PDA

View Full Version : Diode or relay

wackyrider
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Have a set of twin spots for my bike. They each have 1 filament. Want to wire up 1 light on LOW BEAM and 2 lights on HIGH BEAM.

Was thinking of getting a diode to connect between the low and high beam connecter?

Went to JAYCAR, but all they said was to go on their site, and i don't know what kind of diode to look for.

Any one got a clue?

grindella
05-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I believe you would be best off using a relay. Adding another Highbeam may overload your harness and most of all switch gear.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249543796.jpg

grindella
05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
nearly forgot you can get SPDT relays might be best using one of these reduce components. If you cant find one then 2 will do the trick.

wackyrider
05-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Cheers mate. Besides that it is for a 12V system, is there anything else i have to tell them? Amps?

Found this on the JAYCAR site. Would this be good?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SY4072&keywords=spdt+relay&form=KEYWORD

grindella
06-08-2009, 12:10 AM
amps should be be ok need 12 volt head light relay/s.

grindella
06-08-2009, 12:31 AM
the jacar one is not suitable Check out the one on the top left of this web page. You would have seen these before pretty common.http://www.traxide.com.au/Relay_Info.html. There are also detailed diagrams. Go to you local auto electrician he is sure to have one.

DaveK5
06-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Hey grindella...that circuit is not going to work without a diode..put a diode in the parallel feed to the high beam lamp to stop it back feeding.
What size diode?.....P=VI...kids stuff.

The other way to do it is to use the NC of the relay to break the circuit and thus stopping back feed.

grindella
06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
hey dave,
if the earths on your lights are ok then a diode should not be needed.

grindella
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
opps left of the earths on my headlights (in the diagram). Just pretend they are there, along with the lamp filiments. No diode is needed as the relays break the circuit and hence no "backfeed".

grindella
06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
shit wrong again, my lights have their earths, just no filiments. If it was needed I could build a harness and relays but, would have to know the type of fitting on the lights to be used, and measurements from headlights to where the unit is to be placed. Its a simple process, nice and neat and works.

wackyrider
06-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Cheers for the info. Just need to figure out what to ask for

grindella
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
go to auto electrician ask for single pole double throw (SPDT) lighting relay. See what is on offer. Hope you have success. If not get back to me and Ill find part numbers etc.

wackyrider
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
tried an auto elec. But the guy wants to know what brand and a part number.
All I want is a lighting relay, is that too much to ask for.[xx(][xx(]

grindella
07-08-2009, 10:13 PM
buy two [u] hella 3078</u>relays. These have 4 numbered pins on the bottom hook them up according to the diagram and all will be ok. Dont forget to put a fuse in the power line from the battery.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249691842.jpg

grindella
07-08-2009, 10:18 PM
do know what happened the number did not transfer on the diagram so here they are. 30 is battery positive, 87 is the light, 86 is from the high/low beam switch, 85 is the earth. Couple all your eaths togeter and connect them to the frame or alteratively run them back to battery negative.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249651738.jpg

grindella
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
ask auto electrician for [u]two HELLA 3078</u>, these are so common its not funny. very few cars do not use them, shit i got a few on my 45 year old dato.

wackyrider
07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
cheers for all your help mate

08-08-2009, 06:23 PM
G'day Grindella,

Not so sure about the three wires going into the upper headlight in your drawing. I understood that he's got single filament inserts. Where does the third wire connect?

Good headscratcher.

Nudie
08-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Even with 2 relays that is still gunna light up both lights on high and low if both bulbs are single filament.

08-08-2009, 07:38 PM
If I could draw and post a wiring diagram, I would.

I believe that you can make Grindella's diagram work if you do the following:
1 Run one wire from the 87 terminal on the HIGH BEAM relay to the UPPER light.
2 Run one wire from the 87 terminal on the LOW BEAM relay to the LOWER light.
3 Bridge the two wires (from the 87 terminals) with wire and a PX6007 ssr diode (Jaycar, cat no: ZR-1024).

A diode is basically a one-way valve for electricity. Current can flow in one direction through the diode but not in the reverse direction. The band on the body of the diode needs to be closer to the low beam end of the bridge wire.

This will allow power to flow from the LOW BEAM relay to the low beam light but the diode will prevent voltage from flowing to the high beam light via the bridge. When the HIGH BEAM relay is activated, power will be able to flow to both lights via the bridge and diode.

I hope this helps.

grindella
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
there is no need to bridge relays together and add diodes. The diagram and advice I have given works like a charm, ang "bridging" etc will just fuck it up. I have used this setup oh slabies to increase headlight wattage up to 150w high beams. You can not increase high beam wattage and protect wiring and switch gear any other way.
the way this systemm works is simple, turn lights on select low beam- low beam relay operates and low beam comes on, select high beam high beam relay operates, high beams comes on and low beam relay opens low beam goes off. It is all so simple and works well. Why thow unessesary shit like dioed in and bridginging teminals on opposing relay. KEEP IT SIMPLE&lt; FOLLOW DIAGRAM AND INSTRUCTIONS IT WORKS&gt;

grindella
08-08-2009, 11:37 PM
ok new diagram, this one considers single filiment bulbs (still no diodes needed). These realys are 30 amp max (power = volt X amps[I]). Maximum wattage of lights equals 30 amps times 12 volts = 360 watts or two 160 watt lights. High wattages are restricted by alternator output, check first. I know by experience and years of study that this works. I'll leave it with the septics now those that think a diode is needed because of the power equation, P=VI, and those that can't draw a diagram. A diode may be needed only if one light is used for low and high beam, seems sense less where there are bulbs out there that do the same. it.

grindella
08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
3 senareos are covered
a/ 3 lights, 2 high, 1 low, all single filimentshttp://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249814539.jpg

b/ 2 lights, 2 high, 1 low, all single filiments (with diode)http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249810533.jpg

c/ 2 lights, 2 high, 1 low, one high/low filiment and one singlehttp://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249831609.jpg

grindella
09-08-2009, 09:36 AM
looking at the light you guys use It seems to me you don't do much night riding and the lights are just to conform to the law. Therefore 100 watt single filiment bulbs would be ample. s I have provide my last diagram using 2 single filiment lights and a 20 amp diode hooked into the standard light fitting. I do not recommend this without relays so best of luck.

grindella
09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Diagram two single filiment 100 watt lights with 20 amp diodehttp://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249830000.jpg

megareg
09-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Looking at the last diagram, the low beam can stay on whenever the lights are on, on my Kat there is a lights on switch, don't know about the modern stuff, but it seems like the lights are on all the time, i.e. no off switch, anyway, the low beam can be on all the time and you just need to switch the high beam, no need for the diode there.
Use relays and fuses, it saves your switches.

09-08-2009, 11:24 AM
G'day Grindella,

Thank you for drawing the diagram I was describing. ("b/ 2 lights, 2 high, 1 low, all single filiments (with diode)")

Interesting that you rubbish my suggestions and then draw exactly what I wrote.

I'll have to learn how to transfer hand-drawn wiring diagrams into a digitised format. Or how to draw them digitally on-screen. Think I'll make that a priority.

Thanks again.

Have fun,
Mick

grindella
09-08-2009, 11:30 PM
the request was for 2 lights on at high beam and 1 at low, with single filiment bulbs. the diagram gives just that, the lighgts off and on switch if the bike has one is before high low beam switch, the diagrams deal with the wires coming from hig low beam switch. Personally, I see no sense in single filiment bulbs and prefer dual filiment ones (high/low beam), the brighter the better hence the use of relays to protect the switchgear firstlty and wiring secondly.

grindella
09-08-2009, 11:35 PM
sorry mick, did not read what you wrote properly, long day. Try drawing diagrams in paint program works well.

10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
No worries mate.

Too busy hand-drawing wiring diagrams for tech!

Will get to the modern version one day.