PDA

View Full Version : Streetfighters the mag

MDM
28-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Greetings from the old country!
Good to see that Oz is getting it's fair share of streetfighters now, it's plain to see that the builders down under are pushing the boundaries (re The Judge)...
But how easy is it for you guys to get hold of the mag?
Do any of you subscribe?

ozkat
28-11-2006, 08:31 PM
I go down to my local paper shop to get it.

suxukifreak
28-11-2006, 08:33 PM
We get the mag but its 3 months late. [V] :D

BillyWhizz888
28-11-2006, 08:49 PM
My newsagent is one month out
I have tried countless times to subscribe but to no avail
and being an x-pat get a little pissed off, someone is importing them, thats why we get them, but nothing is up to date
mind you, before any of you eastern tarts say it
of course we Wait Awhile in WA :D

I am waiting 18 more sleeps, and wil be thinking of you all on 19
like buggery :D BWAAAhahahahahahaha

fimpBIKES
28-11-2006, 08:54 PM
holy shit!!!

also, hi :D

i normally hunt around newcastle trying to find a copy at the newsagent somewhere
its getting harder lately cos they keep getting snapped up before i find em

so i guess fighters are getting more common here

kevkatana
28-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I got my brother who's on a working holiday in London to get me a subscription. Love the mag and love the 5 free videos I got when I subscribed. Should have the next issue in a couple of days. Before that I got my local news agent to get it in for me. They sell out every month now.

WATEVR
28-11-2006, 09:10 PM
same shit in south aus usally get it just under a month late usally longer cos i have to find it

BOHEMION
28-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I gotta head to a newsagent super store (nextra) to find it.

Edit

Oh and Welcome mate!!![8D][8D]

Large
28-11-2006, 09:19 PM
not enough Suzukis in it...

;):D

Slingblade
28-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I get a local newsagent to order me one and i pick it up every month. Subscription would be better. Why the inclusion of so many fully faired bikes lately? Keep em nekkid.

AND WHY DIDNT JUDGE MAKE THE FUCKIN COVER!!!!!!!!?????????????

Oh and welcome by the way, its still the best mag around.

TurboKat
28-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Bloody Hell, we ARE blessed.... MDM himself [:0] we only need Will to sign up & we could actually have some worldwide credibility ;)
Welcome Dave, love your work. [:p]
Lots of expat Poms over here too (the culling program wasn't very successful :()

fimpBIKES
28-11-2006, 09:40 PM
hahaha, us with CREDIBILITY!!!!

your a funny cunt :D

MDM
29-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Credibility!:D
When we start getting some amongst the mainstream bike press I'll tell you and then we can start shouting about it! 'Til then, fuck 'em! :D

It's good to hear that you seem to be getting hold of the mag fairly easily - we're getting reports that lots of Yanks and even Brits are struggling to find the mag in newsagents! [:p]

I'll be showing my face here from time to time - looks like a lively place! Certainly better than some other so-called streetfighter forums I could mention, ahem...

MDM
29-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Oh yeah, just seen the tagline under my user name... 'new to streetfighters'! snigger...:D

Jockney Rebel
29-11-2006, 12:25 AM
HI MDM
I SEEM TO GET IT FAIRLY OFTEN AND ITS USUALLY ABOUT A MONTH OUT OF DATE HERE ON THE CENTRAL COAST BUT LIKE THE OTHERS ITS FINDING ONE THATS A PROBLEM.L MANAGED TO BUY THE FIRST COFFE TABLE BOOK YOU DID THO FOR 14 BUCKS
HOWS THE WEATHER BACK THERE IN BLIGHTY YOU SHOULD DO A THING ON WORKIN 'FIGHTERS THERES LOADSA COURIERS RIDE EM EVERY DAY AND ITS SHOWS THER PRACTICAL TOO
..i USED TO WORK AT MIKES BIKES[riverbank mcs] IN BOW E3... A GUY THERE OWNED A BROS WITH AN AFRICA TWIN LUMP IN IT, ANOTHER SQUEEZED A CBR 600 LUMP IN A CB1

chopaweeza
29-11-2006, 12:26 AM
The Mr Dave Manning eh? Can't get Streetfighters at all. Everytime I tried to get it ordered in I get let down when it never comes.

BOHEMION
29-11-2006, 12:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by MDM

Oh yeah, just seen the tagline under my user name... 'new to streetfighters'! snigger...:D

BWHAHAHA[8D]

Slingblade
29-11-2006, 01:07 AM
I have question for you MDM.

Do you think manufacturers look at the fighter movement as a trend? by that i mean are they now producing sportier nakeds(new fz1, z1000 etc) because they feel we will then simply buy their mass produced 'fighters' and stop fightering our own bikes? in other words do they think its a niche market they previously missed and now figure fighters will fade?(which we all know is bullshit)

Is this part of the reason fighters dont recieve the respect they deserve in the mainstream press?

Gix11
29-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Hey Dave, Glad you made it in eventually.

With Streetfighters mag, it's a bit weird actually, when I came over in '97 it was impossible to find the mag (and trust me I searched high and low), then suddenly in '98 it was everywhere and I could get it easily, .....too easily infact as it never sold. Eventually the newsagent I used to go to told me he had stopped getting it as it didn't sell. Skip on a few years and the trend reversed as the emergence of Streetfighter bikes eventually started. It's been a slow start but I think the culture has finally got a grip which I can vouch for with the statistics of this website over the last few years (and ASF doesn't advertise - it has been searched for). I think if you are looking to increase sales in Aus, now is a perfect time mate and if you can somehow shorten the delayed month-plus shelf arrival it would be even better.

Have a good look around the site mate, especially the YOUR RIDE section of the forum and you should find some good Aussie bikes.

By the way, if you keep posting you'll lose "New to Streetfighters" and become a "Pizza Delivery Boy" soon. Now there's something to look forward to!

MDM
29-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Woohoo! Pizza delivery boy! Do I get a bog seat (C90) to use too? :D
Working my way back through the posts...
We've noticed that we've been getting more letters & emails from Oz over the last 12 months or so, and there's also been a huge increase in the post we get from America and Canada, as well as a small increase from other parts of the globe - it seems that the rest of the world is not catching on to what the UK and Germany have been doing for the last 12 years or so...
It's kind of ironic really as now that the manufacturers are producing more 'factory fighters' the worldwide interest in streeftighters has increased! I personally think the only reason that there's factory fighters is the same reason that factory customs are built, along with supermotards and big trailies - if there's a demand then the factory will try to supply it. Lots of people want a 'streetfighter' style bike but don't want the hassle of building one (or haven't got the skills), it's just diversification.
Of course, there'll always be people who want to modify... ;)

MDM
29-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Also, the factories won't build anything too 'extreme'...
Not least becuase it'll be expensive to get a really radical bike through various emissions regs, Type Approval etc.
But they're never going to make a 500bhp drag bike for the road, or an ultra-minimalist supermoto, or a 150bhp wheelie machine with next to no seat, or do radical paintjobs, or fit a 330 section rear tyre with a 120 section front on a bike that's only 58" long etc etc...:D

MDM
29-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Frankenbiker - yeah, see quite a few modified bikes around the office! Actually got a couple of local commuters bikes lined up to be featured, 'cept for the fact that the owners keep changing stuff so tell us to wait! (one's a tidy GSX-R with billet wheels!)
The weather's crap now. Not too cold ('bout 8 degrees C) but grey and wet...:(

MDM
29-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Oh, and thanks for all the greeting!
I feel at home here already!:D

And yes, this is a concerted effort to get my count up and get that pizza-carrying chicken chaser!;)

Gix11
29-11-2006, 09:35 AM
"Not too cold ('bout 8 degrees C)"
Fuck mate, That's freezin'!
Only takes 10 posts to become a Chook chasing pizza boy mate, you're just about there!

qickdraw
29-11-2006, 10:49 AM

Woohoo! Pizza delivery boy! Do I get a bog seat (C90) to use too? :D
It's kind of ironic really as now that the manufacturers are producing more 'factory fighters' the worldwide interest in streeftighters has increased! I personally think the only reason that there's factory fighters is the same reason that factory customs are built, along with supermotards and big trailies - if there's a demand then the factory will try to supply it. Lots of people want a 'streetfighter' style bike but don't want the hassle of building one (or haven't got the skills), it's just diversification.
Of course, there'll always be people who want to modify... ;)

Greetings MDM & welcome aboard! - I agree totally with what you've said in the above quote - the major manufacturers & their 'factory fighter' thing is kind of like the 'reverse engineering' theory... see an end product & then work backwards to make the bike to fit the mould.[8]
If it wasn't for guys like you & us there would be none of it, so I think we can all quite confidently say we've had a pretty large influence on global manufacturing trends. Fuck, we're clever!:D
I still hate the term 'factory fighter' though - there's too many plonkers riding around on stock FZ-1's or flamin' GSR600's (!) going 'I ride a Streetfighter!' - 'FUCK OFF! NO YOU DON'T!!!:( What you ride is a good starting point!' Hahaha!:D

The increase in interest in 'fighters has really been exponential over the last 12-18 months out here (Si - you'd agree?). The advent of this forum and other publically visible mediums (RAPID mag, Extreme Creations, AuStreetfighter) has started to 'bring it to the masses' so to speak, and I don't see it letting up any time soon!

The only downside of being into 'fighters down here is there's really no winter to speak of (for most of the country anyway - I mean who'd really live in fucking Melbourne anyway?!?! TIC boys, calm down!!haha!), so the old 'winter project' never seems to happen - it's riding weather all year 'round![8D][8D]

So - when are ya comin' out for a look around? I'm sure someone might lend you a bike - fuck, I may even give you the 'Blade for a bit of fun...[}:)]

qickdraw
29-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Oh yeah - and 8 degrees is FARKING COLD! The only time I feel that kind of temp these days is walking into the cool room to pick up a new slab....

hooligan
29-11-2006, 10:50 AM
The first streetfighters mag i ever saw was issue 20 somethhing, v-max on the cover, chain conversion, nitrous (i think). Now look how much time & money i've wasted - all because of that mag. So MDM, bought a calendar yet?

slamdog
29-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi MDM
I'm from the land of the long white cloud if you have no idea where that is its [New Zealand][8]
I get your mag at the local news agent, they got it in for me and stock a few extra copes now, very cool mate.
Speaking of cool we've got icebergs floating past and Its not Evan that cold down here lol:D:D

PS If any of you boys from Oz wont a mag you could always come for a swim to my news agent Ha;).

Jockney Rebel
29-11-2006, 06:18 PM
ta dave
ill look forward to it ive been moddin bikes ever since 76 tryin to get me fizzy to do 0-60 eventually i remember the early 80s every Z1 or GS owner tried to get his [or her] bike to go round corners
i liked the strokers in the book any more floating around?
question ppl...can you put happy gas in a 2 stroke withtout it havin a heart attack?

MDM
01-12-2006, 04:02 AM
quote:
So - when are ya comin' out for a look around? I'm sure someone might lend you a bike - fuck, I may even give you the 'Blade for a bit of fun...[}:)]

Hmmm :D sounds like a decent excuse for that BIG flight down under...
Actually been thinking about heading to Oz for a coupla years - my good lady has a old friend who moved about 6 years ago (can't remember where though?)... just a case of getting the required amount of cash together though...
Oh, and 8 degress C isn't cold at all you bloody lightweights! It's only cold when you've got ice on the inside of your visor when you get to work... [:o)]
Anyways, got to head out to the shed to do some work on this winter's project bike...

MDM
01-12-2006, 04:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

i liked the strokers in the book any more floating around?

Yup, got three strokers lined up for issue 157 (that'll be the one that's out at the start of February '07 - so you lot'll get it round about mid-June!:D)

Gix11
01-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Hmmm :D sounds like a decent excuse for that BIG flight down under...
Actually been thinking about heading to Oz for a coupla years - my good lady has a old friend who moved about 6 years ago (can't remember where though?)... just a case of getting the required amount of cash together though...

It's a big fuckin' flight mate, but once you've done it and been here for a while you'll kick yourself why you didn't do it earlier mate. Oh, and Aus is a big place mate, your good lady's old friend could be anywhere? Remember, from Sydney to Perth is like flying from England to Africa.

Benz
01-12-2006, 12:26 PM
8 degrees, Hmm I think it got there once, when I was standing in a fukcin FREEZER.
Here in sweaty Darwin it's more likely to be 34 degrees, with 80% humidity on an average November day.
Sweat season.......

Jockney Rebel
01-12-2006, 03:35 PM
ahhh 8 deg.. up where im from in sunny SCOTLAND thats our summer
you can always tell when its summer north of the border the rain gets warmer
but i have to say i dont miss it much easier to get out of me pit when the suns shining

Scrapyard
19-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey MDM,
Greatings from the dirty south. No, not a stripers panties :D. Been picking up the mag here state side for about 5 years now. Almost all the big chain book sellers carry it. Although, like the Aussies we're a month old by the time it hits the rack. Must get held in customs or some shit. Who knows. Still a top mag and the only thing I care to read anymore. The whole streched out, ballon tired, chrome diped froo froo bikes they call sportbikes latley is getting retarded over here.