PDA

View Full Version : Running Poorly

Disturbed_Dave
19-08-2009, 07:08 PM
My '00 ZX6R is having a hard time at the moment.
I dont have fairings on it, so all it has is the two intake pipes on either side of the frame (this is obviously the problem).

Originally the issue was, a suspected, but not big, loss of power, and when coming off the throttle, it burbled quite a bit.

Before I continue, my bike has an Akrapovic end can and K&N Hi flow filter, in which, the bike was never rejetted to suit these changes.

So a couple of weeks ago, I had it rejetted, and walah, no more burbling (was running lean - i would presume). However, at 110km/h, it now has a MASSIVE flat spot, which the only way to overcome it and pass it, is to throttle on harder.

My main concern: On Sunday, I got caught in high winds and rain, and it got to the point where over 60km/h, that flat spot was there... No matter what I did, I could not get it over 90km/h. I'm guessing it has to do with the high density of air getting into the bike, and possibly leaning it out. My question is, why would it be running worse now than it was before I had it rejetted to richen it up a bit??

How have others set up their Ninja's so even on a cold day, it doesnt run like a piece of sh*t???

Sorry for the essay-like post, but I thought the more info the better.

timbo
19-08-2009, 08:19 PM
The zx6 run a ram air system on them so you need to balance the float bowl with the same air pressure as the throttle plates see. on the top of the carbs there should be a tube that used to go to the two small tubes in the ram air ducts. You need to plumb that balance pipe into the air box thus giving you equal pressure to the bowls and the throttle plate. unless this is already done then I've go nothing for ya

Iceman
19-08-2009, 08:20 PM
You need a M-flash relay................ no wait we solved that one. Um, I not sure about this. Maybe one of the Kwaka boys can help. TK or Timbo, perhaps?

Iceman
19-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Ya beat me to it Tim

Disturbed_Dave
19-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Haha Iceman, yes you've solved that dilemma! The M-Flash worked a treat.

Timbo I think I know what hose you're talking about... I believe it is the Engine breather hose, it's poking out the front of the frame. On the end of that hose is a plastic y-piece which is a filter. It had two hoses coming off it, one to each side of the ram air duct.

Is that the hose you mean?

If so, I thought that hose goes straight to the airbox? I think I really need to get the tank off and have a good look at it.

timbo
19-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Yep that sounds about right but once you get the tank off all shall be revealed

Disturbed_Dave
19-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I honestly think that hose would have nothing to do with it.

Question is, how do you plumb it into the air box? Take the end that is at the moment sticking out the front of the bike, and shove it where? (be kind)

timbo
19-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Ok i'll be kind and supply the lube
I sold my zx6 a while ago so i'm running from memory the tube from the front of the bike in the duct should go to the carbs float bowls, on my zxr that tube now goes from the bowls into the side of the air box

Disturbed_Dave
19-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Bit worried about the offer of a phone number after a mention of lube. Haha. Actually, I found a good post in the forums that explains it all, so should have it pretty much sorted hopefully!

Unfortunately I cant look at it til later in the weekend as i'm at the footy Friday night, and a few other things going on... but hopefully get a chance by Sunday to strip it down and give it a go!

timbo
19-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Yer i forgot about that thread good luck with it mate

Disturbed_Dave
23-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Okay, so i've now done this mod. Took it for a quick spin yesterday... same result. 3rd gear, 70km/h, and it bogs down. High revs are the only thing that brings it back to life.

The bike was rejetted, and this is when the problem was magnified, so i think maybe now that ive done this mod, im gonna have to get it rejetted again. It was rejetted due to exhaust/air filter change, not to fix the current problem.

The one thing I did realize when i had the airbox off, however. There are 4 thin rubber tubes underneath where the 2 lines i have modified are. the two middle tubes are joint together with a T piece to make 1 connection. All 4 of these lines have been blocked off, and lead to nowhere. I think they used to go to a vacuum switch. Looks to me like someone has removed it. Could this be part of my problem?

livewire
24-08-2009, 03:30 PM
When you rejetted it, did you also go up in the pilot jets?
Pilots can effect tuning up to about 6000 rpm.
G

Disturbed_Dave
24-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Not sure what exactly was changed, as my mechanic did it when he had the bike in for a tune/service.

It's only happening at high speeds, not high revs... ive tried different circumstances (high revs, low speed/low revs, high speed) etc, and no matter what I do, it only seems to start bogging down (feels like i'm running out of fuel), at high speeds, especially on a windy day.

My mech will have his dyno up and running in 2 weeks, so we'll slap her on that and see where its losing power.

What I realised on the day that i picked it up from him, is that at 110km/h it started feeling a bit sluggish, but felt so much better up until that point. But nowadays, whether its due to the wind we've been getting, its bogging down at much earlier speeds (80km/h, etc)

I think a bit of guesswork went into the last rejet, so might have to wait for the dyno to show what needs to be done.

JackTar
24-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Ask Ben as well he is into the Kwakas

BANDITROD
24-08-2009, 06:50 PM
to me it sounds like the wind is the issue i had the same prob with my bandit after fitting the pods i noticed that in high winds it would bog down realy bad and i was told that it was the wind gusts making my carbs flutter if that makes any sense cos any other time it was fine

Disturbed_Dave
24-08-2009, 07:57 PM
it would explain most of it, yeah... although its not just gusts, its high wind in general. I'm guessing there was no way of fixing yours?