PDA

View Full Version : Brand Spankin

watkins
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Okay, so I'm buying a NEW bike this week, most likely the Speed triple with a bunch of extras.

I'm after some advice on bargaining for new bike.

RRP for S3 $17,990 INCLUDING ORC

Now the extras I want bring the bike up to $21,791
(seat cowl, rear wheel hugger, slip on exhausts, flyscreen, imobolizer, + fender eliminator)

This price is well above say a new Ducati 1100 which comes with most of these items STANDARD.

So now I'm tied deciding between because at first I loved the Ducati but the $21,990 price sounded too high, with the S3 Im in the same position now.

I told the Triumph dealer my situation and that paying that much for the Triumph would be like paying more for a BMW than a Ferrari, and needed him to speak to the manager and work out a best price something under the 21,000 mark. I get a call back and my answer is 'once you pay the deposit we can tell you what the best price for the bike is'

that has turned me away from the deal completely.. I'm wondering what really I could expect off the price, and possibly another triumph dealer in melbourne/victoria (as the one i went to is the only i know of)?

Ross_247
01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Most dealers will charge through the roof for accesories... there are much cheaper ways of getting them,....

I would Definitly take the Speed Triple of any Ducati,

watkins
01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah their RRP is fucking ridiculous but i figured if youre buying enough shit off them they will take a chunk off the whole price of the bike and then at least you only have 1 place to go back to if something fucks up.

sen
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I'd go the triple but get the accessories separately. Dealerships are now the place to do up your bike.. they mark shit up stupidly huge to take advantage of people all excited over their new bike to impulse-buy.

watkins
01-09-2009, 04:52 PM
but if i were to get a grand off the price, would take the extras down to around $2,800 after a quick browse of the web the extras i want from around the web including postages and shit will end up about the same.. (seat cowl, rear wheel hugger, slip on exhausts (x2 with removable baffles), flyscreen, imobolizer, + fender eliminator)
buying genuine parts from ebay and some other places by the time u pay shipping ends up only saving maybe 2% on the price youd pay from the dealer anyway?

EFE 1230
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
"I get a call back and my answer is 'once you pay the deposit we can tell you what the best price for the bike is'"

They want you to hand over your money/sign paperwork BEFORE they tell you how much?

tell them to GET FUCKED and go somewhere else, run, run fast and don't look back because you're about to be bent over and fucked in the arse.

watkins
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
the problem is i love the bike and my other option looks like might be going interstate. what a fuckaround, i was excited to be making a deal today and have the bike for this weekend.

DiscoDan
01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Given they will have something like 100% markup on those accessories plus the margin on the bike they have a bit to move with here. I'd be looking for at least $2k off the package price given the current state of the new motorcycle market. As EFE said, this "pay first, price later" shit is just shit shit. Shop around on the phone, get your list of accessories and call another dealer with a target price, the worst they can do is blow you off

puppet
01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
You can get them here in Brisbane for $16,500 ride away. PM me if you want.

MTBEERWAH
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Mate don`t get caught by the glitter and shiny stuff. At the moment your dancing with them and their leading the way,stand your ground, the bike will always be there,and if its another week before you rap your legs around it,then so be it, don`t give in to temtation!! Win the battle.

BOHEMION
01-09-2009, 05:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by watkins

the problem is i love the bike

they can spot stary eyed toy shoppers mate. Go else where but if they call you again tell them to get fucked. Thats a Mugs way of selling something

lurch
01-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Agree with the others on the "deposit now, price later" shit - tell them to get fucked. They have no doubt noticed your excitement and are hoping they can jack the price up because you want it now. Leaves you wide open once you have signed too.

I ride an 08 with everything you have listed except I have an Arrow 3-1 full system and bellypan on it and no immobiliser. I nutted out a deal with the accessories, bought it all in one order and fitted it all myself. I had problems even getting a salesman to talk deals at my local dealer so just went elsewhere. All up was a shade over $2k cheaper than you were quoted, which is still a fucking lot of dough.

Definitely Triple over Ducati too.

watkins
01-09-2009, 05:37 PM
haha im working around it.
getting parts managers at a couple of places to give me best prices on the shit i want.
once i get the price and the deal is done, cant wait to call back the other c**t and let him know

watkins
01-09-2009, 05:40 PM
lurch, how far did u stretch off the bike itself retail (i understand this is where u dont cut much off maybe a couple hundred bucks am i right?)

also havent expressed any bright eyed fairy dancing poofta touching excitement to them. made it clear to the salesmen their price is what had to sell me because i'm set on the ducati.

HOS
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
The Triumph dealer wants you to pay a deposit to buy a bike they refuse to tell you the price of ?

Give the main importers a phone call in Aus and tell them what their dealer is doing, tell them your gonna buy a new Ducati if their dealer does`nt do you a really cheap deal ? :D

watkins
01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
i think the dealer im dealing with actually is owned by triumph australian importer (am i giving too much info away? hahahah)

EFE 1230
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
The salesman HAS to sell the bike but you don't have to buy it, that's the bottom line.

Do what HOS said, ring the distributor and politely inquire as to why you have to sign a contract to buy a bike BEFORE they tell you how much your going to pay, give them names then tell them all the other dealers you visited (Ducati/Honda/Kwak/Suz) had no such policy.

You might just get a call from the dealer manager grovelling and offering to smooth things over.

watkins
01-09-2009, 07:18 PM
sounds great, any idea how i get in contact direct with distributor?

also wouldnt the distributor not give a shit as they have already sold the dealer the bike?

gixkat
01-09-2009, 07:34 PM

sounds great, any idea how i get in contact direct with distributor?

also wouldnt the distributor not give a shit as they have already sold the dealer the bike?

No the dealer is fucking with their brand doing business like that, and no offence mate but you sound really keen on this particular bike are you sure you didnt get a wee bit starry eyed when you were there:);)

russo
01-09-2009, 07:58 PM
if u close enuff 2 newcastle brisans has a ex demo orange 1 for 19500 with full exhaust(supposedly 4k worth) bellypan levers and couple other bits n pieces
prolly could get em lower on price 2

HOS
02-09-2009, 05:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by EFE 1230

The salesman HAS to sell the bike but you don't have to buy it, that's the bottom line.

Do what HOS said, ring the distributor and politely inquire as to why you have to sign a contract to buy a bike BEFORE they tell you how much your going to pay, give them names then tell them all the other dealers you visited (Ducati/Honda/Kwak/Suz) had no such policy.

You might just get a call from the dealer manager grovelling and offering to smooth things over.

Best way ;) He might get a cracking deal out of it.
Dealers are such dicks at times [xx(]

watkins
02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
ended up shopping around getting best prices, working out what i can pay if i bought accessories after market, put 2+2 together, called them and gave them my offer, salesman negotiated with the manager and they declined said sorry mate no deal. got the managers number, spoke to him 1 on 1, ended up where i wanted =)
deposit paiddd
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x80/Watkns/news3.jpg

Watto
02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
mate you'll love the triple - had mine nearly 9 years now and love it - have to admit when I got mine there weren't many around so was pretty unqiue and definitely seeing more on the road now so the word is getting out

watkins
02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
to be honest i haven't seen many myself either, i bet their common as fish n chips over in the uk tho.

rod185651
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Congratulations mate on your new ride, enjoy

lurch
03-09-2009, 07:18 AM

lurch, how far did u stretch off the bike itself retail (i understand this is where u dont cut much off maybe a couple hundred bucks am i right?)

I can only find paperwork for the total price paid. I got some bits and pieces from Triumph when I bought it (paid as one bill) and I paid about $500 more than I thought I did all up. If I recall correctly the bike was about $17k ride away.

Congrats on the purchase, you'll fuckin love it.

robmac
03-09-2009, 02:38 PM
One of the best road bikes available to buy imo. I sold mine a year ago and still miss it. Save your dollars for a racetech revalve for the forks and an ohlins or penske shock , makes a massive difference over stock.
Enjoy the massive mono's :D

Fight_fan
03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
The matt black is shit hot mate! Gr8 choice!