PDA

View Full Version : Good 'true' story

Iceman
21-11-2006, 10:13 PM
I was talk'n to my father in-law on the weekend, he told me this story about a guy he knows from WA.

This guy and his misses were do'n the rounds of the garage sales one weekend, at one the places they called in to the bloke noticed an old basket case Harley sitting in the back of the shed. He asked the owner if it was for sale, to which he was told, 'I hadn't planned on selling it, but you can have it for $1000'. The owner explained that it was missing afew bits, but gave him a business card of a place in Sydney where he could get the parts.

After a couple of months the bike was slowly getting put back together, this bloke thought, 'I'll give this mob in Syndey a ring to chase up the missing parts'. They asked him for the frame numbers so they could correctly identify the model. Once he quoted the number he was asked if he was sure if that was in fact the correct number. It was. They immedaitly offered him $20,000 and said they'd fly over and pick it up.

Here's where it gets interesting.

He said no.

Knowing something was up, he rang H.D. in the states. They asked the frame number. Just like before he was asked if he was sure about this. He was then asked to remove the seat from the bike and check if there was anything written under it. Sure enough there was. It said, 'ELVIS 1'. Before the end of the week, reps from H.D. flew over and picked up the bike after paying this bloke $2,000,000. Yes, that's right, a $1000 shitter turned out to be Elvis's first harley.

Being a good honest bloke, after receiving his two million dollars, he returned to the site of the original garage sale and gave the guy he bought it off two hundred and fifty grand.

BOHEMION
21-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Man thats awesome that he went back and gave the Old bloke some $$$ as well!!!

chopaweeza
22-11-2006, 05:01 AM
Hate to piss on your story but you obviously aren't old enough to know that the "Lost Elvis Bike" story circulates every 10 years or so. All Elvis' bikes are accounted for and with large collections. Last time it was a Harley with a brass plate saying "To Elvis from your friend James Dean" , the time before that it was a Sportster with Elvis No. 6 engraved on the seat pan (Elvis never owned a Sportster)and the time before that it was Elvis' lost ElectraGlide. All these stories follow the usual Mate of a Mate type format, involve getting the bike for a song and then having it valued at an unbelievable price. The Elvis Sportster Story grew so large that it was even written up as an article in the NRMA Open Road Magazine and was retracted in the next issue after someone actually did some real research . The Lost Elvis Bike Yarn has been around since the early 60's and sucks all sorts of gullible types in. For example, I had a 73' Sportster at the time the Open Road article came out. I engraved "To Elvis, Your Friend Jerry Lee Lewis" on the underside of the seat, "Distressed" it with lemon juice and salt water and sold it in the Trading Post. I had a dozen "Elvis Hunters" come over and ended up selling the bike for $10,500 cash(I had it listed at $3,500) in an impromptu auction amongst them.I never claimed that it was an Elvis bike and none of them told me that they saw the engraving on the seat base So I was happy. The easiest people to Con are Con men and the buyer firmly believed he had stung me until the article retracting the "Elvis Sportster" story was retracted and a properly researched article printed.

A variation on this is the "Picasso bought for $5" .

Docktor
22-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Course he owned a harley, how ya think he got all them shakes happenin on stage ?.

Doc

TurboKat
22-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, that's an old one, heard it a few times now.

WATEVR
22-11-2006, 02:29 PM
i must agree with the others and say its one i heard a few times with a few variations.

Iceman
22-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey, it's still a good story.

fimpBIKES
22-11-2006, 05:57 PM
oh yeah,
there is a bloke in newcastle with what we believe to be elvis's first v-rod!!!!

haha :D

KRASH
22-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Wel I've got Phar Lap's first GSXR1000[:o)]

Tony Nitrous
24-11-2006, 04:54 PM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/elvis.asp

Large
24-11-2006, 05:16 PM
One day you fuckers will be able to say;

I knew Large before he was famous

:D

chopaweeza
24-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Sorry Large but we'll probably be saying"I knew large before he was arrested and sentenced to life"