PDA

View Full Version : Anyone able to help get an Acewell hooked up?

sen
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
About to buy an Acewell 2853 off Ebay for my VTR1000.. then finally ditch the plastics.. also putting a V-Rod headlight on, but I can handle that bit.. mostly nervous about all the wiring for the Acewell, and making a little bracket for it.

Anyone in Syd able to help? Is it a big job? (Eg will I have to pay someone more electrically-inclined than me to do, or will someone do it for a case of beer? :P)..

holyman_999
09-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Do it man. soldering iron, solder, heat shrink, extra wire (maybe) and a few hours. Easy. I did mine recently, the 2853, and it took me about 2 hours... use the diagram that comes with it, and work out what wires you'll use, what colour they are on your bike, write them down on the diagram. Then slowly do one at a time. Measure twice, cut once.

Everything was relatively straight forward, with two exceptions...

1. I had trouble with the tacho sensor wire. Tried hooking it up to the coil, then wrapping it around the spark plug lead, no good... I ended up attaching it to the wire that originally hooked up to my old tacho, and what do ya know??? it worked, lol...

2. I ditched the bolt magnet thing (not having the tools or patience to drill and tap my disc) went to jaycar, and bought some 'rare earth magnets' (four for about 12 bucks) I used three of these on the disc, epoxied in place, and just divided the wheel circumference by three... reads really well, and doesn't jump around...

If you are even a little mechanically minded, I think it'll be a walk in the park.
I'd flat out to help, but can't commit due to my stupid ass shift work. but, when you get it, and are closer to doing it, PM me, I'll see what I can do... Where in Sydney are you? I'm out West (Blaxland)

Hope this helps...

Duane.

Jockney Rebel
09-10-2009, 04:34 PM
you caget the wiring diag from the siteyou buy the acewell from..im about to have to fit one myself ..or if your not confident ask extreme creations to do the job Bens done millions of em

holyman_999
09-10-2009, 04:48 PM
The wiring diagram should come with it... if not, you can get it here http://s3performance.com.au/download/Acewell2853wiring_diagram.pdf

sen
09-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Duane, Thanks for the tips mate.. I'm keen to give it a shot, it's just a big step from changing headlights and fairings and shit ;) Once it arrives, i'll pull everything apart and see how I go, then call for help if I get real stuck I guess.

Jockney, Yeah, worst case i'll see if Ben can help me.. just scared to go to him cos I know once the credit card is out with him in vicinity, it'll be hard for me to stop myself ;)

My biggest problem is just time.. I want it done before the fool's run, and use the bike during the week to get to work and to our work sites around syd.. so i'll have to try squeeze the Acewell and headlight into a single weekend (including figuring out how to mount the Vrod light, bracket for the Acewell, etC)..

Cruisecontrol
09-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Where abouts in Sydney are you?

I successfully fitted mine a while back and I am what would be considered electrically retarded.
Just make sure you have the wiring diagram for your bike.
I reckon the rear disc is the best place for the magnet (drilling and tapping it took about 20 seconds). You can then run the wire down the inside of the brake line making it virtually invisible. A bit of Araldite to glue the sensor onto the brake caliper hanger (it then automatically adjusts itself when you tighten/loosen your chain) and it is job done.

sen
09-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the link holyman, saved, just in case.

Cruisecontrol, Erskineville/St Peters.. cheers for the tips.

I'm buying the Acewell next Thurs (pay day), so maybe that weekend i'll give it a shot, see what happens.

Nudie
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Sen, if you need a wiring diagram for the VTR have a look on OZFIRESTORM because i'm pretty sure there is one available there (or a link or sumint, i'm a compooter retard so I dunno what the correct term is)
Someone on there also has a workshop manual for sale in the For Sale section (surprisingly) which has the wiring diagram innit.

Chase
09-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey Sen, I'm at Maroubra and reasonably handy with the soldering iron and stuff. I haven't fitted an Acewell, but have wired in a few other gauges, happy to help if you get stuck.

miniman1
09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Might be able to lend a hand depending on when you decide do it mate.....

sen
09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
You guys rock (and it's only partly cos of the bourbon in me, I swear)

as soon as the acewell arrives from egay I'll suss shit out and see how I go. Realised I'm gunna need to make brackets for both the gauges and vrod headlight too.. Ack. Hopefully get it all done before fools run. If in doubt, duct tape will do it!

holyman_999
09-10-2009, 09:58 PM
you've got one of these, don't you?!?!?!?!
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255116371.jpg

If not, and the duct tape won't hold it, don't forget the cable ties! man's best friend...

sen
09-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Haha.. yeah I got my starter kit.. and I got a leatherman, and heaps of duct tape, cable ties, and leccy tape ;)