PDA

View Full Version : Fairing and full tank issue

liquidcoats
06-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi all. I got a 1998 ZX6R its got a little dent on the fuel tank on the top. When I was trying to take the fairings off on the left hand lower side I found that one of the screws is completely rounded. I do not know how to get this bolt out!!. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Docktor
06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
i am sorry about the dent in the tank .............. but back to the screw, use vise grips on it or carefully hacksaw a slot in the top of the rounded screw and use a blade screwdriver to get it out ? . maybe . hi .

Mishdog20
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Angle Grinder!!! Nothing smaller than a 5 inch, preferably a 9 inch. Nah just joking, you could try those screw removal tools. We use them at work to wind out stripped out screws and bolts. Dunno what they are called, just ask for screw removal doovers at a decent hardware store. Good luck.

Jockney Rebel
06-10-2009, 11:43 PM
^^^^ there called ezyouts ..
a hardened steel tool with a left hand helix on it . douse the bolt in WD40,plus gas or any other good anti seaze product ,have a ciggy and a cuppa then .wind it into the rounded phillips /posidrive [after selecting the size closest to the size of the hole lol] and wind it carefully..
[if you break it you wont be able to drill it out with out special drill bits as normal high speed steel bits arent hard enough]
...as it bites it will turn the screw the opposite way thus unscrewing it ,they are however designed to be used on studs/bolts that have been drilled out previously so it may bottom out before gripping sufficiantly inthat case carefully drill out the centre of the screw and try agian

BANDITROD
07-10-2009, 05:58 AM
if its on the fairing just cut it off with the nine inch grinder like mishdog said after all you wanna streetfighter like all of us cool kids dont ya .....go on doit

kevkatana
07-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Grinders are for pussies. Use a block splitter. Heaps quicker.

Jockney Rebel
07-10-2009, 11:17 PM
..bolt croppers ..big ones

liquidcoats
10-10-2009, 04:05 PM
cheers fellaz I'll have a crack with the eazeouts when I get a chance to go and buy them and with the dent. Is there anything I can do?

Shadowzone
10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by liquidcoats

cheers fellaz I'll have a crack with the eazeouts when I get a chance to go and buy them and with the dent. Is there anything I can do?

Yep pull the tank off and stomp it down just like the one in the pic so you can sit on it while doing wheel stands.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1255257275.jpg

Oh and paint that bad boy stylish matt black. Then the dent won't stand out quite so much. Even after you stomp it...

SKS
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
also if you can get some LH drill bits when you get the easy out's. use the LH drill bits to drill your pilot hole for the easy out and this might loosen it to start with.

liquidcoats
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
where can I get the LH drill bit and ezy outs?