PDA

View Full Version : Underslung Exhaust

Slingblade
27-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Need a bit of advice on doing an underslung exhaust.
Like most of us i am doing it on a budget, so i am wondering if i can rework the stock headers or will i need to buy aftermarket jobbies and cut them down?

There is a good exhaust place that does custom bending but i wanted to get some advice first as i figure plenty of you blokes have done exhausts before.

I will need an oval slip-on i can cut down(i want fimps v&h, but the hotpant wearer wont come to the party!)as i onlt have a bolt on round can.

Any help mucho appreciated.

Large
27-11-2006, 10:06 PM
you can make your own oval cans...super flat ovals too...if you visit a boat builder that makes sail boats. hint hint.

Slingblade
27-11-2006, 10:11 PM
boat masts? never even occured to me! end caps would be the challenge.

MDM
29-11-2006, 12:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Large

you can make your own oval cans...super flat ovals too...if you visit a boat builder that makes sail boats. hint hint.

What an utterly superb idea!
It's fairly easy for us in Blighty to get hold of indivudual parts (ie end caps, baffle tubing, pipe reducers) but this would no doubt be a much cheaper option for oval tubing... however, would it be the same size as conventional oval can pipe, and would produced caps fit?[?]

Large
29-11-2006, 06:40 AM
A mate did it years ago. had lots of trouble with the end cap, but ended up fitiing the end cap inside the can. Looked pretty good in a one off racer way.

Alternately, what about a stainless car muffler? Cut the top off and move the insides around to suit. You can get them with multiple inlets/outlets too.