PDA

View Full Version : Rocket's new project (don't mention the war)

Rocket
02-08-2009, 08:53 AM
No, it's not a bike.
I was starting to hanker after a new project after building the green bike and was toying with the idea of using all the good bits out of the turbo bike in a Katana but I couldnt really bring myself to break up such a cool bike.
Then I saw one of these on my way to work and it brought back a sudden reminder that I'd always wanted to do a job on a front engined Porsche and it dawned on me that I'd just found my next project !!

So here it is...'82 928S Porsche.
4.7L V8 with three speed auto

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249214972.jpg

The exterior is good, the interior just needs a bit of attention but, as is common with these cars and their over complicated electrics, some stuff doesnt work.
I'm planning to just chug along and fix those as they come.

In the mean time, I am looking for one of these...

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249172398.jpg

And using a conversion kit from here
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
I'll end up with an LS1 powered Porsche for cruisin!

So in order to get the car in the shed, we had to completely rearrange the whole fucking thing !
Took a bit of work but it all fits and there's now tons of room to move around which wasnt there before so I'm fucking happy about that !
Bike on the lifter is the turbo bike, motor has just had new base gasket fitted by Morry and a dulux overhaul.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1249195450.jpg

timbo
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Awesome mate i always wanted one of those 928's when i younger. I remember seeing one that had a after market exhaust and it sounded as tuff as fuck.From then on i was hooked. If your going dpwn the Chev road why don't you go for the 6 litre they have a lot more bottom end pull compared to the 5.7 from not much more money. Now please tell me that this weapon will be getting TWIN TURBOS

rock hard
02-08-2009, 10:49 AM
nice work Rocket,billy is awesome with electrics.and electric drills.this project isnt cause of one little trip to freo in the rain in the van ?

timbo
02-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey Rocket check this out
http://www.eagleautoparts.com.au/eng_chev_gmcrate.htm

Azrael
02-08-2009, 02:31 PM
This is going to be fucking awesome!

Love your rego plates mate haha

Large
02-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Always liked the 928s and 917s...

Nuke GM. That Panzer needs a fucking Hemi

latheboy
02-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Lexus V8 would be my pick of engines....

Tony Nitrous
02-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Its an Audi...

Well.....sort of.

Porshe were involved in the design work but never intended to
build them. They were originaly built by Audi in an Audi factory
using lots of VW and Audi parts. Should have been an entry level
Audi Sports model. The Porshe badge was pure marketing.

Still a nice size/shape car to stick a big V8 in though....[8D]

GammaBoy
02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Tony - that's the 924 that used the alloy version of an audi motor, and an audi transaxle.

Tony Nitrous
02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
My mistake.

Rocket
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Timbo, I chose the LS1 mainly because of price. That's pretty much going to be the cheapest LSX engine I will get.
The other thing that concerned me is the transaxle (by Mercedes in this model), so with the LS1's lack of serious grunt, it won't be so taxing on the stock box.
If I get brave later on, there's plenty to be done with the Gen3, power wise.
I considered the crate motors but decided against them because you only get a motor for the money.
I need all the bits that go with it. Computer, harness, air con and p/s pump, exhuast manifolds, engine mounts, alternator blah-dy blah blah.
So i'll just find a healthy used gen3 which will come with everything.

The way I unsderstand it, Gammaboy is right. The 924 and 944 were the Audi engined models. I understand the front engined cars were developed because the tail heavy rear engined 911 was believed to be reaching the end of it's development potential.
How wrong were they !!!
Then the 928 was pushed as a luxo GT and the 911 stayed the sports model.

Anyway, i know fuck all about porches except that I always fancied one of these, more so when I found out there's an SBC conversion available.
I just hope I can sort all the lectrical stuff at home, I'll have a crack.....and then yell for Morry !!

rock hard
02-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Rocket old mate your "totaly fuckin awesomness multimeter operators certificate" is in the mail,just remember Real Men are D.C.

hyofighter
03-08-2009, 12:06 AM
hey phil you do know i am a mechanic , so if ya need help sing out all to happy to help , plus im keen myself on a LS series engine for my tonner so ill see how much hair you have left after this project to deem it feasible or not

Rocket
03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Scotty, you're welcome to come and check it out when I get all the bits.
Mechanically I;m fine but electrically, I'm a retard.
But that's the way to learn right ?

Rocket
23-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Picked this up the other day.
Coil packs have been removed so i can clean the motor properly before I paint it.
Took the rocker covers off and looks clean on one side but the other side has a bit of shit that found its way in through the filler neck that got snapped off when the car was burying itself into the ground.

Bought an underdrive pulley kit and a set of new idlers and new crank seal. Might as well change that stuff while I have the motor out.

I'll see if it will fit in the engine bay with the extractors, if not, i got a set of manifolds as well.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/blowngsxr11/100_0012.jpg

BANDITROD
23-08-2009, 10:30 PM
awsome phil and ivan i would have picked a lexus aswell mate they have a near on bulletproof bottom end

hyofighter
23-08-2009, 11:06 PM
nice one phil , 5.7 i take it , and not a vt one i hope as some had oil comsumption issues , and what do you mean by see if it fits , make it take it , the coil packs one the ls1 make them a ugly engine thats for sure , this one is is in a mates hk monro he has remote mounted the coils got some wanky covers and mafless tune is a awesome car with plenty of go for what he wants so in you posh volkswagon it will be mad
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1251086364.jpg

Rocket
23-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Lexus V8 = 4 litres vs LS1 = 5.7 litres. Why would you pick a smaller motor ?
Technology aside, i don't see a Lexus motor making more torque than an LS1 and you can't go past a chev for go fast stuff.
Of course, the main reason to go with a chev is because thats what the conversion kit is made for :)
The chev is still lighter than the original Porsche V8, makes more power and is a fuckload cheaper to fix and run and (maybe later) hot up.

Scotty you're right about the coil packs being a bit ugly, but I kinda like the industrial look. I'll stick some fancy plug leads on and some stainless cap screws and that'll fucking do it.

Jay_G
24-08-2009, 11:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

awsome phil and ivan i would have picked a lexus aswell mate they have a near on bulletproof bottom end

and cost an absolute bomb to get any reasonable power out of them.
there is a plethora of performance parts around for the LS1

latheboy
25-08-2009, 07:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jay_G

quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

and cost an absolute bomb to get any reasonable power out of them.
there is a plethora of performance parts around for the LS1

Not true, the motor is detuned to keep the emissions down and to fit the motor into the engine bay of the lexus it was fitted with the most restrictive exhaust manifold you've ever seen.
There's around 40 horses in the exhaust and theres more in the intake. A common mod is twin throttle bodies to get it to breath good like.
I have heard of N/A 600HP lexus with only basic mods.

Yes there are heaps of parts around for the LS1 and they go ok, just be careful of the 1st gen motors.

rock hard
04-10-2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1254674626.jpg

Big box of bits turned up = a very happy Rocket

timbo
04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
MMMMMM shiny

80s freak
04-10-2009, 06:53 PM
We like shiny things. On a side note: I always wanted to fit a lexus into my '86 supra, reckon it would be fun.

WATEVR
05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
a mate of mine had a 1600 celica that had a leyland V8 in it. never really got it running right but it did run a flat 13 wheels spining!! cops back in TAS never liked it cause executive bomodores could never keep up.