11-2006, 09:41 PM
HAHAHA, thats how we fix shit in newcastle!!!!!!!

ozkat
30-11-2006, 09:48 PM
fimp you have mail.

devo
30-11-2006, 10:18 PM
quote:higher octane fuel will get that baby burning. i will buy you 20 litres if i can watch
:D:D:D

fimpBIKES
30-11-2006, 10:44 PM
u have mail!

EXBEN
30-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Have you checked your earth from the battery to the frame & motor.
This is often the most overlooked part of the electrical system but one of the most critical, & can cause all sorts of problems like this. Also you say you've checked the plugs. I assume this means you've replaced them with new ones?

nelpd96
01-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Ben,
Yeah the plugs are only about 80kms old.

The reason behind suspecting the pulse generator was because it is what provided the initial voltage for amplification by the coil, I figured that the spark may have been weak because the it wasn't producing enough initial voltage.

I don't have some flash spark tester, I just used my mark 1 eyeball to size it up, basically the spark isn't big and blue, rather and orangy colour and quite faint.

I will have a bit more of a play over the weekend and see what happens.

Cheers
Paul

01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
swap your CBR for an NGK,problem solved.

nelpd96
04-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Ok it has got me fucked, I chucked the key in it on Saturday and the thing started, let it sit there for 30min running and it was fine. I checked the regulator and it is charging the battery. I will have to see if I can cancel my order for the Pulse generator. It has to be a loose wire somewhere or something but buggered if I can find it. I will take it for a bit of a ride and see how it goes. I hate it when shit like this happens because you never know when the bike is going to hold you up again.

Cheers
Paul

03gixxerpilot
04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
ah Gremlins don't you just love em.

06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I've got a spark for you mate

Compliments of Bic.

:D

nelpd96
07-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks Chalky :D it seems to be running fine still so maybe it was just a dodgey connection on one of the plugs and my constant plugging and unplugging while I was testing has cleaned up the terminal. I can only hope. I should just stay away from engines at the moment because my bloody car has decided to start doing funny things.

To top it all off it looks like the QIS for the Written Off Vehicle Inspection here is Townsville might be booked out until after Chrissy so no Trumphy runs till then.

Cheers
Paul