PDA

View Full Version : 2 pak polish

Slingblade
18-11-2006, 05:43 PM
This is one for kamakazebusa or one of the paint gurus.
I have painted my blade in black 2pak, just a shed air dry job. It came up pretty glossy straight off the gun as 2pak does but there are some minor imperfections etc in the finish. My question is what can i use to polish it with. I dont know whether i should cut it back or just use a basic polish and some elbow grease.
I dont want or expect a mirror finish, i just want to know what the best plan of attack is.

Any help appreciated.

gibbo
18-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey Boris, you should sand the problem areas with 1500 wet & dry and buff the area with a foam pad on a buff using some cutting compound. If you don't have a buff you need to sand with 2000 after the 1500 and hand polish with soft cloth and cutters followed by a fine cutting compound and then a good wax. Good luck.

Slingblade
18-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks gibbo. I will have a go with the wet and dry as i dont have a buff. What do you mean by 'cutters'?

gibbo
19-11-2006, 06:54 PM
After you sand back the finish with the wet & dry you will need to polish the paint back to a gloss finish, to do this you will need a cutting (or rubbing) compound which is a paste containing fine abrasive material which when applied and rubbed or buffed polishes out the sand scratches left by sanding.

Slingblade
19-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Ok no worries. So use the wet and dry, then a medium cutting compound, a fine compound and then wax. Thanks for the help mate.

Kamakazebusa
25-11-2006, 08:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Slingblade

This is one for kamakazebusa or one of the paint gurus.
I have painted my blade in black 2pak, just a shed air dry job. It came up pretty glossy straight off the gun as 2pak does but there are some minor imperfections etc in the finish. My question is what can i use to polish it with. I dont know whether i should cut it back or just use a basic polish and some elbow grease.
I dont want or expect a mirror finish, i just want to know what the best plan of attack is.

Any help appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply dude, just found this thread.......OK lets start at the top.

1.What type of primer did u use. Did u block it back??

2.what was the result of finish ur not happy with.....? do u have shrinkback or blistering in the paintwork.??

3. Cutting it back will remove some of the imperfections but too much will bust through the paintwork.

4. I need to see it. post a pic or PM me.

Let me know how u went
cheers

Slingblade
25-11-2006, 09:27 AM
The finish is ok. The imperfections were a couple of small bits of shit that came out of the gun while the colour was going on. I think its because we didnt strain the paint, as the gun was thouroughly cleaned after the primer went on and it was a brand new gun.

I aint that worried about it. Gives it character. I hit it with a decent polish and it came up nice and shiny. It aint a show bike.

Thanks for the help though.

Kamakazebusa
25-11-2006, 09:57 AM
all good, yeah u gotto strain the paint b4 pouring into ya gun dude. If it just needed a defib (common word used when polishing lint,dust or Bugs that land on fresh paintwork) it should be all good.

I'm impressed with everyones ability to do their own work, thats admirable. keep up the work ppl.
Its what makes this site so good.

Slingblade
25-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I was going to hit it with some cutting compound as suggested above but i really dont know what i am doing and i am worried it will end up looking worse than when i started.