PDA

View Full Version : Barring up ....

336LJ
28-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Ok chaps I'v taken what I think is the scabby approach to getting some wicked sick bars and FINALLY fucking off whats left of the plastics off this damn barge of mine.I'v been loathing all that rattly shit over hanging off the front of my bike for ever.

Im waiting on a 2nd set of stock triples that I was gonna play with. cause for some shit reason I can't find anything in the ways of top yoke/flat/fat bar conversion kits for my B model zx9. (the ones like on AUSFR with the extra cables/hoses, etc)I like the looks of em but they are also shiny, therefore expensive. [EDIT]: I just found the billet top yoke-riser listed for my bike on AUSFR!? damn - well anyway I can't afford $400 top yoke just yet, and am still unclear on the need for extra length on the cables)

I also cant find the thread about old mate fighterizing his same year model zx9 so I can have another perv at it. (Rod[numbers] - with I think the ignition moved to the side of the bike) trying to remember what to do about the ram air stuff, and wiring.

but anyway - I was thinking something along the lines of the angle of bars on say a later model Z1000.
anyone know if they have the same O.D to fit my switches n shit on? I'm also a bit concerned about the shittyness of the cast top yoke, what should I do make a plate on either side for the risers (when I get em) to bolt onto?

Kind of looking for brands, heights etc. got me fucked really as long as its not a piece of shit in the end, and I can almost look as cool as someone riding an actual Z1000 - without having to buy one.

any recomendations would be great, I'm in south bris, and for some reason the wreckers can't be fucked helping me with swapping n changing bits n pieces to see if they fit. I'd like to know how big of a job I'm undertaking.

Been talkin about it for friggin years and the bike is being wheeled into the shed soon while I get some other things sorted out so I figured I may as well make a start on it.

.. and no its not cause my conpuder got haxx0rd 2 teh max and I now have to face REAL LIFE

[8D]

Shadowzone
28-09-2009, 04:19 AM
You need longer cables and hoses etc when you raise the bars and/or chuck on moto-x bars cause they are further from the workings of the bike they run.

holyman_999
28-09-2009, 05:28 AM
My tight arse approach...

On the underside of the triple, I filled it in with knead-it (the metal epoxy stuff that can be drilled, tapped, sanded, etc.) then drilled 4 holes to fit risers (this needs to be done CAREFULLY!) check, double check, triple check... drink a beer, check again... the only length changes for me was brake line. the rest of the cables were fine... depends how high/wide your new bars are... also, how much play is in the original set-up...

others with your bike may know for sure... but i'm pretty confident that most controls fit on mx bars... the fatbars are tapered at the end to remain original size... so your controls should fit mx or fatbars.

just reminded me... you also have to either drill holes for the little lugs on your switch gear... or if you're dodgy like me, just grind said lugs off...

Good Luck... if you run into trouble, don't forget there are a shitload of people on this site that know everything... and some that know a bit less... :)

336LJ
28-09-2009, 02:41 PM
cool thanks for the tips, how well does the epoxy hold up? I was thinking a nice pretty plate top and bottom (fake billet FTW!)
I'v also seen the risers that have one M10 bolt holding everything down!?!-

ooh - just this second the triples rocked up in the mail! wen i get a spare chance I'll go straight down to the shops n sus out the risers n bars.
Some of those MX bars look like they belong on a hang glider or something!.

I have this mental image of hitting one of the shitty parts of this abortion of a road and having only the bars n risers in my hands as I go sailing off into a bus shelter.

336LJ
28-09-2009, 02:56 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254188702.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254210118.jpg

holyman_999
28-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I haven't had a drama... yet... lol...

just make sure you use locktite...

oh, and make sure the risers are high enough to clear the top of the forks... like so.........
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254161098.jpg

I know, i should be a graphic designer... [:o)]

JackTar
28-09-2009, 03:36 PM
This thread is not what I thought it was I'm leaving.

rod185651
28-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Is this what you're after mate?
I bought the bars and raisers of Ben at Extreme Creations, he also fitted them and relocated the ignition for me. With the ram air induction I changed the needles in the carbies, eventually I'm going to get a stage 3 Dynojet Kit for it unless someone tells me a better solution.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254216224.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254200278.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254165063.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254163962.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254221089.jpg

336LJ
28-09-2009, 10:07 PM
just jumped on at work.. thats exactly the kinda thing im talkin bout. ha you think ur drawing is dodgy, thats alot neater than anything iv ever actually used a grinder on!! Ill hav to get home n hav a proper look. At the pics my fone is made of all kinds of fail

336LJ
29-09-2009, 12:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

Is this what you're after mate?

yesssss indeedy - thats pretty much the exact setup I'v been wanting,
What were the bars n risers worth? (checkin the old thread now, I couldnt remember the numbers after ur user name!)

Can't wait to get this done!

rod185651
31-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey Luke, how'd you go? Have you got the bars and clutch cover fitted yet? Hanging to see some pics mate.

JackTar
31-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Find your shed yet? It is probably outside, away from the computer you may need a map. Get someone to make a map of it in doom first so you can play through it before you attempt the real thing. It's dangerous out there man keep safe.

rod185651
31-01-2010, 09:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Find your shed yet? It is probably outside, away from the computer you may need a map. Get someone to make a map of it in doom first so you can play through it before you attempt the real thing. It's dangerous out there man keep safe.

JackTar, You're usually a really funny guy for a pussa.... but dude you're starting to make me yawn with your attempts at humour. ;)

holyman_999
31-01-2010, 09:39 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1265003004.jpg

[:I]

JackTar
01-02-2010, 12:19 AM

JackTar, You're usually a really funny guy for a pussa.... but dude you're starting to make me yawn with your attempts at humour. ;)

Well now that you have put a wink emoticon on it I haven't a fucking clue where you are going with this Rod185651 (If that is your real name)

Pretty confident I'm not here to make YOU laugh mate but still sorry if my material isn't up to your high standards perhaps you could give me some lessons eh.

If I make you yawn mate don't read the post [:X]

rod185651
01-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Well now that you have put a wink emoticon on it I haven't a fucking clue where you are going with this Rod185651 (If that is your real name)

Pretty confident I'm not here to make YOU laugh mate but still sorry if my material isn't up to your high standards perhaps you could give me some lessons eh.

Yeah mate, Rod is my real name, 185651 is my old regee number, I use rod185651 cause its easy for me to remember, plenty of guys on here have met me and can vouch that I don't hide behind false names.
No need to be sorry about your material, I'm sure you're just going through a drought and soon enough you will get your Witty writing skills back. You just need to percevere tiger.

JackTar
01-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Yeah mate, Rod is my real name, 185651 is my old regee number, I use rod185651 cause its easy for me to remember, plenty of guys on here have met me and can vouch that I don't hide behind false names.
No need to be sorry about your material, I'm sure you're just going through a drought and soon enough you will get your Witty writing skills back. You just need to percevere tiger.

Thanks for the encouragement I'll see how I go, maybe I need more sleep.

Which core? How long ago did ya get out and how long were you in?

rod185651
01-02-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the encouragement I'll see how I go, maybe I need more sleep.

Which core? How long ago did ya get out and how long were you in?

Joined in 1990, My first beloved Corp was Infantry until 2000. Was posted to 2/4 RAR and then 2 RAR when 2/4 was split up. In 2000 I corp transferred to Engineers and got out in Feb 2006. All up I was in for a little over 15 years.

JackTar
01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I joined in 90 as well and I work with a few grunts but they haven't been in as long as me Dale 'chook' Ingram, Loyd Brandon and some others know either of them by any chance?

rod185651
01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Nah mate, don't think so, but I'm shocking with names eh.