PDA

View Full Version : What cylinder head coating to use...

sharky
20-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I am pulling the head off the xjr motor for Scotty Lynch to 'clean up'.
Before it goes back on I was wondering about getting it powder coated (or whatever is appropriate).
Anyone got any advice/experience bearing it mind its an air/oil cooled motor and heat transfer could be an issue...
Any coatings improve heat dispersal ???

miniman1
20-09-2009, 02:30 PM
ceramic coating is supposed to improve heat dispersal....

Anakist
20-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I am pretty sure they use ceramic on the headers because it stops the heat leaving the exhaust gas and going to the headers.

Try emailing some of the ceramic coaters and asking them. They do low friction coatings, and other cool shit which would be worth doing while the engine is apart too!

James

DiscoDan
20-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I'll second that, it's a grreat heat barrier (think space shuttle tiles) which is why it's not uncommon to coat the tops of pistons with it. Aluminium is a highly efficient heat conductor (second only to copper I think) so an coating will be a backwards step

Booster
20-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Not if you put it on the inside ;)

Hillsy
20-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Just go with engine enamel Sharky - PC and ceramic coat will keep the heat in. You don't want that.

latheboy
21-09-2009, 07:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

Not if you put it on the inside ;)

Listen to the man, he knows the way forward

Booster
21-09-2009, 08:15 AM
With my current crop of internal disasters i wouldn't be so confident :) should have followed my own advise :)

sharky
21-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Ok, so powder/ceramic coating is out....as far as the head...
I'll look into the ceramic thing...was reading on the interweb the other night about ceramic coating the combustion chambers and valve faces to reduce heat transfer.[?][?]
I am planning to get the exhaust done as a matter of course...
These motors get pretty bloody hot and anything I can do to control the heat is good.