PDA

View Full Version : SVXR

J7-11
24-07-2009, 05:13 PM
So after delusions of grandeur thinking I could slot a SV650 motor into an RGV frame (thanks Rapid) I decided to take the easy route and build up a SV650 instead. My requirements were:

-Fuel efficient (have become a greenie since moving back to Tas)
-Light
-Go around corners ok
-Not a slug

So I found a cheapish SV with front end damage and thought I could slot a late model GSXR front end on there. Did a deal with a guy in the US and scored myself a complete front end from a K8 600, as well as the shock and rear wheel. Bike arrives in 2 weeks time and thus will begin the next project. The fork & wheel conversion will be all for now, then once I part with the 7/11 I'll start looking at some other mods. Thinking full Yoshi and microsquirt, surely this can only make it more efficient, right?

The end result will hopefully be something that is killer around the track, used f'all fuel in the process, can still do long distances on with the girl on the back, and fine for the daily commute.

Thought I might let you guys know I'm not dead, the love is still there, and I'll be back on the road by the time the sun comes out again...

Gix11
24-07-2009, 05:18 PM
For anyone here that doesn't know, J7-11 is one of the longest running members on this forum in it's current guise (2004 I believe). Where have you been mate!?

Good to hear the love is still there and you're back into it. Don't be shy with the build photos and details mate!

Welcome back.

Fight_fan
24-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Pics or it never happened!

Hey u got any shots of the 7/11 mate?

J7-11
24-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Shit, has it been that long? :p

Story goes after I left the Navy I moved back to Tassie, 7/11 stayed on the road for a little while but my guilt got the better of me for all the fuel I was burning for my own personal enjoyment. Rego passed and she was off the road... I bought myself a Madass 125 which was brilliant at 3l/100km but then a pair of bogans decided they wanted it more than me and they nicked it! Turns out they put a different engine in it (Honda single close), took all the lights, indicators, footpegs, brake calipers off, and some dodo was riding it around on the street like that. Cops caught him (after the HT lead fell off!), I got my insurance money and thus begins another build...

I love building bikes just as much as I love riding them, as a tree hugger it's going to be hard justifying to myself riding purely for my own enjoyment, but I'll find a way around it. Carbon (guilt) offsets or something! There's a part of me that is missing, and that's motorbikes. I can't compromise myself any more so I'm getting back in the saddle. There it is mate...

Photos and details will be coming, and I'll do my best to be there at the next AFR!

Tony Nitrous
24-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Your a great Tree Hugger,
look at the list of parts you recycling.....;)

We have an SV6 sat here too,
look forward to seeing how your mod's go.

Tony.J.

fimpBIKES
24-07-2009, 10:16 PM
interesting combo mate

i actually have a RGV rolling chassis with a sv650 motor shoved into it in my secret compount at the moment
it fits, but im not going forward on it either
too much cutting of crossmembers to continue IMO

if your interested in an XR600R motor to shove in there though, let me know ;)

J7-11
25-07-2009, 08:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

Pics or it never happened!

Hey u got any shots of the 7/11 mate?

Just the old ones mate. She looks pretty much the same as this apart from a new damper and billet m/c reservoir. I did have a nice Earl's cooler once upon a time but that popped. Oh, the plate has changed from NSW to TAS and it's now white on black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/J7-11/leftside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/J7-11/pfront.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/J7-11/rearright.jpg

Pretty sure I was the first in Aussie to do the K1/K2 subframe & ducktail conversion (after seeing UK_Lee's bike in Streetfighters mag.) Ben helped me out tig'ing on the brackets and getting the angle right. Now I see there's lots of them about!

She's now sitting in a mate's garage (along with a '05 Blade RR that we're going to fighter and a XB12SS) with stuffed gauges

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/J7-11/dash.jpg

So once I get those fixed or put something else on I think I'll put her on the market...

J7-11
25-07-2009, 08:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Your a great Tree Hugger,
look at the list of parts you recycling.....;)

We have an SV6 sat here too,
look forward to seeing how your mod's go.

Tony.J.

Not only am I recycling, but I'm making her go faster around corners, which means less braking & accelerating = less fuel consumed.

One guilt offset point to me!

ozkat
25-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Good to hear from you mate, its been a while. Great to see you still have the GSXR too. I havent been back to Tassie since we last spoke, ill catch up with you when we do go tho.
Shayne

tunelliner
29-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Shame about the SV motor though
doesn't make enough power :(, but the handling is fuckin awesome for a "budget bike" with the gsxr front end

here's my SVXR :)
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/tunelliner/SV650%20GSXR/25062009050-001.jpg