PDA

View Full Version : IGNITION ADVANCER ADVICE. WTD: fork brace.

dazz
18-11-2006, 11:35 AM
is there a fork brace available or should i get one made for the bandit?

I also want an ignition advancer. Who does them and about how much?

Cruisecontrol
18-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I've never felt the need for a fork brace but that may just be a personal choice.

Regarding the ignition advancer, just do it yourself. It is a very quick and simple mod that won't cost a cent.

Step 1: Remove the Signal Generator Cover (right/front engine cover).
Step 2: Remove the trigger rotor by removing the bolt in the center.
Step 3: Remove the 3 screws holding the ignition plate and loosen the plate.
Step 4: Enlarge the bolt holes in clockwise direction. *

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/ignadv.gif

Step 5: Reinstall the plate and trigger.
Step 6: Torque the trigger bolt to 25-34Nm/18-25.5lbft.
Step 7: Rotate the plate counterclockwise and tighten the 3 screws.
Step 8: Reinstall the cover.
Step 9: Testride time!

* How much should you enlarge the holes/rotate the plate?
Enlarge the holes ~5mm. The amount of advance should be 3-5° and 1° is ~1mm of slotting the plate.
A dyno test will find the best setting, but if you have no dyno and the motor is not highly modified, try 5° first.

Be careful not to over do it and listen for engine detonation which usually occurs at low RPM and high load (lugging).
On a basically stock (rejetted fits in this category) engine you may seet 1-2 Hp in the midrange, but mostly it's improved response.

Aftermarket advance triggers you can by have usually a fixed setting of 5°, so if you don't go any wilder with your slotting than that, you should be safe.

dazz
18-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Much obliged criuse

ozkat
18-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Nice work CC i think that should be added to the "How to" section.

18-11-2006, 08:03 PM
dam fine How To there CC,well done.

Gix11
20-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I'll get that in there soon. Cheers CC.

Gix11
24-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Ok. Added to "how to" section.

24-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Listen ya spastic[}:)]why do ya need a fork brace wen the front end is no where near the black vynil:Dbang sum OHLINS fork springs in it;)& if that dont work we`ll revalve em[:p]Mundy style[8D]

24-11-2006, 07:04 PM
PS. one should not get retardation mixed up with advanced timing;):Dthey can mean the same to 2 different people at the same table[8D]

RUSS M8
24-11-2006, 07:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by mad mundy

PS. one should not get retardation mixed up with advanced timing
I know a few blokes who are definately not advanced, maybe retards is abit harsh though....!!!

I dunno about the fork brace, I have heard blokes rave about em, but I've seen other blokes go way fast without em... [?]

Cruisecontrol
25-11-2006, 02:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Ok. Added to "how to" section.

Cheers.

Got the name wrong though: "Submitted by Crusiecontrol " ;)

Hillsy
26-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey Cruisecontrol,

Nice DIY tip on the advancer. I've got an extra tip to add though (I did this on my old GSX's some years ago) - before you take the ignition plate off, find a spot where it is flush with the crankcase (and there's some room) and scribe a "degree" mark across the edge of the ignition plate and onto the crankcase (this way you'll know were the original timing point is).
Then when you take the plate off to elongate the mounting holes, scribe some extra degree lines on the clockwise side of the first line (as many as you like - about 1mm apart) . When you put it back on, you can use these as degree marks and you'll be able to track your changes much more accurately / easily.

Gix11
27-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Crusiecontrol. Yea, that's not my best work........

Added your additional as well Hillsy.

27-11-2006, 03:23 PM
The same effect can be achieved via your rocker clearance;)