PDA

View Full Version : shock advice needed

pommie02
24-09-2009, 07:42 AM
after another brain storm, i thought that a R1 rear shock would fit into my FZR1000....wrong
anyway its now in, a new linkage has been made and new link rods.
the problem is when i stand the bike up off the the side stand the rear of the bike sags...about 50mm. i have wound the pre load up to the max setting. this improved it, but its still crap...
am i missing something, i know that my bike is about 30kg heavier than the r1.
would a heavier spring fix it..if so how do i work out what i need ?

Booster
24-09-2009, 08:53 AM
linkage ratio's need modifying ??

davio
24-09-2009, 06:03 PM
most modern linkages have an eccentric cam where the shock mounts to the linkage ,u could try putting that in its highest position, but 50 mm just from the bike weight seems a lot , did u ask the misses to get off?

stu
24-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Spring rate would have have an effect on static sag but you would also have to look at the linkages to check if the leverage ratio has changed causing greater rear wheel travel for a given measure of shock stroke compression. Relative stroke lengths of the original shock vs R1 shock will play into this equation also. How complex the equation is depends on the differences in eye to eye and stroke lengths between the 2 shocks but once these values are known someone good with these calculations should be able to sort it out quite quickly. My suspension experience is from a different background but the same principles should apply. Luckily I always had some smart prick to do these calculations for me.