PDA

View Full Version : Repack muffler

Nudie
07-09-2009, 07:37 PM
A couple of years ago myself and my bike parted company with the road and (among other things) one of the mufflers got a bit squashed. I drilled out the rivets and pulled it apart to beat the skin (roughly) back into shape. But when it came time to reassemble it, the wooly looking stuff that wraps around the inner perforated bit didn't want to go back in! So, I did the right thing and chucked it away.
I'm now thinking I might like to put some of the wooly looking stuff back in, so-

Q1 Could anybody tell me where to get some of this wooly looking stuff (and maybe what to ask for so the man at the shop doesn't try to sell me a Merkin instead)
Q2 Any hints as to getting the wooly looking stuff into the muffler properly (the inner baffle is round, but the muffler is ovular)

BANDITROD
07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
mate you can buy it from your local bike shop and it is called muffler packing and its not to hard to put in mate just poke it in with a stick

Cruisecontrol
07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

just poke it in with a stick

Now that is a motorcycle modification quote for the ages...

BANDITROD
07-09-2009, 08:28 PM
hahahahahahahaha i was being serious

Jay_G
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
there is two types of packing, one is a matting and the other looks like a ball of wool gone mad, apparently the wool type is better as it doesn't char up and become clogged around the perforations, dunno how true it is, a bag of it cost me $20 a few years ago and bandit is right push it in and poke it down firmly.

OZ750L
07-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Go grab a fist full of stainless steel scourers (I think they call them curly girls....) from Woolies or somewhere and stretch them over the inner pipe. Use a couple of layers of them if need be. Did it to the lil bro's TT250 powerhouse and worked a treat. If you only open up one end the like Rod said, poke it in with a stick.

yoda
07-09-2009, 10:11 PM
just don't pack it too tight or it'll do fuckall

WATEVR
08-09-2009, 01:11 PM
or if you want you can do the 2 stroke dirt bike thing and use some house roof insulation!!

grindella
08-09-2009, 05:28 PM
try fibre glass matting easier to use than the wool

Nudie
08-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys, i'll go get some stainless two stroke roof wool and a stick on the way home. Should be done in less than a six pack!!