PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki clutch probs

Booster
29-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Anyone know much about the diaphram clutchs in some models (early 90's 1100s i think) and if there interchangable with coil spring parts??

Mates having troubles with his turbo 96 gsxr 750 slipping and adding an extra diaphram spring is a little tough to use on a worn clutch pack and doesn't fit on a new pack.i have seen lockup clutches for most coil spring type clutches and figure this would be the best way to go?

alfiestorm
29-11-2006, 07:56 AM
I may be wrong but i think APE do a lock up clutch for the diaphram type now or it may be MRE.

I had probs with my clutch slipping when my standard plates finally wore out even after I replaced them with barnet plates. It now has two barnet diaphram springs with one standard spring between them and no longer slips. My bike is not turbo'd but is tuned and puts out 168bhp at the back wheel.
I dont find the extra spring a problem a bit heavy at first but then after a short while you dont notice it

Booster
29-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks mate seen them but don't know if they would fit the 750, its 124mm across the steel plates , if the 750 is the same as the earlier 1100 clutches then the job is easy.

alfiestorm
29-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Forgot to mention the early bandit 600 clutch which is the normal spring type fits the gixxer 750

Booster
29-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks i'll check it out :D

Booster
29-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Following Alfie's suggestion to APE found some models that use the same plates , then went thru a Suz online fiche and found a rf900 or 00-05 gsxr 750 had the same plates with coil springs, Trip to the wreckers next :D

loosebruce
29-11-2006, 05:17 PM
I saw a how to on the conversion, at oldskool suzuki, but it was a while ago.

Rocket
29-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Booster, the set up in my bike has two extra diaphragm springs and also a small spacer ring.
So far the clutch works allright (for the whole 17 klms it's been on the road) but I won't really know till I get some miles on the engine and start to crank it up.
I don't have much information on it but I'll send you what I can dig up.
That spacer ring might be your answer.

Booster
29-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks Loosebruce if can't figure it out i'll do a search there.

Rocket be interesting to see what was supplied in your kit.
I put a small spacer in when i first built this bike and it worked well for me wheelies unlimited :) but now with slightly longer wheelbase and more boost and stickier tire the new owner is finding some limits, wheelie bars and dumping the clutch at 9500 was the final straw [xx(]

Tony Nitrous
29-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Had this conversation with Supercharger Mark last weekend....

Yeah, diaphram clutch's are not too clever.

Mine was OK on a stock B12,
borderline when used at the drags with an open can
and the usual Bandit/R tweeks,
and totally useless when I added a 60-shot of NOS.

It was "fixed" with 2 Heavy duty springs (which made the
lever heavy as Hell) and a couple of mods to the Gas to get
it to feed in with less of an impact.

There is a Mod which puts a GSXR coil clutch into a Bandit
motor or similar. Its not a straight bolt-in, just a few minor
parts to make or source. Sure it was in STREETFIGHTERS magazine
and would be suprised if its not on OSS or somewhere.

I think its popular mod with some of the drag Guys as its
needed to be able to run a "lock-up" clutch ?
...... but I could be wrong?

Gix11
29-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Booster - This seems like a great opportunity to do us a "HOW TO" for the how to section mate. If you get it sorted can you take a few shots as you do it and a few instructions like the other HOW TOs have been done? That way the info can be on ASF and always to hand.

ozkat
29-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Ive got the diafram clutch in my 1370, with kevlar plates, billet clutch basket and 2 heavy duty springs. So far so good. No slip.

Tony Nitrous
29-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Bandit had smaller plates than the same style "R",
and a weak alloy basket not the "R"s steel one.
(If my memory serves me well)

Coil springs clutch's are easyier to work on or to
build adjustment into as well as most folk claim a better "feel".

Booster
29-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Tony the B12 was the other Suz with the same plates, i was a little suprised by that figured they would be bigger

Gix , i will see what i can do , may have to give Mick my camera as he doesn't live all that near and does his own work , but doesn't have the internet to ask for himself, sure i can at least give a description and part numbers.

Oz heavier diaphram springs are an option but my preference would be to lockup and that (from what i have seen so far) needs coils for best adjustability.

I have plans for a DIY lockup from the gpz turbo750 forum if anyone wants a lockup clutch but nothing is produced for your model.

Booster
30-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Ok Mick the owner has been testing the diaphram springs in a valve spring tester and as you might expect 2 springs are twice as heavy as 1 and three well you know ... but put some shims between the springs and depending on thickness of the shim it like halves the effect of the next spring so a 2.5 spring can be had from 2 + shim + spring.
I will have the exact figures of spring pressure and shim effect on the weekend but it looks like the spring pressure can be set just where you want with diaphram springs and the correct shims.

Tony Nitrous
02-12-2006, 03:21 PM
It wont let me link to it,
But there is a good "How to / why to"
write up on this on OSS.

Tony Nitrous
02-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Go to.....

http://www.oldskoolsuzuki.info/

Click on SEVEN-ELEVEN on the left hand side,

then under "Lee's Articles" towards the left are to links...

GSX-R Clutch Coil-Spring Conversion
Bandit Clutch Coil-Spring Conversion

Zed14
02-12-2006, 04:58 PM
or you qlders could go see mick at rimfire springs in woodridge. he is very knowledgable about these things as he has been racing for quite a while and will know what you are talking about. he may be able to make you up a set exactly how you need them.

Gix11
04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Nice call Rexie. Cheers for that mate.