PDA

View Full Version : messing with fuel additives

WATEVR
11-11-2006, 03:49 PM
i have been doing a bit of research into acetone as a fuel additive. after reading a few articles and all of them suggesting a ratio of .78 to 1000 we tried it on a mates bike. results where amazing torque and power through the whole rev range where improved. now considering that price wise it aquates to about 1c a litre of fuel more. key points are that it needs to be 100% acetone not the plumber product which is a blend and most importantly it doesnt seem to corrode rubber especially at the levels which are being used.
if youre wondering what the acetone does is breaks the surface of the fuel so it burns cleanly and evenly leaving no residue of fuel in the barrel.
please look into it yourself before trying anything but its definately worth your effort

ozkat
11-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Very interesting, i have an unlimited supply of acetone. Where did you get your info from WATEVR? What happens to pistons etc when you go higher than the quoted .78 parts per 1000?

Tone
11-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Out of interest,what type of bike did you try it on and where did you get the articles?
Cheers

ozkat
11-11-2006, 07:26 PM
i found this http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive#Individual_Re ports

papa smurf
11-11-2006, 08:08 PM
now that is some VERY interesting reading

ozkat
11-11-2006, 08:51 PM
35 ml per 10 litres (or 0.35%) of fuel will stay well within safe levels. I use acetone at work every day and if you leave acetone in contact with rubber it will cause it to swell, it will also go back to its original state within hours of removing the rubber from acetone. Acetone is also soluable in water and fuel, 0.35% - 0.50% will not cause any problems with seals, gaskets and rubbers. Howeverim not sure you would get any HP benifits by using acetone as a fuel additive, the results on a dyno would be interesting. One of the real benifits would be cooler combustion chamber temps especially on high compression engines (turbocharged engines would really benifit from this) Untill i see dyno results i would be sceptical about HP increses, but there would be a few other advantages to use acetone which would make it well worthwhile.

Booster
11-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I used 25% tolulene 3% acetone blended with premium for several years in a high compression V8 when i was racing Speedway cars.
Don't think there was any hp increase in the fuel but it did allow me to run high compression which did improve hp.
Oh yeah , more than 3% acetone gave me headgasket problems, if i remember correctly the tolulene slowed the flame rate down and acetone sped it back up

xjrjack01
12-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I tried using acetone in my Jeep, cause it's a thirsty bugger and found no increase in mileage at all. But then again I've also tried running it on premium and found no improvement in fuel consumption, so it might just be the Jeep. With all the aerodynamics of a house brick I really shouldn't expect too much in the way of fuel economy.

Stocky
12-11-2006, 08:02 AM
The tolulene is an octane booster, the acetone is good at carrying things like tolulene and keeping them mixed in normal fuel.

Acetone is good for exactly what they say.... it helps atomisation and complete burn.

Xylene is a bit better than Tolulene but harder to get.

Both are oxeganted as well so you do get power gains from it.

For serious power gains , Acetone will blend Nitromethane into normal fuel up to 8%

You can add 8% Nitro with 8% Acetone and it will stay mixed. Any more and the Nitro doesn't stay blended and serates.

There is a huge change in fueling required. If we were talking jetting it's in the order of 4 to 6 jet size increase.

The other problem is unless you run the engine for quite some time without the Nitro after use it will corode the inside of the motor. The left over stuff from combustion combines with moisture and makes nitric acid and there is oxygen present so it rusts bearings etc at an amazing rate.

Oh but it smells awesome LOL

Booster
12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Nitro :D now were talking HP.
But Tolulene is hydrocarbon without any oxygenates unless brought as a commercial octain booster with MTBE added.
Also due to its slow burn time not recommended for engines reving more than 7500 as much will pass thru the engine unburnt

WATEVR
13-11-2006, 08:09 AM
the bike tested was a bis bore v-twin which will remain brandless as i cant associate myself with tractors!! this does work in with what booster says about the slower reving engines. this bike also is running very high comp as it has an s&s built motor. but to add what most poeple dont know is that the higher the octane the slower the fuel detinates. this is why high comp motors work better with it as the piston is moving away as it fires. most articles read however where directed at cars so maybe further investigation is req.anyway have a look at this http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/