PDA

View Full Version : Computer fixer uppers

TurboKat
15-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I need my laptop fixed but I don't want to be anally raped (that's for Saturday nights) Does anyone know someone in Melbourne who knows their shit with hardware & doesn't charge like a lawyer?

watkins
15-09-2009, 03:38 PM
what kinda problem?
changing hardware is easy, or do you have next to no idea what's wrong with it?
i'm in heidelberg, im not an IT technician but i might be able to help if im around ya area

gibbo
15-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Just had ours fixed by this mob in Ringwood, pc diagnostics, 1300 723 857. Good service and price seemed pretty good, not that I've had much use for computer repairs in the past. I think the hourly rate is $70.

sen
16-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Got a rough idea of what's wrong with it?

TurboKat
16-09-2009, 11:55 AM
It was turned on & I closed the lid & picked it up to clean underneath it (I sort of squeezed it a bit picking it up & I think that's what has done the damage), I heard it turn off when I had it in my hand so I put it down & turned it back on, it said that Windows did not shut down correctly & gives me options - start in safe mode, safe mode with options, last known good setting, start normally, etc.
Whichever one I choose, it starts to boot up then an error message flashes up for a split second then it shuts down.
The error message says something about certificates & contacting tech support but it's too quick to read.
I've tried tapping it, thumping it, shaking it, massaging it, pointing it towards Mecca, etc, but nothing works.
I've obviously hurt or dislodged something when I picked it up, I've pulled the back off it but can't see anything obvious.

watkins
16-09-2009, 02:24 PM
is it genuine copy of windows (and do u have the disc)?
are u running XP or VISTA?
you got a couple of things u can try
i'd first try reload the boot file (with windows disc) - works 99.9% of the time with boot problems
load another new copy of windows onto the drive so you can recover your data

at a first guess id say when u close the lid it automatically logs out, or turns off or something and as youve squeezed it you shut off the power or corrupted a piece of data in the boot file as it was logging out or whatever.

evilkarl
16-09-2009, 05:17 PM
If you have a copy of a Windows XP Disk, put it in the drive
Press the power button to boot it back up again
Screen should say "Press any key to boot from CD" so press the Any key
Let it boot off the CD until it give you some options
Press "R" for Repair
Select the operating system if it asks and follow you nose to get it booted to a black screen with the cursor blinking
Once you get that type the following and pres enter at the end "chkdsk /R" don't type the ""
Let it run though a scan and try booting normally afterwards

gixkat
16-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Try swearing at it like a deranged maniac:(:( It doesnt work but it makes you feel better ;) It also helps to do all this in front of a IT nerd, they become so frightened they offer to take it home and do the repairs for nicks:D

evilkarl
16-09-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd offer to come over and fix it, but i'd have to insist on anally raping you or at the very least sticking my finger in your ass just a little.

Gix11
18-09-2009, 01:53 PM
If you can get to the option to start in "Safe mode" choose that (if not, as soon as you start the computer up hold and keep holding F8 until you see it) then do a system restore (found Start>Programs>Accessories>Sytem Tools>System Restore) to a date when it was working properly (i.e, before you picked it up with your manly vice-like grip).

scotty
18-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey turbs I got a mate that is a pro with lappy's, He's 2 streets from mine. That close enough for ya? he did a reboot on mine last week for nicks. That cheep enough for ya?

Call me, call me now........

TurboKat
29-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks to all who offered advice & assistance, I ended up taking it to a PC fixing mob & guess what? I got raped in the arse :(
The ripoff cunts charged me $189 for a new hard drive that I could've bought new off Ebay for $25 and $180 for an hour & a half of labour.
On top of that, they installed all this advertising crap that took me half an hour to remove & my anti virus/spyware program has disappeared.
Fucking cocksuckers.

336LJ
30-09-2009, 02:02 AM
hard drive woulda been the last thing Id have suspected was the problem. bet they didnt even put a new one in it.
I have the same problem with my laptop cause the battery shat itself and it runs straight off the power cord, when u bend it the wrong way ( i use it on the couch) it goes "click" and the fucking thing turns off.

Had exactly the same drama you did after I downloaded a torrent file opened it and it froze my fucking laptop. but just kept rebooting it and it eventually let me get into windows without freezing. once I had it up n running I saved all my shit onto an external hard drive, and chucked the system restore disc in and "Restored to out of box state" - she's all good now