PDA

View Full Version : Plug leads

Nudie
14-09-2009, 07:16 PM
If I relocated my front cylinder coil to hide it from view, I would need the plug lead to be about 1m long. Is this at all within the realms of possibility?
Is there a way to extend/replace the lead?
Would voltage drop, or some kind of impedance/induction issue be a problem?

OZ750L
14-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Nudie,

Just to speed things up a bit, what bike?

sharky
14-09-2009, 09:01 PM
How long are plug leads on most cars ????
Can't see it being a problem....might lose 1 or 2 volts from 15,000 or whatever....

Jay_G
14-09-2009, 09:13 PM
go to super cheap and buy one off the rack, alternatively Qld ignition leads custom make leads. not cheap but very high quality.
the issue with older and longer leads is resistance, qld ign leads say that none of theirs has over 2k ohms resistance.

15-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Are the leads a simple plug-in style? Or do you need to think about changing coils as well...

A metre-long plug lead is okay provided you're using a decent brand. Obviously, the longer the lead the higher the resistance.

MSD leads are very good but very expensive. There Super Conductors have 50 ohms of resistence per foot.

Bosch leads are available at any decent car spare parts joint. Bloody good product and cheap.

Don't even consider Top Gun brand leads. They are absolutely shithouse.

Stick with complete, ready to fit plug leads. Unless you have experience and the right tools, stay away from leads that you finish off yourself. It is very easy to fuck up a perfectly good set of leads.

Nudie
15-09-2009, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by OZ750L

Nudie,

Just to speed things up a bit, what bike?

Tis a VTR1000. Without the bodywork, the front cylinder ignition coil is out in the weather. It's never been a problem performance wise, but it looks a bit of an afterthought. The only place to hide it would be under the seat and that's a long way from the plug it fires.
I have no idea if the lead can be seperated from the coil or not.