PDA

View Full Version : Eh Booster - World Record Holder

chopaweeza
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
As some of you know . Our very own BOOSTER is over at Bonneville Salt Flats this year for Speedweek (Aug 7-14) and BUB's Motorcycle Only Land Speed Racing(Aug31 - Sept6) . With a little luck the Gods Of Speed will smile on him and he'll crack it . With a large crowd of Aussies & Kiwis heading over for both events this year it will be an awesome experience . Will be over there with my partner Silvy in less than three weeks for a little road trip holiday before BUB's and we are looking forward to watching the fastest Men & Women on two & three wheels on the planet race. Best of luck to all our people too and as I've seen pictures of some of the awesome bikes that will be there I know it will be the trip of a lifetime.

Go Booster Go

Tony OW31
02-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, good luck to him, even though it's mostly hard work and dedication that's got him there, I still think you need a bit of luck. Something I would love too go and see myself someday.

timbo
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Good luck Greg we need more red caps over here

Iceman
02-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Give'm hell Greg

BANDITROD
02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
fuck yeah go you good thing and for jacktar i suggest a few more pics of that chick he was drooling over

latheboy
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Dont stop till you have a red cap for each day of the week Greg.....
Given hell

Large
02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Don't worry Greg, I'll piss on your lemon tree while you're gone

Large
02-08-2009, 07:23 PM
ooops.

Good luck and go for it mate[8D]

Gsxar
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Good Luck Booster you will be in our hearts & thoughts. We are already way proud off you and what you have achieved. Will be hanging out for updates on how your going :D and of course awaiting your return so we can catch up ;)
Maybe we should put together an ASF support team for next year[:p]

rock hard
02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
GO BOOSTER.win loose or draw your a CHAMPION.....

80s freak
03-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Keep it on the stop, good luck!

gibbo
03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Good luck to you mate, bring home a bag full of hats!

rock hard
03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Booster,just a thought.when you return is it possible to give an insight into bonneville from your prospective.lets face it we all have been infected by the need for speed otherwise we wouldnt be streetfighters.we have all seen/read about the salt and the challenge,but i would love to know what the fuck its like screaming across the salt folowing that line,and that tremendous force of the wind.things like preparation,fitness,whats involved in shipping your self and your gear.anyway all the best mate,most of all be safe..

Lewis Moto
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
official timing
http://www.scta-bni.org/index.html

chopaweeza
04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately the Aussie Dry Lakes Racing Association forum doesn't like to accept new members . I've been signed on there for 2 months , have sent numerous emails and they have yet to activate my member account. Because I do have a short list of questions and require some clarification on some things before I post off my $100 membership to join it's a bit of a bugger . I have spoken to a few other people with the same problem and it is annoying. Hopefully they will pull their finger out and open up forum membership sometime in the near future and take advantage of all the new blood thats keen on giving the salt a go.

livewire
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
White knuckles, big grin, pegged.
Go, dude.

Jockney Rebel
05-08-2009, 06:13 PM
..go that way------> real fast mate ..good luck ..

livewire
12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Greg just run 221.5mph on a 218 record.
Still to back it up, but they get to do that on the long course. This run was only on the 3 miler.
WAY TO GO!
Only (!) on 20 psi at the moment as well. 13,000 rpm. Faaarrrrk.

latheboy
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Thats great news.... Greg is a dead set legend

chopaweeza
12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Excellent news . I reckon he'll nail it and then at BUB's at the end of the month nail it even further. I fly out at the end of next week and am anxious to see it run for myself.

Watto
12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
wooohooo go Greg!!!! :D:D

livewire
13-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Spewin, Greg's alky bike ate an exhaust valve and they didn't get to make a return run.
Jim, their local mate, set a naked record at 191 mph on last years bike.
Ev set a Vmax record at 165, has done a 167, and is looking at backing that up.
Kim is ready to chase a faired 160 mph record.
Busy, busy, busy.
Keep at it guys, good luck!

rock hard
13-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks livewire, give it heaps,pass on our regards to the crew...morry

livewire
14-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately Greg's alky bike torched the head around exh. valve seats and is parked.
Jim run 195 naked on last years bike.
Kim has done a 208(?) on a 160 record.
as an aside, Richard somebloke done 262.5 on a busa, 17 psi at 70 % throttle, fastast sit on bike ever. That's crackin!

latheboy
14-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Not good for Greg, i'm sure he's got some up his sleave.

Gixxer_rat85
14-08-2009, 02:35 PM
GO! do your checks, then wring its neck! Stay safe Booster.

Azrael
14-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Best of luck to booster and also to Steve running the cbr600 turbo over there, bring it home safe!

livewire
15-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Hear, hear ( or is it here, here?)
Just got a text from Ev, she's set a SCTA /BNI 2 way record @ 165.377 mph, with a top of 168.
That's one fast Vmax
I'll post others as I find out.
Spose best thing is everyone safe and get to do it again.
Look out BUBS in 2 weeks!

Iceman
15-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Good work with the updates G. Keep it up.

chopaweeza
15-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Excellent news on some fronts at least. We fly out this Friday and in 2 weeks are on the salt at Bonneville. Living the dream people. Living the dream .

rock hard
15-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Go and have a ball wayne.can you look up steve burns they will have a turbo cbr600 from W.A. say hi from the WASF crew..

chopaweeza
19-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Will do mate. Fly out on Friday morning . The word from Team Terry Prince Vincent is "If the gods of speed permit then this will be Terry's year" . This bike has been owned by Terry longer than most of the ASF membership have been alive so we all really want this to end with a record . Been a very busy week for all the wrong reasons . Sunday , Silvana's work car , a Mazda 2 , got sideswiped while parked out the front of her house by an elderly neighbour during a Senior Moment . Car was heavily damaged down the right side but still drivable.

Monday . As my new VX Wagon is a lemon with shitloads of faults Silvana loaned me her car this afternoon . A late model Toyota Prado Land Cruiser . So that I could get about on while we fault find my VX and so that I could get over to her place without getting a train to go together to the airport without juggling cars. A kind act and the first time she has loaned it to me. At 1820 local time I heard a load BANG from the front of my house . I bolted out front and there was a new Nissan X-Trail parked at an odd angle across the front of Silvana's SUV . The driver was a 70 year old bloke , stank of wine and refused to go to hospital as they immediately blood test for booze. The back of the Prado is a write off as is the front. The 1 month old rear axle assembly that was replaced last month as a product recall that took 3 years to get , it had 2 full tanks of petrol and had just had an $800 major dealer service . The right side is fucked . The axle is bent like a banana and the body is twisted . But because the cops took more than 2 hours to respond they were not allowed to breathalise him as too much time had elapsed . Add to that the insurer only resently knocked $3k off the replacement cost of the car so it is under insured .

The good in all this is . Her Prado was up for sale and as it's a write off she'll be paid out in full as she is not the at fault party . Silvana had lost her expensive camera on Sunday , we couldn't find it after searching for 3 hours and I found it on the 5th time I went over the Prado looking for items to remove wedged up under the back seat so thats a decent chunk of change we saved . Fat Tony wanted me to get a packet of smokes for helping me track down the fault with the cooling electrics on my car . The tow truck driver that was taking away the old bastards SUV needed someone to help steer it on and as I got it I saw an unopened pack of smokes that would just be pinched by the guys in the insurance yard anyway so thats Fat Tony fixed . The jack is missing on my new car , it's a Holden and it now has a Toyota jack , floor mats and seat covers .... One of the Xtrails headlights and one off the Prado came loose and were in good shape so they'll Ebay when I get back.

Now , they say these things come in three's - After we land in LA we are picking up a new Mustang Convertible . Uncle Chopa , driving a sports car in LA on the wrong side of the road - What can possibly go wrong ..... But just in case I made sure it's fully insured ......

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/chopaweeza/PradoCrash004.jpg

Gix11
19-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Fuck mate, what a week! Have fun in the States and send photos and stories as promised.
Cheers Wayne.

livewire
19-08-2009, 11:24 AM
As fucked as it sounds, you're actually better off with him not bein breathtested, as he is still now insured.

livewire
19-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Just heard from Greg/ Mick.
Bike all go, just finishing shimming valves.
Had lucky escape, had burnt half way through a valve stem as well. Woulda been ugly at 13,500 rpm.
Mad bastards have also got hold of some 5% nitro alky as well, reckon either 240 mph or Ground Zero!
This is gunna be good.
The 'Richard somebloke' refered to earlier is the Kiwi bloke they went over with. 262.5 mph, neat trick,I'm still shaking my head.

Booster
20-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement,
Bit of background, were running 2 bikes with three riders at Speedweek,
The Aussie bike burnt the exhaust valve and head running very rich,. so spending some time figuring how to avoid it on the rebuilt motor the new fuel is supposed to be safer on parts .. go figure , i always thought nitro was nasty stuff...if thats what it is, VPfuels M5 if anyone is curious..can't get a straight answer exactly whats in it ???
Jim Higgins from Cal is one rider, he opens his house,workshop and life to us for the duration and a great guy to have on the team, he ran a 191 mph record bumped it from 190 on the bike from last year naked..
Kim Krebs from Vic then ran the bike faired on a 166 mph record and bumped it to 207mph, making her the first lady from Aus to go over 200mph on a bike
I then had only time for 2 runs on the bike reconfigured naked , realy wanted 200mph naked , first run 199.09...close, have to do better second run.... but we turned the boost up and during the run hit overboost cut, so i had to reach down and turn down the controller , then realy try hard to get what speed i could as i was close to the measured mile by then, 188 mph resulted for a 193 record.... nearly put my arm out of its socket when i reached down, sort of forgot just how fast i was going, and colud only get it forward again by sliding it up along my body.
Mick is going to ride at Bubs too, he has been putting in some long hours on the bike for little reward and was previously hesitant about riding on he salt due to previous injurys and seating position but we have that sorted by moving the pegs and keen to see how he goes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/maj750/GEDC0119.jpg

Booster
20-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Wayne my local number over here is 925 405 2937
see you at Bubs

chopaweeza
20-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Cool Mate . Will fly out tomorrow morning and be on the road in LA in 47 hours or so from now . Will try to post up a number when we grab a local Pre-paid SIM card . As we will be swapping back & forth from Silvy's Aussie to US Sim card on the phone we can still be gotten on 61-418-207272 . See you on the salt in about 11 days mate and me in the pits you'll be right .

rock hard
20-08-2009, 08:59 AM
thats fuckin awesome lads...

Tony OW31
20-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Living the dream, what else can you say?

chopaweeza
20-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Couldn't have said it better Tony . I'm just doing some last minute stuff here before the house sitter rocks over . This time tomorrow I'll be in the air and as I haven't been back to the USA in 15 or so years I'm curious as to how the place has changed . Can't help but count down the hours and minutes before we head off. I remember as a 10 year old in the kids home . Someone found a dog eared copy of Easyriders Magazine and in it there was a 4 page article on a Shovelhead powered Streamliner on the Salt in some magical far away country called Bonneville . It was a place were men strapped themselves into two wheeled rocketships and wrote their names in history . I swiped those 4 pages and carried them with me til they fell apart but I never lost the dream that one day I'd go there. Early this year I met Silvy and in her I found a woman that I could share my dream with & that really wanted to go too. This trip for me is 30 years of dreaming , 30 years of coming close but not quite getting there and now I'm just 20 hours off boarding a plane to take me there. I've been fortunate enough that thanks to my former job I was able to travel the world , see wonders & horrors few could barely imagine and see places that have made some powerful memories . But , this is my ultimate dream , my childhood fantasy and this shits all over what came before . In just over a week I finally get to live my dream of walking on that most sacred ground , I do it with a woman that means the world to me and as a team member of a man I've admired & respected for over 20 years . Every aspect of this trip for me is one awesome thing after another and I will never again experience another close to it again.

So Tony , Living The Dream - Fuck Yeh

Wayne Johnson
Proud member of Team Terry Prince Vincent

KATO ZX7
20-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Fly my pretty.........

best of luck Wayne.

Jockney Rebel
21-08-2009, 03:11 AM
good luck you lot well be rooting ???for ya..seriuosly tho wayne i envy you mate ...booster i envy you more ..lol..give it some wellie.and come back in one piece

timbo
21-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Good luck Wayne. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime

Booster
21-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Well the Aussie bike is ready to run again,took a while to get the head machined for the o rings etc, fired it up today, it seems to like the new fuel, had to turn the idle screw out a bit to bring it back to a reasonable level, and it started cold first time, unheard of with methanol, used to give it a dose of aerostart to get things happening.
Tomorrow holidays start, going on tour and will end up at Bonneville for the Bubs event on the 27th

chopaweeza
22-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Am in the USA at a hotel just outside Las Vegas at Baker . It's 5pm , Friday here , bloody hot and we haven't slept properly in a couple of days so sleep isn't too far off. Will text my new USA number Greg as I left the phone in the room . Besides being exhausted we have had a ball with our black late model Mustang rental. The rental firm are a pack of pricks but otherwise it's been a dream run today . Have taken lots of piccys so far and when I get back will edit them down. Will be on the salt in just over a week and am so looking forward to it as well. Will be passing on those words of support to the Aussies & Kiwi's racing this year. It's all the trip of a lifetime and I'm loving it. Keep it real and see you pack of louts when i get back.

Uncle Chopa

22-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Have fun.

BASTARDS!!!!

papa smurf
22-08-2009, 10:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by playswithnitro

Have fun.

BASTARDS!!!!

X 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and stay safe.
Rip it up the yanks boys & girls.[8D][8D][8D]

chopaweeza
24-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Here's my number but it's fucking playing up so try text messaging if need be.

Choppa - 760 596 8102

livewire
31-08-2009, 07:39 AM
News to hand from our American bureau indicates the boys are kickin ass.
Greg's taken a FIM record, as has Jim. Thats WORLD RECORDS!
Greg done his at 54% throttle. Kim's havin a crack at it now, and then they start gearing/ steppin it up.
Lookin for records, hats (200+ mph) and smiles all round.
GO YOU GOOD THINGS!

BANDITROD
31-08-2009, 05:55 PM
fuck yeah go you good things thats awsome to hear

Gsxar
31-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Wooohoooooo Well done guys, words just dont seem enuff to say to people who go THAT FAST!!!!

GO KIM :) :D;):D;):D:D

Watto
31-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Cmon Aussie Cmon!!!!!!

Onya Greg and Kim

Chopa - sounds like you are having a ball

Iceman
31-08-2009, 07:37 PM
That's great news. Keep fly'n that flag high guys (and girl)

JackTar
31-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Fucking awesome!

-Dex-
31-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Outstanding! Congrats guys.

Jockney Rebel
31-08-2009, 10:43 PM
go on greg give the bollox mate well done ..and mucho congrats and respect to the rest of you guys [and girl]

timbo
31-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Good work boy & girls

Fight_fan
01-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Fuck yeah! Go u good things!!!

chopaweeza
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
The salt has been pretty damn slushy . Been a tough few days for the teams and it's pretty hard going . Most bikes aren't running anywhere near their potential due to a number of niggly faults but heh thats racing . Still three days to go and many of us will be home on Sunday . Say what you like about the Kiwi's but they have the best gear a guy can <s>swipe</s>borrow and without the help of them and the other people in the ANZAC pit area we would have had a very hard time indeed . There are all nature of wicked machinery here and with my ASF shirt sitting on my bed at home next to the cable to connect my camera to the laptop you'll just have to wait til I get back .Anyway , have another early start in and am pretty buggered so better pass out . Later .

Uncle Chopa

rock hard
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
absoflogginloutly chop..have a think about putting a story together about the trip from start to finish.. im sure there are many of us would be stoked

livewire
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
3 Cheers for the Kiwi bloke, Richard Assen.
1 for big mph
2 for big mph
3 I believe he was instrumental in helping a lot of guys get their gear containered over to USA to 'live the dream'.
I've never met him, but "Good effort, bloke".
Sounds like he's been a big help at the track, too.

timbo
01-09-2009, 06:18 PM
That Richard bloke sounds like one descent human

Docktor
01-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Still mad as hell. well done to you and everyone else over there.

chopaweeza
01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I think the A-Ward people were the one's that bought our bikes & gear over . They are a great sponsor and without them & the many other great sponsors many of the bikes would still be at home. I have nothing but praise for the others in the ANZAC pit area and the bulk of the teams out here are just super helpful & nice as well. Really decent people , some pretty awesome bikes and a really decent turnout . The 400 horsepower Busa sidecar that Fritz Egli is riding is super clean as well and I'd like to see it without all the bodywork. Just quickly , as we were lined up to go out to the starting positions a light aircaraft landed on the salt about 100 metres from the line up. A bloke ran out to it , grabbed a shoe box sized packet of parts and the aircraft took off again. I've seen some pretty fast deliveries but that one just takes the cake. Anyway , time to get some coffee and race off to the track .

May the Salt Gods and the Gods of Speed smile on us today

chopaweeza
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Was a shitty day for us all round. Our last run yesterday the bike cut into one cylinder and did stuff all. This morning we found the rear head exhaust valve guide had come loose and was unable to be repaired here in the time left. While i was out covering for someone that had promised to help another crew but disappeared my stuff got stolen from my pit area . A number of crew shirts from other teams for my step-kids back home were lifted from near the bike and it has left a rather bitter taste in my mouth as a result . Not very happy as a result . It was a great experience coming here but my last experience on the salt was being the victim of theft so it sort of kills the moment somewhat .

Gix11
03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
That fuckin' sucks mate. Obviously general Joe has been allowed into the pits areas. Surely other racers don't do that sort of thing to each other. Absolute fuckers.

chopaweeza
03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Nah mate . Next to no general public out there mate about 98% racers & crews. Was not supposed to be out of the pit area but someone associated with the team made a deal with someone from another crew and when they didn't show up for their end of the deal i ended up having to do it instead . So I lost a pile of shirts for the kids back home . I'm absolutely disgusted on several fronts and I'll be keeping an eye out for those shirt types back home

Watto
03-09-2009, 02:01 PM
ah shit Wayne sorry to hear that mate considerin the calibre of people that are around at these things being such a fairly close community - only takes one to fuck it for the rest

MotoMax
06-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Wayne.....I cant believe any of the Ozzies would have them, if they did it would have been by mistake.....have you asked everyone?

On a seperate note, us Brits did rather well, we managed to squeeze 190mph (304kmh) out of the little CBR600RR securing a FIM world record for that class.........me thinks we need a bigger turbo and better aero for the big 200mph? maybe next year.

rock hard
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
congratulations steve,nice work

chopaweeza
07-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Luckily someone had grabbed them by mistake and is arranging for their return. Stuff was pinched from 2 other pits that I'm aware of during the week and alot of misplaced stuff returned as well. As with any pit area not everyone was about to ask but they are being returned shortly.

Gix11
07-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Thank fuck for that, faith is restored....

By the way, nice work Steve - 190mph out of a 600! Fuck!

Booster
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Back home ... jet lagged to buggery... so this will be short
last years bike was its good old reliable self, now has run 11 records with 4 different riders at 5 events.
the aussie bike a lot less reliable, but lots more potential if i can get it sorted better, decided on safety after the second damaged head and switched back to the erc fuels a8c which we were running on the other bike and is the supplied controlled fuel for gas class bikes, but never finished tuneing before the meet finished, led astray for a while with a poisoned 02 sensor.
but did run in the first days of the Bubs/fim meet... ran down at 205.881mph and a 202.031 return , so when FIM have finished there deliberations which can take months should have a 203.95record , the intent was to set a record safely then bump it up each pass being more risky on the engine but it did damage on the 3rd pass.

Iceman
07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Welcome home Greg. I bet your already thinking about next year. Have a well deserved rest mate. We'll catch up soon.

Fight_fan
07-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Congrats lads! Thats awesome stuff!

timbo
07-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Well done Greg i'm guessing you'll be needing a bigger hat rack with all those red hats to display

Watto
07-09-2009, 06:59 PM
good on ya lads!!

Chopa - good to hear things worked out ok in the end

Steve - onya bloke have got that 600 fair movin