PDA

View Full Version : Cable operated intake butterfly thingummy question

sharky
24-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Ok so think of the intakes on a drag car...butterflys that open via a cable connected to the throttle pedal....

If I had a similar set up on a bike ie butterfly shut/throttle shut..etc I reckon it would stuff around with the mixture so I'm a thinkin as I would have a filtered 'vent' in the airbox to prevent presurisation, the motor would breathe normally at low revs and then get a good feed of cool air from the front of the bike at full throttle.

Trouble is I guess when ya cruisin on the freeway the throttle is only slightly open so the 'vent' would have to be big enough to supply a decent airflow....

Oh and Tk...NO I will NOT be using a Kuryakn Hypercharger despite you begging me to at the weekend...they're ghey !;)

DiscoDan
24-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm obviously missing something here Russell, what's wrong with having the slightly pressurised feed from the front at partial throttle?

sharky
24-08-2009, 08:50 PM
If I pressurise the airbox I'll blow the fuel outta the carbies...
I'm thinkin 1/4 throttle open at 110k freeway crusing = 1/4 open butterfly...not supplying enough air.
I guess I could work to different ratios...
Its just an idea...I want a cold air fed airbox on this thing...my 1200 in the uk worked great like this.
I'm trying to find a trick way of doing it. Found this on evilbay today...
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1251208313.jpg

DiscoDan
24-08-2009, 10:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

I'm thinkin 1/4 throttle open at 110k freeway crusing = 1/4 open butterfly...not supplying enough air.
Its just an idea...I want a cold air fed airbox on this thing...my 1200 in the uk worked great like this.

Are talking about about fuel blowing out the float bowls? If so just run the overflow lines into the pressurised airbox (with some silicone to seal it) and you've got equilibrium with the inlets

Hillsy
25-08-2009, 08:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

quote:Originally posted by sharky

Are talking about about fuel blowing out the float bowls? If so just run the overflow lines into the pressurised airbox (with some silicone to seal it) and you've got equilibrium with the inlets

Yep, wot 'e said ^^^^^

That's how the Kwakas run the ram air on the carb'd bikes - they have a "balance" pipe starting at the very front of the ram tube that goes to the float bowls to keep the inlet tract pressure the same as the float bowls. You'll need to run a fuel pump (if you aren't already)to keep the fuel up to the carbs though. And you might need to piss around a bit with jetting....

sharky
25-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah, thats why I am not going to pressurise the airbox....creates all sorts of problems ...
My FJ in the uk had a vent about 75mm square in the base of the airbox to prevent this.
All I am after is a supply of cool air from the front of the bike...the carbs get warm on these biks and seeing as the air is flowing around the hot motor and into the carbs it seems logical to try to give it what it likes...

Shadowzone
25-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm sure you could rig up something to cool the air intercooler style without too much drain or draw on the power. You really only need to knock 4 to 7 degrees celsius off the ambient air temp to giv you a shitload more bang for your buck

Hillsy
25-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Heat shield???

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1251174144.jpg

sharky
25-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Thing is ...this is me....and this bike is hopefully gonna have the 'WTF ?' factor...plus I have always liked odd lookin machines..so the air intake/pipe/butterfly thing appeals to my sense of weird...
Remember this one ?
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1251180120.jpg

[}:)]:D[}:)]

EFE 1230
25-08-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1251249080.jpg

Give it some REAL forced induction!!!!