PDA

View Full Version : Relocating electrics under tank

EFE 1230
22-08-2009, 09:21 AM
How "safe" is it to mount all the electrics under the tank/airbox?

Looking to change the subframe on a SRAD 600 and there's no space for any of the bits normally attached to the stock frame.

Do any of the components need air flow or make any sort of heat to cause problems?

Who's got pics of how they've done it?

scotty mac
22-08-2009, 12:46 PM
i've mounted my cdi n starter relay where my airbox was(got pods now)on my 93 750. the rest of the loom is under the tank.not sure how safe it is but it worked fine on my old oil cooled 750. i'll get some pics if it helps.

yoda
23-08-2009, 09:08 AM
i've got most of the wiring on my gixxer under the tank(cdi and stuff isnt tho) and haven't had any probs mate.
as long as you can stop yhem from getting stupid hoy it should be ok

EFE 1230
23-08-2009, 09:31 AM
On the srad all the bits are behind plastic out of airflow so I was going to make up a tray to mount everything on and wrap it in heat tape to keep the engine heat away but wasn't sure how it would affect the battery, (going to use a gell filled one). There's plenty of room within the frame rails just want to avoid any probs that anyone has had as well as making sure I don't fry anything, bike included!

yoda
23-08-2009, 10:38 AM
i reckon thatd be fine mate.
not real sure bout the battery tho

grindella
23-08-2009, 12:04 PM
the components should be ok because the units ar potted in resin but dont be stupid in placement (ie you dont put electrical components directly on motor or anything that transfers heat) and just think about accessability to battery. All should be ok

sickboy
23-08-2009, 12:56 PM
some regulater/rectifier units dont like the heat much.