PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel mix

Seven6
22-11-2006, 10:31 PM
First of all, Hi all.
Been checking out site for a bit and have first question, assume won't be too hard to answer.

These are the parts - have a set of '03 Kwaka 636 forks with radial callipers plus a front wheel & discs from I think a '94 Honda CBR 900 (five star spoke pattern wheel).

For my front end setup I want to use the Kwaka forks/calipers with the honda wheel. Have already found the Kwaka axle not to be compatible with the Honda wheel, but basically want any ideas etc. on whether this is possible to fit/bash/hammer together properly.
Just trying to use what I've got at the moment and limit extra spending:D

Slingblade
22-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.

90's fireblades had six spoke wheels. Anything is possible and if you have the $ you could make it fit. Probably easier to sell the five spoke and find a kwacka rim that will bolt straight on.

Good luck with it.

Seven6
22-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Cheers Slingblade.

Wanted to use RC30 rear swinger and wheel so thats the only reason for trying the front mix.
Don't mind spending the money, just have plenty of time (lost liscense!) and enjoy the research solving the build of what I want.

Gix11
22-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey 7-6, welcome aboard mate.
Things to check would be the brake disc diameter. If they are larger the discs won't fit into your calipers and you'll have to remount your calipers. Alternatively you could replace your discs if they are too big but then you would have to allow for the bolt pattern. Is the axle to big or too small (lenght or girth)? How is the spacing between the fork legs as well? Photos will also help!

Hillsy
23-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Welcome 7-6.

Another thing to consider is the early Blades run a 16 inch front rim. I'd be thinking nowadays this would make your choice of rubber limited compared to a 17?? (any Blade owners can correct me here if I'm wrong).

Also check this link out for Iceman's issues with mixing an RGV front end with a GS500 wheel:
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3060&whichpage=1

Hope you find some matching parts.......and pics please!

Slingblade
23-11-2006, 01:40 PM
The rubber choice is still pretty good for the 16 but now the blade has gone to a 17 since 2000. I have noticed some newly released tyres not having a 16inch. Pilot Powers for example.

If i had the choice i would go for the 17inch rim as it is more stable and tyre choice wont be an issue.

Iceman
23-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Welcome aboard 76, as mentioned by Hillsy, I've had dramas with mismatched forks and wheels. Luckily I have a team of fitter and turners, and thousands of dollars of machinery at my disposal, (when production doesn't get in the way that is).

I've spent the last 3 or 4 weeks measuring up and drawing spacers, shims and various other parts for them to make in their spare time.

Do you have the option of using a more compatible set of forks?

Seven6
23-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Aaaah Feck!!! Thanks heaps all for the replies, got me rethinking it all over again though!

The kwaka axle is too big in girth, but maybe able to just change bearings. Yet to check length propely yet.
Want to try and use current forks as they only cost me 300(score!!). To replace would mean starting again almost.
Organising pics soon. Do have a Duke 748 rear wheel as well so maybe that with the kwaka front might be better.
Should point out, I'm a dumb arse when it comes to machining etc. so trying to minimise the work I pay to get done.

Seven6
25-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately at the moment parts I have are scattered about different places, so still waiting to check measurements properly.

Some searching on the net and I found this site http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za
Most of you probably already know about it, good source for quick reference/comparison of different models and makes.