PDA

View Full Version : radiators?

WATEVR
22-11-2006, 03:10 PM
proberly been asked a hundred times before but does the size of the radiator need to be modified when a full faired bike has been streetfightered?

Gix11
22-11-2006, 03:26 PM
In what sense mate? Do you mean make it smaller for aesthetic reasons or are you talking will the performance of the rad be changed by removing the fairings?

KRASH
22-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Nope I painted mine black to make it look smaller though.

fimpBIKES
22-11-2006, 07:44 PM
if your using a rad from a different bike
then i would go by my general rule of choosing one with a similar peak power

WATEVR
23-11-2006, 02:22 PM
yeah sorry guys fimps on the right track i do want a smaller one for aesthetics but am more concerned at present with the original one that i will be using is it going to operate at correct temp now that there is no fairings

Hillsy
23-11-2006, 02:30 PM
My ZX9 doesn't seem to run any hotter without the fairings. The fan has kicked in when in stop-start traffic, but it did that when the fairings were on anyway.

As long as your fan works, you should be OK.

Gix11
23-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Plus, look how much more air it's getting now! You'll have no problem mate.

MDM
29-11-2006, 12:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Plus, look how much more air it's getting now!
Doesn't always work that way mate... ;)some faired bikes use the fairing to direct air onto (and hence through) the radiator thus increasing the air flow. So when you take the plastic off, the bike runs hotter...
Having said that, you have to remember that the factories make bikes for lots of different markets, so if you're in a colder area then you're highly unlikely to suffer from over-heating... (cos the bikes for different markets have the same rad they'll be big enough to cope for the hottest of markets ie middle east / far east)