PDA

View Full Version : Custom Paints

pommie
09-11-2006, 05:13 PM
has anyone used any of the new Custom Paints on the market, such as chrome, candy over chrome, crystal etc.
if so what sort of result did you get, Pics please if you have any

pt
09-11-2006, 06:01 PM
i think ben was experimenting with the chrome paint last time i was at the shop. he said it was hard to get right and rather EXPENSIVE...

Kamakazebusa
09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA......expensive is not the word.

Crystal effects paint additive is easy enough and cheap enough to do, ( just ordered some more today for my paintshop) but paint chroming requires a special machine which cost close to $15'000 on its own without paint and i'm sure no paint shop in OZ is willing to outlay that sort of cash unless they have a good marketing strategy behind them to sell the stuff.

I'm sure everyone has seen the chrome 05' R1, AC Cobra...etc etc, u can chrome about anything from footballs, helmets , leather couch at home that sort of shit but it comes at a price.

Crystal effects is nice and easy and within average Joes price range.........will post some pics when i do a few sprayouts

Kamakazebusa
09-11-2006, 07:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

i think ben was experimenting with the chrome paint last time i was at the shop. he said it was hard to get right and rather EXPENSIVE...

That type of chrome paint is called ghost chrome.....it s good for producing 3D images with stencil sprayouts and such. Sounds technical but quite easy, application plays a big part.

pommie
09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
the one i was looking at is called mirra chrome & can be sprayed on with a normal spray gun,

here is a link to some clips of the mirra chrome using a normal spray gun, for anyone interested http://alsacorp.com/products/live/bonus.htm

09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
top link Pommie,theres some interesting gear and vid's there

EXBEN
09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah I've been using the mirra chrome..... & well it looks great........before you clear it, but the clear dulls it a fair bit. They say the clear only dulls it 5% but I recon it's more like 15%. Believe me I've tried everything & the best I can get once it's cleared is probably burnished/semi polished alloy. Funny even in the instructional video ( yeah they suckered me in for that too) they don't show you the finish after it's been cleared. The only spray chrome that looks like chrome is the expensive one that Kamakazee mentioned. Although I've used their Crystal FX, Crazer, Crystal pearls, candys, basecoats, & clears with great results. If you do want to use the spray chrome try the Killer cans kit first to see how you go.

barknmad
10-11-2006, 05:49 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/46574521979863.JPG

This is my attempt of Crystal effect on a tank, using everyday garden products. Looks good in small doses though. There are a few places in Briz that do the full chrome (with varying quality). A few of my mates are into hot rods and painting chrome is legal on suspension components. The rod guys are always looking for good ways around things.

pommie
10-11-2006, 06:04 AM
EXBEN thanks for the heads up, was it their clear you used or a different one? lets face it there is no way around not clearing it.

EXBEN
10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah their clear & yeah you've gotta clear it otherwise the chrome effect just rubs off cause it's not actually a paint.

EXBEN
10-11-2006, 07:52 AM
barknmad, that did turn out alright whats that stuff called again??

barknmad
10-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Exben, it's a saturated solution of Urea fertilizer. I just put in a wetting agent (detergent)to get better coverage.

Foxy
10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
I am in the process of looking into purchasing the chrome FX machine as we need it for the signage we produce.

I have seen all the candies and have used the mirror chrome (Exben is spot on with his comments) The candies are cool, as are all the effect paints (they all look better in the flesh).

The mirra chrome works better when back spraying high impact clear acylic

Not the best photo but the Audi logo is vac formed PET plastic with Chrome FX sprayed over the rings

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/465745476166266.jpg

Gix11
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Barknmad, have you got any more photos of that spray job as it looks unreal? Did you do it and if you did how the hell did you do that! (coming from a paint novice here.........)

nelpd96
10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm with Gix on this I had no idea you could do this sort of thing. I know that it is not the sort of thing you can do in your backyard but it would be great to know how you do it all.

Cheers
Paul

BOHEMION
11-11-2006, 11:31 AM
These guys have some good info - As Pommie said there chrome FX and clear/Mirror Chromes are awesome!

http://alsacorp.com/paints.htm

barknmad
13-11-2006, 06:36 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/957701753121067.JPG

This paint job was done under the carport at home. It just takes a bit of practice and experiment. First a base colour goes down (this example was Holden Fusion from the Monaro. This becomes water repellant, so a light scuff is needed (very light, the direction you sand can create different crystal growth. So circular sanding gives fan type crystal whereas long straight strokes give long lines etc). The masking solution (the stuff you spray on to give the effect) was sprayed with a trigger pump sprayer, as it drys the crystal grow. Mine was the Urea fertilizer but you can also use epsom salts for a different effect. The next coat was the contrast (black here) which is lightly dusted on (this is where practice comes in to get the 3d effect). Once its dry, wash with water (dissolves the crystals, leaving the base coat), clear coat (lots). Done.

sheezymaneezy
13-11-2006, 11:53 AM
You make it sound so easy [8D]

nelpd96
13-11-2006, 02:41 PM
So let me get this right, you mixed fertilised in with water and detergent and sprayed it on your tank to get the crystals then sprayed the black over the top. Washed it off with water and then that is the result? If so then I really have to have a crack at this when I get the new bike. So using your theory on it all anything that will make a crystal pattern with it dries could be used?

Cheers
Paul

WATEVR
13-11-2006, 03:53 PM
im with sheezy u made it sound so easy but dam that paint looks frign good and excellent choice of colours which is 80% of it. well done

pommie
19-11-2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/990961608140918.JPG

Thanks to all that posted a reply great help & advice, here is my attempt at the crystal look, I tried twice but could not get it as dramatic as barknmad job, but it looks shit hot in the flesh, I used silver base = crystal = black = candy apple green = clear.

Large
19-11-2006, 08:16 PM
The Kraken Wakes?

EXBEN
19-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Pommie, To get a more 3D effect I use Red scotchbrite & don't be shy, really scrub into it with a random pattern, also forced air drying gives a tighter crystal, or a more open pattern is acheived by just letting it air dry in a warm(25-30deg) room(Personaly I think this looks better).
Oh & the effect works much better if you clear over the silver base then scotchbrite that cause you can scrub it harder without damaging the base,( But SHHH.......don't tell anyone:D)

WATEVR
20-11-2006, 02:10 PM
pommie that looks fucken awesome but i think u guys are making it sound just a little easier than it really is.... dam show offs!!

pommie
23-11-2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/54421167897763.JPG

just a couple of pics now shes back together

pommie
23-11-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/544211678105805.JPG

Gix11
23-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Farkin' 'ell! You start a topic asking about paints and shit and within 2 weeks she's finished and reassembled! You don't mess about do you mate? Nice work.

Foxy
23-11-2006, 01:39 PM
looks awesome mate, did you end up using alsa paints at all?

pommie
23-11-2006, 02:43 PM
quote: looks awesome mate, did you end up using alsa paints at all?

no not as yet, i had the rep come out and showed me the full range, but shit they are expensive, i would love to do the wheels in the chrome with gold candy over but just for the chrome, candy & the clear you are looking at around $800.
when i did my full paint job for $200 inc the candy.

Hillsy
23-11-2006, 07:45 PM
pommie - that looks awesome!

Gix - I think you need to pin this thread in a "how to" folder.

Gix11
24-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Nice idea Hillsy. It's now added to the HOW TO PAGE.

alfiestorm
01-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Just read this thread with great interest. Now I am going to practice an old rd200 side panel i have lying around it's just too damn interesting not to have a go if it works i'll stick a pic up on here and if it dont i'll show the pic of my fuck up :D so it should be interesting.

Rocket
01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Pommie that looks great !! Awesome job.

22-01-2007, 10:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by barknmad

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/957701753121067.JPG

This paint job was done under the carport at home. It just takes a bit of practice and experiment. First a base colour goes down (this example was Holden Fusion from the Monaro. This becomes water repellant, so a light scuff is needed (very light, the direction you sand can create different crystal growth. So circular sanding gives fan type crystal whereas long straight strokes give long lines etc). The masking solution (the stuff you spray on to give the effect) was sprayed with a trigger pump sprayer, as it drys the crystal grow. Mine was the Urea fertilizer but you can also use epsom salts for a different effect. The next coat was the contrast (black here) which is lightly dusted on (this is where practice comes in to get the 3d effect). Once its dry, wash with water (dissolves the crystals, leaving the base coat), clear coat (lots). Done.
{ive sent ya a pm mate }

Candyman
20-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Incredible work guys!

Can just any paint be used?

Mind sharing the recipe for the crystal-growing concoction? I know you said it was water, detergent, and urea based fertilizer; but what types and more importantly at what ratio? Are we talking liquid or powder laundry detergent? Liquid fertilizer or powder/pelet?

Knowing the recipe for this stuff would be awesome

EDIT: Just read the other thread linked in the How-to, that gives me what I need;)

Harry
16-01-2009, 06:15 PM
iv done 7 odd years industriel painting a long time ago and you guys have lost me but that looks beautiful...id love it on my next project sitting in the shed..an old 96 bandit. [:p]

spanky
04-02-2009, 09:12 PM
hi was wondering how much % urea needs to be in the fertiliser as i went into bunnings and didnt really know what i was lookin for. does any one know a specific brand and type maybe where they got it for us slow guys lol
if it helps im in brisbane.

miniman1
04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Thats looks awesome guys!!!!!! Good work!!!
Gonna hav a word with my painter mate and see if he can do this on my project

Frenchie
24-04-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/6922168482490.jpg

What do you guys think of my mutant/Godzilla paint job, used urea from the garden shop. Solution used was:

200mm Water at 20 degrees
100g Urea

So 500g to a 1 litre.

Hope you like it, next i'm gonna try less solution just a very very light coating.

Tell me what ya think[:p]

Bear
24-04-2009, 08:51 PM
That looks Jurassic! Nice. :)

uncle pervy
25-04-2009, 10:06 AM
what method did you use? i'm guessing no scouring but then what?

Frenchie
27-04-2009, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by uncle pervy

what method did you use? i'm guessing no scouring but then what?

Hey Mate,

Spray ya base coat on, then clear (one coat).
Cheap $2 trigger spayer from Woolies
Solution = 2 parts urea to 1 part water at 20 degrees
Spray on with light mist slowly building up pools of urea. To make custom blobs and shapes use eye dropper.
Leave for 24hours to develop hard crystals.
The good thing about the pools of crystals as apposed to the light crystals is that you can spray the black on heavier because as soon as the watered down cloth touches the pools it comes straight of no scrubbing or light sanding.
Then lots of Clear paint
Tomorrow i will post my final attempt which also included claw rips through out the paint work.
Have fun guys

potato
27-04-2009, 08:20 PM
bloody hell! seen a bit of this here in wa and it looks awesome.

dunno that i could be bothered doing it though and ive been painting cars and bikes 30yrs.

got a project under way here and might just hop off the fence and try it

potato
27-04-2009, 08:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by pommie

quote: looks awesome mate, did you end up using alsa paints at all?

no not as yet, i had the rep come out and showed me the full range, but shit they are expensive, i would love to do the wheels in the chrome with gold candy over but just for the chrome, candy & the clear you are looking at around $800.
when i did my full paint job for $200 inc the candy.

i priced the chrome paint, just the basecoat at $600 a us quart here in wa.so your 800 is about right.
there's an effect on car rims called shadow tone, you spray a full gloss black followd by a very fine silver then the clear.
that almost gives a chrome look.

Frenchie
29-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Hdey guys,
This is my finished product for my GSX550 Street fighter project, let me know what ya think.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1241025977.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1241044734.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1241011971.jpg

Ryan
29-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Looks great. Very 'monster energy' with the claws, but I think it rocks!!

uncle pervy
29-04-2009, 09:10 PM
got a bigger pic? it's hard to see
no seriously. it looks shit hot
i likes it

Gix11
29-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Now that is cool. Can you take a photo with a camera from at least the 80's so we can see it clearly as I reckon it would look even better.

JackTar
29-04-2009, 09:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Now that is cool. Can you take a photo with a camera from at least the 80's so we can see it clearly as I reckon it would look even better.

LOL

Beat me to it.

02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Hey guys..that looks awesome!!!
I'm doing up a gpz600 and have done most of the panels and tank in cheap matt black and would love to try this. Wondering if would I need to put any clear coat on first or just scour it?

cheers

02-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Btw, I would like to keep the color predomantly black...would more urea to the mix insure more covering?

Frenchie
02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Swampfox

Btw, I would like to keep the color predomantly black...would more urea to the mix insure more covering?

Hey mate,
Depends which effect you wont. If you wont the Jurassic look then yes the more urea on the surface the blacker it will be. Also your base color has to be green or what ever you choose then black is sprayed over urea, not the other way around. And for the Jurassic look put a clear coat after the base coat.

23-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Can anyone tell me what grit sand paper to use to get the weave look? and do i use a orbital sander or just by hand and how hard and for how long, tried it today but need my solution to be reconfigured and my technique. bit confused to, Who ever founded this was a genious though!!!