PDA

View Full Version : 750 Katana Popup

turtle
01-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I am restoring a 7/85 750 popup katana and I am short a few components, is there anyone out there got one they have dropped and want to sell?,if not, do they know where i can find the desired components, ie ignition module, headlight module,coils,gauges,wiring loom,grab bars,engine(TSCC),decals.If you can help me out my email is s_ward65@aapt.net.au

chopaweeza
02-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I know he still has NOS Katana bits laying about so try BW Northcott Motorcycles in Blacktown

80s freak
02-10-2009, 08:25 AM
City Auto Electrical Services in coburg used to do a headlight module for them back in the day, ph 0393506677. Tscc badges are still available new.

turtle
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey thanks wayne, gsx1100 et....To day is friday i'll give them a call come monday if i get home at a reasonable hour.....forgive me for bein a dumb ass .....,What is NOS Katana?.....

Just to give an idea of the restoration.....i bought it as a non goer in 1997-98, to keep my self busy after a messy split with the wife, i pulled it down and powder coated the frame and bits, blasted and painted the ancillery components( brake callipers,resivours,anti dive module,handle bar weights,etc... to match the original components,I got all the plastic repaired and painted,scored the tank decals from some where but couldnt get the others and put it 75% back together and have lugged it around with me for the last 10 odd years,

I pulled it out of storage a couple of months ago to have another crack at finishing the job, i found all my hard work painting the bits and peices wasted as the brake fluid has leaked and stuffed the paint work...so i have just got them re-blasted and will paint them sometime soon.....as soon as i can get some more paint matched up again....

which brings another question...how do you prepare a m/cycle for storage in regards to this sort of thing???........

I have pulled down the engine as far as the head and cylinders, I sent the head to a local cylinder head mob and they told me i needed new valves for #2 cylinder, I ordered 2x intake and 2x exhaust valves as well as seals, pistons and pads for the brake and cluch systems from the local suzuki dealer ship,there not cheap i tell ya!all the parts i have ordered have arrive except the intake valves... they have to come from japan, who knows when they will get here........I gave the cylinder head mob a call to say it'll be a bit of a wait and to put the bits in a box and out of harms way for a while....

i have measured the pistons and cylinder and they are right on the borderline of the tolerences speced in the manual,i have contacted a machine shop in rocky and the bloke there said that weisco may make a big bore kit which include Pistons, rings, wrist pin,circlips,(approx 73mm bore the standard bore is aprox 68mm)with an apparent comp ratio of 13:1 the standard engine has a comp ratio of 9.6:1 i think, but they dont have the 0.5mm and 1.0mm oversize kits,if i want that i will have to go genuine ,this raises another question ...if i went with the bige bore kit would i then have to stuff around with tunning of the carbs to suit the increased capacity?? would the increase in comp ratio cause undue stresses on the engine???and on and on and on????

Any way thats about where i'm at, I got a rolling frame,all the plastics in a tin box up the back shed,brake components blasted and ready for painting, an engine with the top end striped down sitting on the bench waiting ,a Cylinder head waiting for some bits to arrive and for me to find the money and some direction...which brings another question whats the longest retoration of a motor cycle......mine is 10 years and counting..........

If any body can give me some answers to my questions it would be much apreciated......i'll try and post an update as i get things together........Cheers

80s freak
02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
As for the big bore option, are you planning on a proper resto ie stock pipes? If so it will go backwards with the oversize. If you want run a 4 into 1 then go for it, you can run the stock airbox just remove the snorkle and rejet to suit, did this on mine years ago and made a huge difference while keeping the stockish look, then gutted a set of stock pipes. To maintain the orginal lookSorry but I cant remember the jet sizes I went to. Ended up putting in an 1100efe motor most people couldn't pick the difference. The only way you will get 0.5 etc rebore is to go genuine, which is more expensive than Wiseco but the rebore on the Wiseco will cost a fair bit more. Just as a side note, mine did a best of 12.34@128mph quarter on stock gearing with a stock motor, not bad for an '85 model bike (still got the trophy to prove it).
I will try to dig up some more info for you.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254576092.jpg

gixkat
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
NOS stands for "New Old Stock"

turtle
31-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Just a quick update on my progress with my 750 popup......Ive got my cylinder head back from the shop....i have decided to go with standard rings and a quick hone..........i have ordered some copper washes for the head bolts and still waiting for those......i have given the clutch and brake mastercylinders a hone aswell....they seem to be sevicable but only time will tell.....as soon as i get the washes i will be able to put it together and hopefully slide it back into the frame.......i may have to find myself a pair of coils and an ignition module.....does anyone know where i can get them tested and or repaired in qld.............or does anyone know of another popup for sale??????........any way better get back to it........i will try to put in a progress report....soon.........

megareg
01-04-2010, 08:41 AM
You're doing well there.... also try this site....

http://www.suzuki-katana.net/index.php

JackTar
01-04-2010, 10:46 AM
You may also find this section handy:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26

VFighteR
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
aren't you meant to be at the AFR Mr Tar or are you leaving tomorrow?

JackTar
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by VFighteR

leaving tomorrow