PDA

View Full Version : A quick question for all CBR900 riders

hotmilk
20-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I've just gone and looked at the first of a few with the possibility of buying one. It was a 97 model if that helps.

When old mate started it up, it had a slight rattle from the clutch area. He reckons that it's a common thing in them when they're cold.

My question is has anyone else heard of it/does anyone elses bike do it?

or is he talking shit?

Other than that it was pretty clean. And he wants to sell it with a rwc, so i assume he cant be too full of shit, but still a bit cautious ;)

Anyway any help would be great! :)

EFE 1230
20-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Pretty much bullet proof when looked after, has it got a good service history? does the noise goes away when the clutch is pulled in?

hotmilk
20-08-2009, 09:50 PM
yeah has a good service history. got 34000k's, not sure whether went away when pulled in, let it idle for a few mins and it was gone after sitting there for 30 secs or so.

EFE 1230
20-08-2009, 10:29 PM
34k not run in yet! If the noise goes away wouldn't worry about it just make sure the gearbox shifts sweet and there is no funny engine noises under load (test ride) as in "normal use" you don't need to hammer it, anything weird will make itself known while riding.

hotmilk
21-08-2009, 05:43 PM
sweet. cheers!

Shadowzone
23-08-2009, 04:45 AM
I bought a 96 Sept last yr and 2nd day of ownership the gearbox lunched itself. no warning no noises just dropped out of third bounced between 2nd and third landed in 2nd with a bang before I could get the clutch in and the rest is history.

That was at 70,000k's or there abouts. The good thing about them is a running 2nd hand motor from a wreckers will only cost around a grand if the worst happens...

grindella
24-08-2009, 12:17 AM
There is a white metal bearing in the clutch basket that has some wear on it causing the noise. Very little you can do about it, if you replace the bearing the noise will come back eventually. My advice, unless it iterferes with the operation of the clutch, is leave it alone. This is common in many jap bikes.