PDA

View Full Version : Testing the Limits of Yourself & Your Bike

Catherine010
12-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi,

My name is Catherine and I'm currently looking for people to participate in my research project. This project is part of my Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Psychology degree at Deakin University.

The project follows up a study conducted in 2008, which found that people high in psychological need for control (people who like a lot of control over their lives - if you like, ‘control freaks’!) were generally safer riders. However, we unexpectedly also found that these riders reported more performance of stunts (wheelies and wheel spins).

This study therefore aims to further explore the relationship between safety and stunting. Are those high in need for control seeking to test the limits of themselves and their bikes? Can stunting help you become a safer rider?

We are therefore looking for licenced on-road motorcycle riders, who have ridden within the last 24 months, to complete the confidential questionnaire that makes up this project.

If you're interested in participating, or just want to find out more, then please follow the link below:

http://www.deakin.edu.au/psychology/research/motorcyclingstudy

suxukifreak
12-08-2009, 05:52 AM
If stunters are safer riders, why do they need crash cages and body armour??? ;)

latheboy
12-08-2009, 06:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by suxukifreak

If stunters are safer riders, why do they need crash cages and body armour??? ;)

They are for the stunters who also have A.D.D ...
"Watch this ill do a rad 720 bunny hoop double helix slide rail stoppie" then half way though change their mind and bugger up the transfer into the gnarly goose neck front side table stop.:D

Fight_fan
12-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Done & Done...
Good luck with it!

Gsxar
12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Was this the study that PAID MALE motorcyclist to take part? But didnt factor in female riders at all?

latheboy
12-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Get over it Jo, Boys are big and strong like king kong, girls are weak chuck em in the creek... Thats why guys got paid

Shadowzone
12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Done.

HOS
12-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Catherine010 :)

I find your initial premise that bikers who stunt are "high in psychological need for control" a little wide of the mark.

People who write about bikers who do`nt ride themselves, just do`nt get it at all. Tbh there is some absolute rubbish written about us especailly by the authorities/ establishment.

We ride bikes like these and live very close to death, maiming or serious inujury through accidents that come oh so easily.

It is only by living on the edge of death that we understand what life really means. Someone elses saying but suitably makes the point.

Secondly we ride these insanely powerful bikes for the thrill of it !
Majority of us are addrenalin junkies on a very large scale !!!
We relish it and get a huge buzz out of giving it a large handful in total disrespect for the law.

Anti establishment bikers.
The one finger salute is the Streetfighter trademark incase ya didnt know ?

And yet we die all too easily for our passion with two wheels.

Controlling a bike well is about not dying more than anything else.

HOS [8D]

papa smurf
12-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Well said HOS.
If ya have to ask, you'll never understand.;)

Tony Nitrous
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
All the questions in the world won't tell you the
answers that 10 minutes on a 160+hp bike will.

Gsxar
12-08-2009, 10:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Get over it Jo, Boys are big and strong like king kong, girls are weak chuck em in the creek... Thats why guys got paid
Your so getting a biatch slap - hope those kidneys r ready :D

Well its pretty insulting to be rang up by a NON riding female - and be told " she was given my name as a Motorcycle Trainer, do I know any guys who wanna come to a study about bikes & be paid to do it - we dont need females because they know nothing about riding"
Soooooooo shoot me for feeling like it was another waste of money that wont actually benefit riding, roads or our safety.

Tony Nitrous
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Jo, Look and learn......;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4&feature=related

or better still......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU

Gsxar
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Tops clips
Ohhh I neva new ;) Beta give all my bikes away - I'm off down the shop to buy some knitting needles [:0] and some fluffy slippers [:X]

livewire
12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree with the 'if ya hafta ask, ya wouldn't understand' deal.
I work on the theory all cage drivers are trying to kill me.
Once you've got that covered, ya can do what ya like, which generally involves mono's, skids, acceleration and speed, cos it's fun.
Control freak? I don't fkn think so.

papa smurf
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Of course you're a control freak Graeme.
For example, would you get on the back of my bike while i did those things?
I freely admit to being a control freak 'cos i sure as shit wouldn't get on the back of yours while you were doing it.:D;)

livewire
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
lol, and I thought I was such a trustworthy guy.
Spewin!

ps, there's that motormouse/autocat stuff again, haha.

livewire
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1250106393.jpg

My favourite eggcup:)

HOS
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Read the questionair and its heavily weighted to obtain a certain preconcieved result..

I don`t like shit that is`nt fair or balanced or might be used in BULLSHIT legsilation against us ?

The answers do`nt have a "Streetfighter" as a type of bike so why you asking us ! Do`nt you know what a streetfighter is ? :D

Theres no section for turbo`s or blown bikes :(

GPX250 ?? WTFs that !!!! [xx(]

No section for how much attention to detail we pay not only to our bike builds generally but to safety mods to our high power bikes like muchos more powerful brakes ! Careful choice or ride heights and stearing geometry, the location/strength and suitability of fabricated parts, routing of cables and controls.

How much engineering and practical expertese you need to make a bike that wo`nt kill ya ?

All that kind of shit.... but non bikers do`nt know that shit, they just want to portray us as badass hooligans and killers on two wheels.

Theres no section for how many fines and points we have had for speeding like bastads or hooning around ?

Theres no section on how many times we`ve been smacked off, maimed or killed by car drivers or other road users ?

Theres no section on how car drivers lie their tits off when they hit a biker.

Oooniversity research ?.... my arse !! [}:)]

My blown Busa will have no rear tyre left when I`ve been out for a 1/2 days riding. It will kick you through 200mph like you couldnt breath !
Its large, weighs a ton and would make most people pap their pants when I blipped the throttle with the bike on its sidestand.

People think they understand ?

Get one ! Ride it ! ;)

Sorry gents :(......... I`m on the rag this week ...... going back in the shed now...... mutter..... got some shitty old 2 stroke engine to smack with a heavy hammer for a few hours....

HOS
12-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I apologise about my behavior :(

I`m not allowed out of the shed, she left the door open accidentally
and I slipped out and posted.... I`ve been living on thin pizzas slipped under the locked shed door since yesterday... I`m a bit chewy :([V]

timbo
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
That ok Hos maybe you need to take the Busa for a run come home grab the biggest hammer you can find and give that smoker what it deserves and have a beer or two. then your life will be complete.
but make sure you do it with a smile

livewire
12-08-2009, 10:55 PM
"If you have`nt the strength to impose your own terms on life, you must accept the terms it offers you."
Apparently that makes you a 'control freak'?
And therefore a hoon.
Statisticly, of course.

J7-11
13-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Done

Azrael
13-08-2009, 02:05 PM
There are only two kinds of people, people who can wheelie, and people who wish they could wheelie..

Cruisecontrol
13-08-2009, 03:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Azrael

There are only two kinds of people, people who can wheelie, and people who wish they could wheelie..

Being in the latter I have to begrudgingly agree.

Jay_G
13-08-2009, 04:53 PM
^^me too... doesn't hurt to have a go though

Shadowzone
13-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Everyone can wheelie with enough practice. Stand ups on the other hand are a whole different matter...

papa smurf
13-08-2009, 06:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

quote:Originally posted by Azrael

Being in the latter I have to begrudgingly agree.

Holy shit, now i'm agreeing with Cruisecontrol.[:0]
What is the world coming to.[:I]

Gixxer_rat85
13-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Done. And HOS, I agree...didn`t stop me though. Just think...a preconceived idea only holds more water if we don`t do our bit to poke holes in it. Evil will only triumph if good men do nothing....or some shit like that. Cheers

-Dex-
13-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Done, good luck with it.

HOS
14-08-2009, 03:36 AM
You know, it seems that women are the ones hung up about control shit ? Blokes just get on with the job :)

If you want to get obsessed with control look at what the global government is doing ? Wanna talk control relative to our freedom and the freedom of our children and grandchildren pissing down the gutter like blood ???

As for me being in control of my Busa.... well some days I ride like a total gimp and should leave the bike at home. Hey we all have days like that ? [:p]:D

Its only by aspiring to ride the fugger properly never mind stunting that we acquire the skils to stay alive on the road, if your lucky.

Not everything needs to be quantified or can be quantified.
There a hundred thousand reasons why people ride bikes and they vary every nano second.

Bikes are about PASSION !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bigger passion than anyone who doesnt ride will ever understand !!
Why do we ride bikes to be killed and maimed like we so often do??

You gotta ride to understand.
I dont do this to look good or impress my neighbours.
I do`nt do this because I am a road statistic or a "motorcyclist"
I dont do this to "belong".
I dont do this for other people.
I dont do this to be fashionable.
I have never had a MLC.

I do this to be F R E E !
Bieks are the only feeling of freedom left aavilable to us and that feeling of freedom is what its about. All the PC, nit pickers, safety babies and whiners wanna take my freedom away from me in this shitpile world ? Then you`ll feel my passion.

Stats are just meaningless shit.
People arent numbers..... now where this taking me.... ;):):)

timbo
14-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Here here

Gixxer_rat85
14-08-2009, 11:35 AM
+1 HOS! Fuck, where to start? I regularly do stoopid shit when I ride, but this is ALWAYS with full knowledge and acceptance of the consequences. To me this is not from the need to be `in control`, but more the thrill of having diminished control. It`s why people pay good money to watch stunters, or any form of motorsport really. It`s all risk! Some elements of the risk can be controlled, but in the end you can`t allow for all the variables all the time. Isn`t that why we all ride in the first place? With all the `dangerous` shit I`ve done, it`s strange that the only times I`ve heard my helmet hit the road and watched my bike skate down the road till it hit something, have been times when I was riding `safely`.
Bikers aren`t control freaks at all, they would just rather live than exist in fear.

HOS
14-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I read a news article last year on the main BBC news about a Ooniversity Scientific study into how excessive coffee drinking causes hallucinations like ghosts and ufo`s.

Yeah ? [:0]

I have over developed bullshit sensing glands so looked further into what is being presented as "scientific research".

Turns out this "scientific research" was done by interviewing [u]200 Ooniversity students</u> at Hull Ooniversity where the scientific research was undertaken.

So that`ll be fucking scientific then !!!!!!
200 odd young university students might want to consider it would be more like the massive amount of drugs and alcohol they use in Uni`s in England might be a more scientific factor !!!

Serious "Scientific Research" my large hairy arse !!! :D

Gixxer_rat85
14-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Agreed. Hallucinations, visual and aural (thats ears, not mouths you sick freaks), are more often than not caused by sleep deprivation. This can be a result of excessive caffeine as well as drug use. Uni students drinking caffeine and taking drugs? Never! I support their findings as gospel! lol
There are lies, then damned lies, and then statistics! Fuck studies, results are all that matter!
CLUTCH IT UP!

The crow
15-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Anyone who doesn't like or agree with an opinion or lifestyle can go and find some statistic that can make it look in their favour and have their tiny little mind feel justified. Statistics are for small ppl in little dark rooms locked off from the real world that are used to justify their exsistince. I'm sure that if someone here went out and did a study with actual stunt riders and a bunch of bikies \ bikers then the opinions would show the fun and exciteing side of things along with the amount of care and compassion we have in our chosen " wild side ". I will agreee that there are some dick heads out there but the majority of us understand our limits and are in it for the wind in the face and adrenilin rush of felling alive.

StuNVA
15-08-2009, 03:11 PM
It's all a perspective thing I reckon. It's all in the individuals definition of "control" or "danger". What one person deems dangerous another may have done it a million times and considers it of minimal danger. It's like stress, I always say stress is only relevant to the person experiencing the stress, who's to say that what stresses someone out will stress everyone out, it's bullshit. I can ride all day at 160 but there are many that cant drive all day at 100, laws that punish the capable suck but generally work, but dont get me started on subjective policing.

makka
24-08-2009, 11:40 PM
if ya dont ride, dont ask!!

stretchy
30-08-2009, 05:57 PM
thats a nice egg cup

Hagarr
30-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Hos sums it up pretty much for me!!