PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about hot water systems?

STM77
23-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, certainly not bike related but i have to ask cause i'm sure someone on here can give me the truth, about these new hot water systems they are trying to push. The heat pump style. They look like a normal HWS with an Air con unit mounted on the side or the top. Are they shit? noisy or quiet? is there any real advantage over the old school style. Any suggestions or info would be heaps appreciated. Thanks stu

BANDITROD
23-09-2009, 10:12 PM
mate that would have to be the most random question to ever be asked on this forum .....oh sorry i got nothin for ya either

Jockney Rebel
23-09-2009, 10:20 PM
try this http://www.aussiestreetfightered/awesomewatersystems/jacktarsbuild

lurch
23-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Biggest advantage is that they are supposed to be more energy efficient. Disadvantage is the higher purchase price means they take a few years to pay for themselves.

Work like an all air a/c system but in reverse. For a/c - inside air passes over evaporator, refrigerant absorbs the heat, absorbed heat is transferred to outside air by the condensor. For heat pump - refrigerant absorbs heat from outside air through evaporator, passes through compressor & comes out high pressure & temp, passes through condensor inside the tank and heats the water.

I've never had or installed one but my plumber mate reckons they are shit.

23-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Reading from last week's TAFE notes...

Initial cost is considerably higher than for off-peak storage systems.

Manufacturers of the Quantum system state that it takes from 5 to 8 years to recover the extra initial cost compared with off-peak system.

Running costs: Less than one third of the energy costs for off-peak storage. And approximately 60 per cent of the costs of operating a conventional solar HWS.

Personally, I'm looking at installing a solar HWS.

DaveK5
24-09-2009, 07:09 AM
This is in my field...what playswithnitro and lurch say is correct.

Expensive..Yes

Efficient..Well not really..Is any refrigeration system efficient? Nup.

Maintenance...Anodes need to be replaced every 2 years...Normal hws don't ave em.

Go Solar..I prefer units with the tank separate...and get evac tube if your in a place that gets a winter.

In NQ people are now installing Solar only system that cost zip to run...seems they are pretty good.

Cairns base Hospital gets 52deg water off the roof and heats it(gas) 10 deg before sending it into the system...Very good for a big system.

Fight_fan
24-09-2009, 07:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by DaveK5

Maintenance...Anodes need to be replaced every 2 years...Normal hws don't ave em.

What??? Im afraid they do mate! I manage a plumbing supplies store, its my job to kno these things! & if ur replacing them every 2 years there is something wrong with ur water!
We'v so far sold & installed around 140odd heatpump units. Had a few minor problems with a couple of them, mainly due to them coming pre-gassed n some leaking out during installation. Efficiency wise they do run cheaper than std. electric heaters, sometimes (depending on location) they can be cheaper to run than solar.
If ur thinkin about going with a heatpump steer clear of quantum & rheem. From our experience they are noisier than the brands! A german company called Stiebel Eltron do one than IMO is the best on the market... Get in soon tho as rebates are set to drop again shortly!
If u want to go solar, go with an evac-tube system 4 sure! Far superior to the normal collector panels & easy to fix if damaged in hail or somethin.
Hope this helps u mate! ;)

ozzy1100
24-09-2009, 11:21 AM
by the way boys and girls standard storage hot water systems you only be able 2 buy new for a few yrs
i think they will be stoped in 2011
as for heat pumps i havent put any in yet but they seam exxy for the saveings sola is the way 2 go i think
in saying that off peak costs fuck all 2 run really i think last 1/4 mine was $45 but will only get dearer
we put a sola hart on my olds roof (father son plumbers lol) over 20 yrs ago and its still going stong and the boster is only on a few times a yr
costs fuck all but more up front

ozzy1100
24-09-2009, 11:26 AM
buy the way if its just a replacment of old unit i would prob just put in a standard unit
315 liter is about 1200 2 1400 $ but a lot less them changeing 2 much ull gett over 10yrs (well anything over 8 is doing well)
but new install id go with sola
space and what needs be be changed allways is a factor anything is posable but all comes down 2 money

Weaselman
24-09-2009, 11:57 AM
All i know is that i LOVE my gas hot water.

Hot enough to cook corn while you shower and never runs out

Fight_fan
24-09-2009, 01:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozzy1100

buy the way if its just a replacment of old unit i would prob just put in a standard unit
315 liter is about 1200 2 1400 $ but a lot less them changeing 2 much ull gett over 10yrs (well anything over 8 is doing well)
space and what needs be be changed allways is a factor anything is posable but all comes down 2 money

The problem is ur lookin at being a hell of a lot more outa pocket with solar! Where as with the heatpump after rebates the things should only have cost u around $400/$500 installed! As apposed to around grand or so with solar. Thats the main reason they are so popular!

Ross_247
24-09-2009, 02:24 PM
i dont even have hot water ..

Fight_fan
24-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Woah Rosco! U r hardcore my friend!

24-09-2009, 06:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Ross_247

i dont even have hot water ..

What's yer address? We'll take up a collection and send ya some.

Shadowzone
24-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I had a family of aboriginals move in next door. The kids challenged me to a water fight this arvo, and you know by the time the kettle boiled it was all over...

ozzy1100
24-09-2009, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

quote:Originally posted by ozzy1100

The problem is ur lookin at being a hell of a lot more outa pocket with solar! Where as with the heatpump after rebates the things should only have cost u around $400/$500 installed! As apposed to around grand or so with solar. Thats the main reason they are so popular!

yer u prob right i never look at it that way lol i never have 2 pay, i only have 2 fit them lol still when my 3rd free hoty(perks of the job) fails ill prob be forced 2 fork out some my own money it will be for sola .

STM77
25-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I thought it was a pretty random question, but i figured there would be a few people on here in the know. Thanks for all the info, much appreciated