PDA

View Full Version : Cost of primary chain job

Jup
26-08-2009, 02:07 PM
G'day guys/gals,

My dad has put his baldor 900 into the shop for what he thought was a cam chain issue, the mech has told him it is a worn primary chain and will cost around the $1500 mark.

Does this sound reasonable or is he being ripped off?

scotty mac
26-08-2009, 02:25 PM
ya cam chain will proly cost about $100-$150, the rest is labour at about $88 p/h.

Jup
26-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the quick reply mate, so this means the mechanic is expecting the job to take in excess of 15 hours to complete. Does this also sound reasonable?

He's had trouble with these guys before and I'm just trying to be certain that they're looking after him this time.

(the last time I had major work done on an engine it cost me some assistance and a few slabs of beer, so I have no frame of reference)

Hagarr
26-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Make sure they check the gears aren't worn as a mate of mine had his CB1100RB done twice before they realised that the problem was sprockets as well as chain.

It was an ex race bike so had had a hard time

Hillsy
26-08-2009, 03:43 PM
It's a split the cases job for the primary chain - so that's a stack of labour right there. Plus gaskets....parts.....probably not a bad price.

Jay_G
26-08-2009, 06:41 PM
is it possible for your old man to buy a manual, the bits and get stuck into it himself?

Jup
26-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks again for the helpful responses guys.

Jay: He does have a manual but prefers not to take on such major work himself anymore - he's kind of over all that stuff now and just prefers to tinker and ride.

I just got off the phone with him. Apparently there is an adjustment cover under the oil pan (similar to massey.. I mean Harley Davidson) so the mechanic is going to drop the engine and see if that is all that is required without going to the effort of splitting the cases etc.

It sounds to me like this guy might actually know what he's doing. I hope you don't mind if I come back with further questions as the situation develops?

grindella
27-08-2009, 02:16 AM
adjustment cover??? though those things were internally tensioned. think you need another opinion from different mechanic

Chris41
27-08-2009, 10:17 AM
A lot of Boldors get really noisy when the carbs are out of balance
and that makes the primary and clutch knock, it would be hard for a mechanic to actually judge if the primary was crook with out a pull down,
Is the mechanic used to working on old school bikes or just moderns?
Most mechanics don't want to work on older stuff so the price could be to scare him off. but it is, engine out, flip upside down, split cases,rods unbolted, remove crank and primary, exchange chain and put back together depending on age bearings may as well go in It would probably take me half a day to do properly (maybe an hour and a half at the track but I wouldn't be nice to be around :))
I've never had a serious problem even with well out of spec primarys
Cam tensioners in 900s were shit I haven't pulled a 900 down that didn't have broken tensioners or about to fail
If it's just rattly I would get the carbs balanced check the adjustment on the cam tensioners and also the starter clutch bolts go loose and make some funny noises
Bert Kingston still has a lot of parts for older stuff I think the last primary was I think around $130 COD actually he might know of a back yarder in your area who can help
http://www.bkperformance.com.au/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=3

If your dad wants to get his hands dirty get a manual and checkout CB1100F.net http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums
lot of guys there into the Boldors

Chris41
27-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Missed that bit . There is no adjustment in the oil pan the tensioner is hydraulically adjusted.
a tip if you do pull it down is to zip tie the tensioner down when re building ( don't forget to remove though)

Jup
27-08-2009, 03:20 PM
thanks again, it would be easier if he were savvy enough to simply join the forum and chat directly. I'll pass along your advice. It is appreciated.

JackTar
27-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Well whatever you do don't teach him, it's top secret.