PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Diesel

MTBEERWAH
27-08-2009, 05:07 PM
So..been think`n, i`d like to see a turbo diesel bike, i know alot will say shut up idiot, but after driving a few new turbo diesel 4x4`s and cars,the generation of diesels out there at the moment is mind blowing with the copious amount of torque they produce, yes they lack HP, but the kick in the arse the give is brilliant, you could almost take off in top gear with the weight of a bike. A standard 2.0-2.5L engine is almost producing 400NM of torque, and thats pushing a 2 tonne vehicle, so a 1.0 L in a 220KG odd bike would have to hammer. Last year Audi won the 24 hr race in turbo diesels, so, they aint slow.
Thoughts anyone...?

BANDITROD
27-08-2009, 05:16 PM
220kgs mate i reckon by the time you drop a diesel car/ute motor in she might be alot more than that mate ......but you never know it might be a good thing

MTBEERWAH
27-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I didn`t mean to put a car engine in it, a meant to make one specifically for a bike, so it

sharky
27-08-2009, 05:47 PM
UK mag used to have 'idiot of the week'
The winning letter asked if, due to high fuel costs, he put a bolt in instead of a spark plug and filed up with diesel would it run ???????

Cruisecontrol
27-08-2009, 05:57 PM
All I see is a lot of effort for no benefit.
If you are worried about fuel consumption whilst riding a motorcycle then you are a tightarse of the highest order and need to be beaten accordingly.
Secondly, isn't a turbo almost a prerequisite when it comes to diesel engines? If so, why not just slap a turbo on your petrol jobbie and get twice as much bang for your buck?

BANDITROD
27-08-2009, 06:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by MTBEERWAH

I didn`t mean to put a car engine in it, a meant to make one specifically for a bike, so it
ahh my baD

MTBEERWAH
27-08-2009, 07:15 PM
good to see i`ve stepped on a few toes, fuel economy... doesn`t bother me... petrol turbo...yes hammers...just a different concept, cause i really like low down torque, not to say i wood ever own such a contraption, but you should be able to get torque a lot lower than petrol, and yes,whats a diesel without a turbo,fully agree. The youtube clips i`ve seen with on board camera(very few clips i might ad)R1 and Busa,all seem to have boost hitting about 6000-8500rmp,i don`t want that,i want 2000-5000rpm torque curve, like i say,not that i wood own one..but something different.
All criticism taken on the chin.

Cruisecontrol
27-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Yamaha did it a few years ago. It is called the MT01.

MTBEERWAH
27-08-2009, 07:22 PM
yeh yeh

Tarzan
27-08-2009, 09:48 PM
diesel may well be the future interesting concept. Plus a lot of diesel engines are making big figures bloody good idea I reckon, got a cnc machine handy?

Jockney Rebel
27-08-2009, 11:18 PM
slap a turbo on a enfield deisel 500 and try it

DaveK5
28-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I know a bloke who was lookin at putting a kubota 3cyl diesel in to a bmw or goldwing frame using the bike gearbox and drive train.
He's a truck driver...likes his bikes and his diesels.
I reckon that done right a diesoline could be cool.

Nutters....http://www.dieselbike.net/

28-08-2009, 08:23 PM
The idea of a turbo diesel bike appeals to my twisted sense of humour... a bike that everybody hates.

Weaselman
28-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Id buy a diesel bike because if you hack around town you would have mountians of torque with fuck all revs and insane fuel economy and if you look at the ones that are floating around on youtube there are some good looking and sounding ones too

El_Hefty
28-08-2009, 10:56 PM
bags not kick start the fucker

Iceman
29-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I remember reading an article a few years ago about a diesel powered dirtbike being produced for the US military. They made it work, but from memory it was heavy as fuck.

Jay_G
29-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I was having a think about this a few weeks ago, the best option would be a 1.2-1.9L Turbo diesel direct injection engine from a euro car, fairly smooth, dont pump out a lot of black smoke like older diesels, and can be tuned for a fair bit more power and torque as they are all computer controlled.
only issue i can see is sorting out an external transmission for them, there is a good chance all the torque would destroy a hardley ferguson one quick smart.

ShedBoy
30-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Diesel and bikes have never made sense but times are changing. Diesel tech has come leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. I think it will happen one day but I agree with Jay G the drive line will need to be heavy duty to produce some reliability. Check out this section of the kneeslider to see what is happening around the world.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/category/diesel-motorcycle/