PDA

View Full Version : ALDI Bike Gear - The big GPS edition

JackTar
29-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Just got an ALDI dogalog and it has all bike gear in it again, pretty cheap too. Even a $199 bike GPS dunno how good it would be but bike ones are usually close to the 1k mark.

DiscoDan
29-07-2009, 08:58 AM
That caught my eye as well, I might get me a couple of the $40 bike covers. They look to be lot better than the normal shite you get at that price

sen
29-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Covers look ok, and the wets maybe..

Bottom of this page for those that don't get the junkmail: http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/offers_20090730.htm?WT.z_src=main

Yamie
29-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I want the socks and the locks:)

miniman1
29-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, saw that aswell, might grab 1 of those helmets just 4 a spare....

Jup
29-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I'll be test driving the GPS unit and will report back how it went. I do know that previous GPS units have copped a bagging from the IBA community who prefer the Garmin Nuvi 500 for $470, but that does not include mounts etc and only comes with city maps...

Things I will be checking for:

Country streets or only city streets?
How good is the FM earpiece in a helmet? (no bluetooth!)
How secure is the mount to the cradle?

If anyone else can think of things I need to test/check it for let me know.

scotty
29-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I did a check on the maps it uses.
They are the sensis jobs(good ones) that all the Garmin etc. use...
It says waterproof toooooo

Tony Nitrous
29-07-2009, 06:32 PM
It say's.......

"Motorcycle Jacket, Waterproof to 5000mm"

Is that 5m under water?

Jup
29-07-2009, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

It say's.......

Is that 5m under water?

lol! Perhaps it's waterproof to 5000mm of rainfall? we're all familiar with just how "waterproof" some riding gear is after a few hours in the rain?

Jockney Rebel
29-07-2009, 08:37 PM
ive been using the "aldi' gps in my car for the last 6 months and its awesome and only 140bucks

suxukifreak
29-07-2009, 08:54 PM

It say's.......

Is that 5m under water?

Thats 5m out of your garage. ;)

80s freak
29-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I'll be trying out the gps tomorrow night on the way home from work. No bluetooth kinda sucks. Used to bluetooth gps on my phone, but that ain't waterproof.

Gsxar
29-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I brought the socks & the bike lock last time they had the bike gear, there pretty good. Thinking might try the gps unit

Jockney Rebel
30-07-2009, 01:10 AM
the wet gear is designed in Germany and ive used it in the UK as a courier, its ok about mid range quality better than some stuff thats twice the price the socks are the dogs bollox btw in the cold

DiscoDan
30-07-2009, 09:35 AM

It say's.......

Is that 5m under water?

That's 5m of water head pressure resistance which isn't bad but completely irrelevant if the seams aren't sealed properly.

DiscoDan
30-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I stopped and had a look at the jackets whilst I was picking up the bike cover. I used to work for W.L.Gore (makers of Gore-Tex) looking after the technical side of the Motorcycle garment market in the region so I'd consider myself qualified to pass judgement on them.

In short the fabric looks like a good midrange waterproof/breathable coating. The breathability will be questionable so it will be hot in summer but as a winter/spring jacket it would be fine. Don't machine wash it as it will likely break up the waterproof coating. The construction will leak eventually (silly things like the seams are sewn straight through to the zipper which will wick water) so it's not a serious rain jacket you'd wear touring in the rain, but as a commuter jacket for 30 mins riding it would be adequate and is good value at $120.

just my thoughts

Yamie
30-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Got my socks and locks and the helmets look good for the price:D

gumby190
30-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Got some socks & the GPS.

GPS seems alright.
Can connect to my radio in my car & play MP3's...........

Has a 60 day money back, so pretty safe testing period.
And as a bonus it didn't get me lost on the way back from Aldi's.
For $200 with all the mounts I reckon you can't go wrong.

latheboy
30-07-2009, 02:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

I stopped and had a look at the jackets whilst I was picking up the bike cover. I used to work for W.L.Gore (makers of Gore-Tex) looking after the technical side of the Motorcycle garment market in the region so I'd consider myself qualified to pass judgement on them.

In short the fabric looks like a good midrange waterproof/breathable coating. The breathability will be questionable so it will be hot in summer but as a winter/spring jacket it would be fine. Don't machine wash it as it will likely break up the waterproof coating. The construction will leak eventually (silly things like the seams are sewn straight through to the zipper which will wick water) so it's not a serious rain jacket you'd wear touring in the rain, but as a commuter jacket for 30 mins riding it would be adequate and is good value at $120.

just my thoughts

Got any samples hanging around?

I was always pissed off Mountain Hardwear never did bike gear, i use my MH over pants in the rain and they are great but exy at $500 if i hit the deck.
A mate got the wet gear last time (jamesy) and being the outdoor gear freaks we are, shit canned them within a week.
I just use my technical gear but im a sook and dont like getting wet:D

Jup
30-07-2009, 03:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by gumby190

GPS seems alright.

The FM unit is weak and requires the GPS to bi in itas cradle to use it as an antenna if you want more than a couple of inches of range. Interesting that you can change the FM frequency it operates on (the helmet doohickie is on 86Mhz)... perhaps I can use my scala bluetooth through my phone, and run the phones FM radio and get the best of both worlds? I'm not sure I want to have another unit bolted to my helmet lol

[edit: my phone will not allow the headset (required as an antenna) and the bluetooth to both be connected - I'll have to use the provided reciever on the right side of my helmet :( ]

As far as the GPS unit is concerned: It comes with the full Aussie map including country towns.

The cradle is solid and very customisable. The cradle must be hardwired to the battery/loom and the unit charges off the mount.

It's the same as the GPS used on the Nokia 6110 navigator - route 66 with windows CE 5.0 although the functions are (to me) easier to use.

Let's see how it holds up over the next few weeks...

Mishdog20
30-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Just bought a pair of wets for $50 bucks, they look alright to me, and we'll see how they hold up in Ballarat weather. I'm 177 cm tall and weigh about 76 kgs, the Large ALDI set of wets fitted perfect. They make them in Med, Large, and Extra Large. I just though you guys might like to know if you're looking at a pair, and to use those sizes to judge off.

gumby190
30-07-2009, 06:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jup

GPS seems alright.

The FM unit is weak and requires the GPS to bi in itas cradle to use it as an antenna if you want more than a couple of inches of range. Interesting that you can change the FM frequency it operates on (the helmet doohickie is on 86Mhz)... perhaps I can use my scala bluetooth through my phone, and run the phones FM radio and get the best of both worlds? I'm not sure I want to have another unit bolted to my helmet lol

[edit: my phone will not allow the headset (required as an antenna) and the bluetooth to both be connected - I'll have to use the provided reciever on the right side of my helmet :( ]

As far as the GPS unit is concerned: It comes with the full Aussie map including country towns.

The cradle is solid and very customisable. The cradle must be hardwired to the battery/loom and the unit charges off the mount.

It's the same as the GPS used on the Nokia 6110 navigator - route 66 with windows CE 5.0 although the functions are (to me) easier to use.

Let's see how it holds up over the next few weeks...

I've got rid of the handlebar mount & made it attach to my unused mirror mount. I just couldn't attach without affecting my clutch/chi.

I get good reception with the FM thingy when on the bike, starts to break up about 3m away.
Don't know if this is of any interest but when I wear my watch the reception is a bit rough if my hand is near the unit. Move it away & it is fine. BIG 50mm stainless divers watch.

On a side note the navigation software can be updated with TOM TOM Software or IGO8.

30-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Good luck with getting yer hands on the GPS. St Marys (NSW) had sold out by lunchtime.

Jackets and pants gone but they still had plenty of boots.

Bike cover fits Gixer 750 and seems to be well made. Especially for the price.

holyman_999
30-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I got a bunch of this stuff for me and my dad last time round...

My $0.02...

Tank bag is great, i've had it up to 200 with only the magnets, and it's rock solid... been using it almost everyday... zippers still work, no busted seams, etc. My only dislike is that during heavy rain, the cover lets a little bit of water either through, or up underneath... either way, not enough to really worry about...

Jacket and Pants work o.k. (these were dad's, and he's a bitch and rides once every two months, lol) so I grabbed them and tested them out... they're solid enough for the price... my only complaint is that they're HEAVY...

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY THE GLOVES (alright, maybe as a back up pair... [:I]) but they don't hold up well to constant abuse...

although, i'm not sure they have gloves this time, so, possibly disregard that... [:o)]

tl;dr
cheap gear, good value, get what you pay for...

GingerNinja
30-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Grabbed a pair of socks and a set of gloves for the missus.

As advertised
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1248957161.jpg

What I got.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1248984587.jpg

They are a pretty small sizing, so I grabbed a pair of Large ones even though she hasn't got big hands (Bless her - she makes my dick look bigger).

Nudie
30-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I picked up the wet weather gear. Looks OK (but so did my ex wife when we met!) I'm 190cm and 115kegs, the XL gear fits alright, maybe a little short in the leg. But now i've got more than plastic bags and $2 ponchos it probably wont rain until 2011 so I wont know how well it all works!

papa smurf
30-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I got some sox & a lock & chain.
The helmets didn't look too bad but don't need one of those.

DiscoDan
30-07-2009, 09:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

Got any samples hanging around?

I was always pissed off Mountain Hardwear never did bike gear, i use my MH over pants in the rain and they are great but exy at $500 if i hit the deck.
A mate got the wet gear last time (jamesy) and being the outdoor gear freaks we are, shit canned them within a week.
I just use my technical gear but im a sook and dont like getting wet:D

I'm afraid I've only got a couple of samples left, strictly for personal consumption of course, a Tiger Angel Element and a Aerostich Roadcrafter. That was certainly one of the fringe benefits of the job and one I miss. That and trips to germany to BMW, one of the best was when they organised a 3 day ride through the Italian alps for a group of us, fully laid on with the beemer fleet in tow including a couple of M3's if you didn't want to ride.

10 years later and the best I can score is.....

.......well nothing really.

80s freak
30-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Got the gps, rode home from work tonight for an hour and twenty minutes in pissing fucking rain, unit worked great and as long as it;s plugged in the range was pretty good to the headset. No complaints from me so far. Like the speed cam function to.

gumby190
31-07-2009, 07:53 PM
The GPS is working out good.

But I was thinking about Bluetooth...............
It has a USB port, it's running Windows CE.
Is there anything stopping us from adding an external Bluetooth dongle & the CE Drivers to allow connections?

Seems right in theory, but would it work in practise?

gumby190
01-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Some people are quick to try & make a couple of bucks -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Motorcycle-GPS-Brand-new-still-in-box_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQha shZitem2555c20332QQitemZ160352568114QQptZAUQ5fElec tronicsQ5fGPSQQsalenotsupported

Jup
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM

The GPS is working out good.

But I was thinking about Bluetooth...............
It has a USB port, it's running Windows CE.
Is there anything stopping us from adding an external Bluetooth dongle & the CE Drivers to allow connections?

Seems right in theory, but would it work in practise?

CPU 400Mhz, RAM 64Mb, STORAGE 1Gb SD card (expandable up to 4Gb max) OS Windows CE5.0

I reckon the system is probably pushed to it's limit running windows, GPS and .MP3s at the same time, although I haven't even tried that yet... Still, it's worth a look as long as it won't cost you much.

I intend to hook a car stereo up in the future and hope to just run it through speakers ;) I was going to use an iPod originally but with .mp3 capability broadcast over FM this might work just as well.

gumby190
02-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I got the GPS into the CE Operating System.
Spent a couple of hours loading/modifying it.

After all this I realised that the FM transmitter will not function in this mode.:( So I have changed the operating system back to standard for the time being.
When in CE mode it is possible to load up all the necessary software to make an external bluetooth headset run. I just need to get the right USB plug.[8D]

I have games & a whole lot of other app's ready to go.

Jup
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Update: I've mounted the cradle on the bike and discovered that the little silver locking screw rattles like a bitch if the GPS is not in place - will have to fix that somehow...

JackTar
02-08-2009, 01:42 PM
But I fuckin love how it is hard wired to my battery, how good is it to not have to think about charging it and not draining your phone.

Cruisecontrol
02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
For god's sake men, listen to yourselves!

Just buy a bloody Goldwing and be done with it.

02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

Maybe a Goldwing like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Estreetfighters%2Ecom%2Eau% 2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Easp%3FTOPIC%5FID%3D16082&feature=player_embedded

Jup
02-08-2009, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by playswithnitro

Maybe a Goldwing like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Estreetfighters%2Ecom%2Eau% 2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Easp%3FTOPIC%5FID%3D16082&feature=player_embedded

mmmm love that scraping sound :D

JackTar
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Or we could sell our road bikes and buy dirt bikes.

Cruisecontrol
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
30 hours and that is the best you could come up with?

JackTar
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
LOL first time I had noticed you'd baited me Dan.

Cruisecontrol
03-08-2009, 08:32 PM
This subtlety stuff is getting me nowhere.

JackTar
03-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I've met RSMs (remember those?) more subtle than you mate.

Cruisecontrol
03-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Hmm, me too. :D

Jup
04-08-2009, 04:54 AM
Feel the love!

Has anyone else noticed that when you turn the unit completely off that you have to reset the time/date, or have I got a dodgy one?

80s freak
04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
The time and date were set right on mine when I opened it, haven't had to reset it yet.

Seifer
04-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Feel the love!

Has anyone else noticed that when you turn the unit completely off that you have to reset the time/date, or have I got a dodgy one?

Mine's the same, its giving me the shits. My computer wont recognise it either, is it just a simple matter of plugging it in or am i missing something??

Jup
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

Feel the love!

Mine's the same, its giving me the shits. My computer wont recognise it either, is it just a simple matter of plugging it in or am i missing something??

Install "route66sync" (cd is in the box).

Run route66sync >help >route66 sync help >Connecting the device to the PC

Follow the instructions (depends on operating system XP or Vista) I'm still feeling my way around this also and YMMV [8)]

Seifer
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Right that's done the trick.
Now a question for you tech heads, is there any way that I can have the music running and the gps at the same time, or better yet any other gps programs I can install which have that functionality built in... also where does the fm receiver mount to?

gumby190
04-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Can't have music at the same time with route 66.

I am pretty sure Igo8 can play music & navigate.

Jup
05-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Obtaining Igo8.3 + AUS maps now, will give it a go and report back if I get it working.

FM reciever mounts to left side of helmet, or you can change the frequency of the GPS unit to broadcast to your personal FM radio.

JackTar
05-04-2010, 06:40 PM
One of the strangest first posts ever, try this section for a start mate,
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26

I have the aldi one, does the job but you get what you pay for most bike units are aroung the $800 mark still the aldi one isn't bad for $200, gets me where I'm going.

Jup
05-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Given that this topic has been resurrected...

Mine was returned under warranty when it failed to start after the first few rides. I'm now using a $99 application for my iPhone mounted to the bars with a headphone extension running under the tank to the seat.

I keep it waterproof using a sandwich bag and could take calls and listen to tunes in full dynamic audio (not crappy FM reception). The GPS function worked a charm to and from the AFR.

I was surprised to see a number of ALDI mounts at the AFR, some of you must still be happy with the units.

Bob
09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I had for Jindabyne and it worked a treat.

Seifer
09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey jup, just on the iPhone thing, since gloves don't work on iPhones, I found this product in the states called semi conductive thread, all you do is sew it into your finger tips and voilą u can iPhone again. Gonna order some so if ur keen il send you off a meter or so of thread.

Jup
09-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks Seifer, I've looked into that thread before. It's supposed to be good for "touch screens" but my understanding is that the iPhone works through heat not conductivity.

This is why the sandwich bag trick works.

Still, I don't find it all that inconvenient to pull over and whip off a glove on the rare occasion that I need to use the screen.

YMMV

[Edit: Further research reveals that the screen is NOT heat activated and that threads such as this WILL WORK. I'd be really interested in hearing your results!]

rod185651
09-04-2010, 03:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bob

I had for Jindabyne and it worked a treat.

Was it you Bob, that said your GPS gave you a guided tour of Sydney on your way down to the AFR?

JackTar
09-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Sydney is a cunt of a place for any GPS unit if you are going from one end to the other becasue of all the tunnels and the freeways that run paralel over the top of each other.

rod185651
09-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah good point, guess it comes down to one of the old navigation rules: GPS is just an aid, so don't rely on it as your primary navigation tool.

revken
11-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Jup, the iphone screens works on conductivity. I did some tests and subsequently modded my summer gloves using press studs. the stud on its on will not work the screen, the stud in contact with the skin will operate the screen. I think the conductive thread would need to go through the glove and be in contact with the skin. the other option I'm going to try is a conductive glue.

Jup
11-04-2010, 08:10 AM
quote:I think the conductive thread would need to go through the glove and be in contact with the skin.

Yeah, that's what the instructions say where you buy the thread - they're quite specific about how big to make the thread patch and that it's best to leave as much loose thread floating around inside the glove as possible.

I just tried it with a door key as a pointer and it worked. Man it's amazing just how much misinformation is out there!

BANDITROD
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
i got a stylus for my iphone <<<<<<<<<yeah i know thats ghey but it works