PDA

View Full Version : GSXR oil pressure

Rocket
12-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Gidday.
Can anyone tell me what oil pressure the oil boiler GSXR's run at ?
With the wiring job on my dash being a little bit suss, it's the neutral light that goes out when i start the engine :(

I pulled out one of the bolts in the side of the cylinder head (right rear) and hooked a guage up from my mates HT ute and it looked to be reading about 5 psi up there.
I'm not sure if that's the best spot to measure oil pressure though.
I've already used the gallery under the timing cover for turbo oil feed so couldn't use that.

Cheers

ozkat
12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Im pretty sure it 80psi.

Rocket
12-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I thought it was supposed to be pretty high too until the engine warmed and then it dropped off.
Which is why I've parked it up till I know more.
I'm hoping that at the top of the head, the oil pressure is much lower as the oil has already been distributed around the donk.
Otherwise, i'm in trouble.

crazymofo
12-11-2006, 08:39 PM
im fairly certain that the gixxers had a high pressure/low volume for the topend and low pressure/high volume for the bottom end... or it could be vice versa, either way they do have a hi/low oil system, but i'll let the gixxer nuts tell you more and confirm,

shayne was telling me theres a full pressure point you can pick oil from under the small engine cover on the throttle side of the bike, its behind a allen bolt. ozkat can you confirm?

cheers.joe.

Rocket
12-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Joe, if that's the one below the timing cover, I've got an oil feed line running from it.

I would have thought the highest oil pressure would have been on the crank bearings as they have the most load. So the bottom end would have the high pressure.

ozkat
12-11-2006, 08:54 PM
yeah thats right joe, going by rockets pics he has the oil feed to the turbo spot on. the high/low oil pressure is pretty well right as well, that why topend oils are common on hi performance oilcooled motors, due to a lack of oil to the cams. im not 100% sure whether its hi pressure/low volume or hi volume/ low pressure to the head tho.

Booster
12-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Can you put the pressure gauge where the switch is just to check the pressure.?
There's a tidy Bandit with similar turbo system here http://www.turbo-bike.com/Suzuki.html
Brett G sent me some pics of your bike last week ! knew whoes it was as soon as i saw them, ;)

Rocket
12-11-2006, 10:30 PM
That turbo and manifold looks exactly the same as mine on that Bandit.

I'll have a look at the pressure switch and see.
Gotta find it first :(

Brett G ?

12-11-2006, 11:42 PM
oil pressure at 60 degrees C :43-85 psi measured at the large allen bolt below the signal generator.If the pressure is high,the relief valve/regulator is stuck closed.If pressure is to low the relief valve /regulator is stuck open,or the oil pump is faulty,or there is engine damage such as bearing oil clearances.Let me know if ya want a full print out on testing oil pressures,although im not sure how a turbo setup will affect these figures.

Rocket
13-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks Davo, that would be great.
By "signal generator", I assume you mean the one below the timing cover on the right hand side? The large allen bolt has been replaced by an oil feed.
But I don't think the turbo will mind too much if I disconnect the oil line and run it for a minute at idle or just above.
The guts of it is that I won't be riding this thing until I find out whether it's got oil pressure or not.
The motor has just been completely rebuilt (by a very experienced engine guy) so I reckon it's okay, i just want to know for sure.
Will let youse know how I go.
Thanks for the help.

Booster
13-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Testing at idle will give low readings,and don't test without oil to the turbo , if you rev the bike to get pressure the turbo could be doing 20 -40,000 rpm, the turbo itself won't use much oil nor loose much pressure, last one i checked used 3/4 litre/min .

Brett with the turbo blade was from your way now N Qld,

latheboy
13-11-2006, 07:20 AM
no .. bad .. dont disconnect the turbo ... the best way to do that would be to put a T-piece in the turbo line at least that way you can still get oil pressure at the snail and the gauge .. when you finnish put a grub screw in the T-piece and you can use it any time you want then ... or better yet run the gauge from the same point then you will always know that the snail is getting oil ..

Rocket
13-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Oookay, disconnecting turbo is bad.
That would be the blade in Rapid then Booster ?
One of the local perth boys was talking about it.

Booster
13-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Thats him , thought he said he knew you?? maybe knew of you.

Rocket
13-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Nah mate, only know of him through someone else.

Any way, good news, i spoke to the engine guy and he said by the time the oil gets to the top of the donk it will have lost most of it's pressure so he's not concerned.
He also said the low pressure side is the two hoses that run up the back of the barrels and supply cooling oil the the combustion chamber crowns.
So he showed where the oil pressure switch is located and I can get a gauge in there and test it. But first, i might check my theory about the oil sender being hooked to the neutral light.