PDA

View Full Version : Info on turbo-ing a bike for a new guy...

MIK20B
21-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi all, how are we?... im new here and pretty new to bikes also, have had a few but never really got into mods, just riden them... i have built my first custom bike... see here... ( http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16177 ) and now want to add a small turbo...

i have the turbo... im thinking suck through carby set up... i dont want to run huge boost, pretty much only want the look and whosssssssh sound! hehe cheesy i know...

i have heard that ill need some kind of oil scavenging pump, is this right? also, ill run an oil cooler of some kind to help out...

pipe work and the like ill do, dont want an intercooler at all as it will be low boost, just enough to make the wossssssh sound haha...

i have been told ill need to go up a few mm in carby diameter...

is there anything else i need to know?

latheboy
21-07-2009, 03:36 PM
If you get the turbo ABOVE the oil level you wont need a pump but you have to make sure the oil return Ø is big enough that the oil will flow.
How much is low boost, 1/2/3/4Psi? You will need a fuel pump and a reg, i dont thing gravity will be enough fuel pressure:D.
You shouldn't need to go up in carby size but it will need a tune.

If you suck through and want the whosh sound expect to have raw fuel exiting through the blow off valve, so dont point that at the exhaust or any part of you... Compressed air + fuel + hot exhaust = kaboom...

scotty mac
21-07-2009, 04:19 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1248173041.jpg

kinda like this?

MIK20B
21-07-2009, 05:23 PM
yeah i guess its not really going to whossssssh much with a carby in front of it will it... can you blow boost through these bike carbys?

and a fuel pump and reg you say, even with low boost and a bigger carb??? im thining 3 or 4 psi... mmm, might not be as easy as i first thought.

Deano
21-07-2009, 05:53 PM
if you want suck through you will need a hsr carb and a turbo that is sealed to suit. these turbos are getting harder to find now days.

don't need a BOV really as there is no throttle blades to bend between the turbo and valves.

good luck

MIK20B
21-07-2009, 05:58 PM
wasnt going to fit bov... so its looking like blow through then.... are bike carbs able to be blown through? will they hold the boost?

Deano
21-07-2009, 08:59 PM
should do. be prepared for alot of dyno time and keep in mind that you will need some power available to run a fuel pump. anything up to 10amps needed.

blow through carbs can be a real pain. you need to do alot of research on what parts of the carb you need to give boost signals cause as you already no you are asking a carb to do something it was never designed to do.

Booster
21-07-2009, 09:49 PM
easiest would be to put the carby in a box and pressure reference a 1:1 regulator , better but a little more complicated would be a pitot tube supplying pressure to the carb bowl and regulator .
Pity that pic didn't catch the look on Als (the starters) face

ralph
22-07-2009, 01:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Deus-Style-Cafe-Racer-Motorcycle-Low-Kms-full-rego_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a10Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q 2em14QQhashZitem3ca412b3efQQitemZ260450726895QQptZ AUQ5fMotorcyclesQQsalenotsupported#ebayphotohostin g

scotty mac
22-07-2009, 02:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

easiest would be to put the carby in a box and pressure reference a 1:1 regulator , better but a little more complicated would be a pitot tube supplying pressure to the carb bowl and regulator .
Pity that pic didn't catch the look on Als (the starters) face

you look all cool, calm n collected. lol

Gix11
22-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I always thought that as well Greg. I guess that happened a lot hey? Was the first time it happened so calm?

Booster
22-07-2009, 04:35 PM
First time it happend was on a dyno, and i wasn't on it just watching in from the other side, franticly trying to get my phone out for a pic, the guy on it was also frantic, trying to get the computer cables out of the flames.

That time at the track i was thinking how to make it do that at will, got it figured now ;)