PDA

View Full Version : Gunson Colortune...

gsxrdan1
06-10-2009, 02:41 AM
So the gix ('96 750) is a little lumpy after the last carby clean/rebuild, (har, you'll all larf at this, I accidently turned a pilot screw or two, not knowing what they were and not realising there were meant to be plugs over them - yep, I'm a sharp one sometimes...[xx(]) And I have a colortune device that I bought off a geezer who used it to tune his old twin carb car...
Anyone actually used one!? And can I also balance my carbs with it? As I read it I can make each cylinder 'bang' nicely, but are they all gonna be 'bangin' the same amount?????? I'm crudy slack for never even experimenting with it, but maybe someone else already has...[?]

Hillsy
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I've got one - they're quite finicky to use (especially in a GSXR head where the plugs are hidden) and will only tell you what the mixture is doing at idle. You can't use it to synch / balance the carbs - you need vaccum gauges for that (or one of these: http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp )

As far as your pilot screws go, start at 2 1/2 turns out for each, then you can use the colortune to fine tune from there.....or just experiment at 1/4 turn intervals checking plug colour.

06-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Stick it on egay.

The Colourtune was a great marketing exercise.