PDA

View Full Version : Rejetting ZX6R

Disturbed_Dave
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Okay, so i've done the airbox mod on my '00 ZX6R, so the carbie floats and airbox are equalized...

Now the bike is at the mechanics, and he is having a bit of difficulty jetting it to suit the K&N Air filter and Akrapovic exhaust that the bike has on, it's still getting a flat spot at higher speeds.

Anyone got an idea as to what sort of jets we should be looking at fitting?

davio
02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
kev katana sent me a link for my bandit carbs ,i dunno where he got it ,but it had a shit load of models and makes on it and i think it was tailored to k&n ,any hoo ask the big kev

miniman1
02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Disturbed_Dave

Anyone got an idea as to what sort of jets we should be looking at fitting?

Try finding a mechanic that knows what he's doing... Anyone GOOD could figure that out themselves.....

TurboKat
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
The only way to get it jetted right is on a Dyno, don't bother with suggestions for jetting because they will only put you in the ballpark (if you're lucky).
Set the carbs up on a Dyno & it will be the best $$ you've spent, you'll be rewarded with easy starting, crisp throttle response, optimum power/torque & fuel economy & longer engine life - I know coz Latheboy told me ;)

80s freak
02-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I blame Jacktar for your tuning probs. Is it a proper ram air model? If so then even dyno tunig is a bit of a gamble.

Disturbed_Dave
04-10-2009, 01:22 AM
It's a proper ram air model (I would suppose). Was having issues before I did the airbox mod...

As for the dyno, thats what he has been using to note the power drop, just having a bit of a hard time finding the right jets. Everytime he puts in a new set and dyno's it, it still comes up with a flat spot.

Something I didnt mention, just in case it wasn't guessed, is that I dont have the front fairing anymore, which is where the trouble has started... Too much air, so its leaning out at higher speeds. Basically hitting a brick wall at about 100km/h.

80s freak
04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
The problem with dyno tuning a ram air bike is the air pressure changes in the intake tubes at speed. I have heard of "fluffy" air flow when not running the fairing, something to do with where the tubes end without the fairing to create a high pressure area. All I can suggest is try as many forums as you can. sorry I can't help any more than that.

Loz
05-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Sorry mate once I did the airbox pressure equaliser hose thing between the float bowls and the clean side of the airbox, my 9R ran fine. Throttle response is a touch fluffy but it pulls fine all the way up.

+1 get it dyno tuned by somebody who knows shit.

Disturbed_Dave
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Okay news flash, he's fitting a Factory Jet kit, should be ready next week... Should be all good by then!! Will keep this updated

Disturbed_Dave
03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Okay, so the latest on this never ending saga:
I've received the bike back, as it was going nowhere, and paid stuff all for his labor.

Now it's running a bit better than it was (used to max out at 100km/h, around 6-8thou revs, depending on wind conditions, and become very rough and jerky).

Now, it becomes jerky around 8thou on a part throttle (cruising), but if i open up the throttle, it comes good.

So its definitely better. Whats making me hesitant now to change the jetting, is that i'm looking for a Z1000 front fairing, and hopefully re-fit the intake scoop underneath it, therefore changing the whole air intake again, making any re-jets pointless.

Does this still sound like a jetting issue? Or could it also be a turbulent air issue?

Hillsy
03-11-2009, 10:57 PM
It's a fuelling issue that is probably being caused by turbulence / inconsistent airbox pressure v's float bowl pressure.

Have you got any sort of scoops on the bike or just the holes on the frame? Have a look at mine:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/hillsythegreat/IMG_2366.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/hillsythegreat/IMG_1226.jpg

I basically cut up the original intakes from inside the fairing and bolted them in. The surface area of the opening is about the same as the original scoop on the front of the old fairing (not sure if this was essential, but I thought it couldn't hurt). The balance pipe is at the bottom of the front of the airbox (pretty much as close as possible to where the 2 scoops enter the box).

It may not look too trick, but it works at all speeds / RPM's. And if you still have the old fairing bits it won't cost you any $$$ to give it a try.

bjrog2@hotmail.com
04-11-2009, 06:23 AM
I verymuch like that headlight unit. May i ask where you got it from? The "streetfighter headlight" i just ordered off eGay looks like a pile of shit compared to that. Its very Gixxer-y, and would suit my ninja nicely i believe.

Oh and do the "air-ram" thingies you're using actually make that much difference? Ive just used the rubber-surrounds to go over the holes in the airbox / frame and covered them with mesh. Never thought to use the tube pieces as well... hmmm

Ben

Disturbed_Dave
04-11-2009, 09:23 AM
These are the original intake pipes, i've always run the bike with them.

I've also done the airbox mod, where the equalization pipe is in the top part of the airbox. I'm thinking that this may be causing part of my problem. Hopefully I can get my hands on this Z1000 front, run the old intake scoop, and fix my problems.

Hillsy
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by bjrog2@hotmail.com

I verymuch like that headlight unit. May i ask where you got it from? The "streetfighter headlight" i just ordered off eGay looks like a pile of shit compared to that. Its very Gixxer-y, and would suit my ninja nicely i believe.

Oh and do the "air-ram" thingies you're using actually make that much difference? Ive just used the rubber-surrounds to go over the holes in the airbox / frame and covered them with mesh. Never thought to use the tube pieces as well... hmmm

Ben

The headlight is off a Bug Agility scooter. It's a bit modified though (different bottom mounts, home made screen).

I initially ran the bike without any ram tubes (just the holes in the frame) and I noticed it would behave strangely at times (cross winds, etc), so I put the tubes on. It's effectively closer to the stock set-up this way and it fuels fine at all revs (and goes harder the faster you go ;))

Disturbed_Dave
04-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Woops, I meant to add this photo to the post.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1257310094.jpg

Disturbed_Dave
04-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I might try the equalization hose in different positions, just as a temporary fix until i get the new front.

BANDITROD
04-11-2009, 05:00 PM
i put my equalization hose straight through the air filter to the top of the air box and it fixed all my probs mate ....olny prob is you have to cut a hole in your filter

Disturbed_Dave
05-11-2009, 04:31 PM
BANDITROD: I've done the same thing, but have had the hose slightly through the filter, so its almost flush with the top of the filter.

This has not fixed the problem however, leading me to think, I may need to have it in a different position?